Jump to content

 

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

SCMike

LED Pod Lights for Tower - Floodlight or spotlight?

Recommended Posts

SCMike

I’m looking to add a set of front facing LED Pod Lights to my tower to use a docking lights and nighttime navigation.  

Im thinking about something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FHP2E8S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_8bnUBbD0MPHBQ 

I’m not sure if I should buy the spotlight version or floodlight version.  

I plan to make a custom bracket and mount them underneath my factory Rev10s where there is an empty sport for another pair.

 

Figured there are some lighting pros on this forum that can advise.

 

 

8923C153-DFB6-44E1-8CDE-FA72D43E7934.jpeg

4073C73B-A979-412D-88B6-2BC4FB1D5B78.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pnwrider

In most states it is illegal to run non nav lights on inland lakes at night time. And for good reason. You will blind and ruin night vision of any one else on the water. Also, it really doesn’t help you see like you think it would. I spend a lot of time running rivers in my duck boat at zero dark thirty and I have tried everything. Reverse LEDs wired to a separate switch on the truck help with getting on/off trailer the trailer in the dark. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SCMike
26 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

In most states it is illegal to run non nav lights on inland lakes at night time. And for good reason. You will blind and ruin night vision of any one else on the water. Also, it really doesn’t help you see like you think it would. I spend a lot of time running rivers in my duck boat at zero dark thirty and I have tried everything. Reverse LEDs wired to a separate switch on the truck help with getting on/off trailer the trailer in the dark. 

I’m not intending to add lights so I can run at night, but rather use as an aid for docking or navigation if I get caught in a bad situation.   There have been a few scenarios over the years where I have gotten caught in at night and it was so dark, I had to pull out the portable spot light just to avoid running aground.  I don’t ever plan to night surf, or even run more then 5 mph at night, but I’d like them in case the situation calls for it.  Malibu has docking and tower lights stock for these exact reasons.  My goal is to get best type of light for these situations.  I’m thinking the flood light is the way to go, but not 100% sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sparky450

I am on the water A LOT after dark. I have found that any light shining from the boat makes it more difficult to see anything except 3 feet in front of the boat. Best is moonlight or no light except maybe gif launching/retrieving. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SCMike

A few years back I was at Lake Oroville wrapping up a long day at the lake.  Sun was going down and we were about 30 min from complete darkness. Overcast sky and no moon.  I was about 15 min from Limesaddle marina where we launched and decided it was time to head in.  Right about then, we saw a boat in the distance waving us down, so I headed over to help it.  Of course the boat was broke down and we had to tow them into the marina. Hooked up and started to head in with the boat in tow.  We were a few miles out and it took about 2 hours to get to the marina.  It was so dark, I could barely see, but I was managing by staying close enough to shore that I was able to follow the shoreline (somewhat).  As I approached the marina, we suddenly hit something that I could not see.  It was a 2 inch think steel cable running from the shore into the water.  I feel if I had some sort of lighting I would have been able to avoid this and spare the massive scratch on the gel coat that wears a result. I had a similar experience at Shasta last year as well.  These are the scenarios I’m trying to plan for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SCMike
11 minutes ago, wheelman said:

https://www.visionxusa.com/shop/2-15-solstice-solo-prime/   

Look into these. Match your speaker design and work awesome. I have two pointing forward and 2 backwards. I’d recommend the spot lights in the 20 degree pattern. 

Thanks wheelman! How did you end up mounting them?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wheelman

I do not have a Malibu anymore, I have a ri. I mounted mine on the side of my tower. Like others said the forward facing ones will cause night blindness out in the pitch black middle of lake. Where they do work well is where they have something to reflect off so in close at marinas they will work well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cole2001

Tower lights are only good for coming into docks and picking up a surfer if you need some light to see them. Run full dark mode when trying to drive at night. 

Even then if it’s a small cable like you mentioned I don’t think they’ll help. Our boat slip is in a little sheltered cove around a corner and you’re still better off just with a flash light and nothing else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SCMike

Thanks for all the reply’s everyone.  Seems like doc lighting is more of novelty rather then a useful feature.  Maybe I’ll just add another pair of rev 10s in that empty spot, lol!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sixball

As said anything other then running lights at night are not legal if under power.  A hi mounted white light is a ( I am anchored )  oncoming boats can not see your nav lights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wheelman

Docking lights actually work better than tower lights as they are at the very front of the boat as do not light up the inside of the boat. Docking lights work very well for what they are designed to do. I use my tower lights and docking lights all the time and they work great for coming into my lift in the dark and when someone falls off my boat with their surf board at night  

 

Edited by wheelman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SCMike
1 hour ago, wheelman said:

Docking lights actually work better than tower lights as they are at the very front of the boat as do not light up the inside of the boat. Docking lights work very well for what they are designed to do. I use my tower lights and docking lights all the time and they work great for coming into my lift in the dark and when someone falls off my boat with their surf board at night  

 

I’d love to find some nice docking lights that go in the front of the boat, but I haven’t been able to find anything I like.  The ones on Bakes are not the right shape.  That’s why I though I’d throw them on the tower. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pnwrider
4 hours ago, SCMike said:

I’d love to find some nice docking lights that go in the front of the boat, but I haven’t been able to find anything I like.  The ones on Bakes are not the right shape.  That’s why I though I’d throw them on the tower. 

Does your lsv not have some currently? You should be able to order them thru your dealer. I know @Wakesetter67 added some to his 22 vlx after a season in the factory location. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wakesetter67
4 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

Does your lsv not have some currently? You should be able to order them thru your dealer. I know @Wakesetter67 added some to his 22 vlx after a season in the factory location. 

Yes you can get 2015 22 VLX and 23 LSV 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SCMike
7 hours ago, Wakesetter67 said:

Yes you can get 2015 22 VLX and 23 LSV 

@Wakesetter67 what did they lights cost you through the dealership?  I’ve tried getting a quote on these and a number of other items, but by dealer has an all new service department, and does not get back to me.  So frustrating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
granddaddy55

Order the factory ones, drill your hole and they are plug n play,wire probably there ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SCMike
1 hour ago, granddaddy55 said:

Order the factory ones, drill your hole and they are plug n play,wire probably there ?

I’d love to order the factory set, but I can’t seem to get my dealer to let me know how much they are.  I’ve callled 3 times on the lights and a few other upgrades I want to do, but never a call back with the info. Every time I call they take down my info, and never call back. I can’t find them online anywhere, so I figured I’d buy something aftermarket to add to the tower. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Idaorr
6 minutes ago, SCMike said:

I’d love to order the factory set, but I can’t seem to get my dealer to let me know how much they are.  I’ve callled 3 times on the lights and a few other upgrades I want to do, but never a call back with the info. Every time I call they take down my info, and never call back. I can’t find them online anywhere, so I figured I’d buy something aftermarket to add to the tower. 

I’d call Bakes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SCMike
4 minutes ago, Idaorr said:

I’d call Bakes!

I looked on their site and all they had was the old style.  Maybe I have to call? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sdva

lumitec  octane tower light same mounting and basic design they make the factory tower lights for the 2019s 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sdva
Falko

Flood lights. At no point should you be going fast enough to outrun their distance of sight (especially for docking) and the wide beam helps with finding something should that be the use.

Also carry a small spot light either rechargeable or plug wired that you can use to see distance if needed.

But only use them coming into docks or emergency as others have stated. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
malibuskier2003

I love the docking lights on my boat.  They're great for running around the marina when we launch in the dark.  

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...