Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast pump - what is a "cartridge only"?

If your housing is fine, you can just replace the “cartridge” which is what you have a photo of. It screws into the housing (full photo below) which is connected to the thru hull fitting. 

877DD5CE-7D30-4F5C-A49D-F3BE47BCB887.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...
On 10/6/2018 at 11:52 AM, Pnwrider said:

If your housing is fine, you can just replace the “cartridge” which is what you have a photo of. It screws into the housing (full photo below) which is connected to the thru hull fitting. 

877DD5CE-7D30-4F5C-A49D-F3BE47BCB887.jpeg

Thank you for posting this info. What does the housing look like?

So do they come stubbed with half the plug for that easy of a change out?

always wondered how the “cartridge change” worked.   PDF was great , if it comes stubbed with the plug , easy for tranny area pump

so what is it like trying to change the two in center bilge ?  Does taking out center floor hatch on the older axis get you easy access to unscrew the screw and line it up to put screw back in 

Edited by granddaddy55

Buy the 1100 and save the housing.  The cartridge fits both and if you ever want to upgrade to larger hose you'll have the 1100 housing.  After replacing a few of them over a few years I had enough housing to justify ordering larger hoses and doung a full upgrade.  The inlet is the same on the 900 and 1100, so its just a hose and fitting swap.

• 3 years later...

I just did this upgrade this weekend. Purchased the Shurflo Piranha 800 & 1100 Replacement Pump Cartridges. My problem was there was no power at the pump and the fuses kept blowing when troubleshooting. I guess when you run a broken pump, the 5 amp fuse blows (located below the wheel). I replaced the cartridges, replaced the 5 amp fuse, and all is good again.