Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rudder trim / pulling

I've searched and can't find an answer...

LH prop rotation should cause a boat to pull right with neural trim if I understand this correctly.  Our 2018 LSV with neutral trim tab pulls left (I have to steer right to keep boat from turning left)

This seems bass ackwards.  Only thing I can think of is the surf pipe could cause this?  IDK, I'm kinda stumped.  I would be more accepting of this if it was an older Nautique...

When I throttle back, It naturally turns to the left also.  I understand the trim tab on the rudder but I'm just lost as to why It's pulling to the left.

@Clearprop:  Correct, LHP rotation will make a neutral rudder boat pull slightly right.  Assuming since you note the tab, it is set to neutral, I would look at the rudder for any grinding marks if you acquired boat used or don't know history, look at the running gear for any damage or bent skegs, etc.  Does the boat list, if yes rebalance and check tracking.  I would also do a quick evaluation on rudder tab position to determine effect, a slight amount may be significant.

9 minutes ago, Woodski said:

@Clearprop:  Correct, LHP rotation will make a neutral rudder boat pull slightly right.  Assuming since you note the tab, it is set to neutral, I would look at the rudder for any grinding marks if you acquired boat used or don't know history, look at the running gear for any damage or bent skegs, etc.  Does the boat list, if yes rebalance and check tracking.  I would also do a quick evaluation on rudder tab position to determine effect, a slight amount may be significant.

boat is new, doesn't list, skegs are straight.  I'll move the trim tab.

ahopkins22LSV

IDK... Every Malibu I have ever driven has pulled to the left, like if I let go the steering wheel the boat will turn left. You want this torque on the rudder or "pull". Without it the boat will not track nearly as well and the steering will feel loose.

ahopkins22LSV
7 minutes ago, oldstv said:

While surfing goofy my boat will not pull at all, but switch sides and it is a different story.

Also common, you have two opposite forces from the surfgate and the prop.

6 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

IDK... Every Malibu I have ever driven has pulled to the left, like if I let go the steering wheel the boat will turn left. You want this torque on the rudder or "pull". Without it the boat will not track nearly as well and the steering will feel loose.

This is what’s happening. However EVERYTHING I’ve read says they should pull right. I guess I was thinking it should pull right. Not I’m confused even more. 

I've got mine set so that it steers dead straight with your hands off the wheel.  The v drives don't feel sloppy like a DD does with neutral steering.  Don't know if it is the size of the tracking fins or the weight distribution difference.

19 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I've got mine set so that it steers dead straight with your hands off the wheel.  The v drives don't feel sloppy like a DD does with neutral steering.  Don't know if it is the size of the tracking fins or the weight distribution difference.

Same for mine.  Dead straight (hands off wheel) at 30 mph.

• Like 1

Be aware that trim tab alone won't make a boat steer straight or pull to a side.  If you have a 250lb driver without balance on the other side you are going to pull right.  If you have a crapload of extra batteries and other weight on the passenger side you are going to pull left.  Even boards in the racks can impact how the boat sits and rides both from weight and their aerodynamic effect

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, Clearprop said:

What does your trim tab look like? To the port or starboard side? Centered? I’m curious...

Not sure, boat is in storge right now.  Unfortunately my season is over due to my wife having surgery.  I plan to pull it in a few weeks to get some warranty work done, and get it ready for next season.  I’ll try and remember to take some photos. 

5 hours ago, SCMike said:

Not sure, boat is in storge right now.  Unfortunately my season is over due to my wife having surgery.  I plan to pull it in a few weeks to get some warranty work done, and get it ready for next season.  I’ll try and remember to take some photos. 

When you take the photos, make sure you get a good one of the entire trailing edge of the rudder.  You'll want to check for symmetry of the edges on the trailing edge of the rudder.  The inboard guys tune the pre-load of the steering by filing one edge and a very little goes a long way, so any small variance or casting fault could be your problem.  Also, check the alignment of the tracking fins from the perspective of the rudder. 

I spoke w Malibu and they agree something is off. The trim window needs to be FULLY to the port for the boat to not have a left pull - this almost gives it a very slight right pull (how it should be)  

Also called the dealership, they are going to check everything with the help of the Malibu rep/service ppl. 

Something is off somewhere. They agree it shouldn’t pull left and there shouldn’t  need to be that much trim to get it “dialed in”.  Also they were concerned that the boat power slides if I released my hands from the wheel if the trim is in neutral position. They said that’s a safety concern.

ill report back in a couple weeks.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So I might have found my issue... I HOPE... I have a sunscape 25 rudder on my 23lsv.  I've been looking and every 23lsv I've seen has a vdrive2(?) rudder on it.  My leading edge is a 90 degree angle where as all the other 23's I've seen has a curved edge like a 'C'.  Anyway, I hope that's all it is...

only have picture of what's on my boat (sunscape25) that has a 90 degree leading edge... sunscape25 rudder

and this is the rudder I've seen on every other 23lsv rudder

I'm not sure if that could cause the control issue I'm having but I seems like it could...

I know they are bad examples but it's all I could fine.  Notice the sunscape rudder is a 90 degree angle on the leading edge to the bottom of the rudder where as the vdrive2 has a curved leading edge to the bottom. 

Edited by Clearprop
ahopkins22LSV

Well that’s a pretty significant difference so it could play a factor. I don’t know the hydro dynamics enough to say for sure but I’d ask your dealer if they would be will to let you swap to see.