Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 Malibu fuel pressure always below 27psi - fuel pump?

curiousgeorgerob

So I purchased a 2000 Malibu Escape LSV,  took it out the first time and it would bog down and struggled to get over 2500 RPM.  Boat has the Indmar engine. Surprised in that it didn't jump out of the water.  Tested the fuel pressure with gauge and with the key on it popped up to 25 psi.  Swapped out the old fuel pump for a new one. Same issue, under load at the lake I could get it to almost 30 psi, still no real power.  Replaced the filters (yes both of them), fuel pressure regulator on the rail, and put in another pump. (I have purchased faulty parts in the past failing out of the box) and again same results.  I saw on a forum here that the pressure should be well north of 25 psi, I think the pump is rated somewhere in the 75 psi range.  No plugged screens at the fuel pump or at the fuel rail's fuel pressure regulator.  I know I am missing something.  The boat gods are frowning on me!

What about the fuel lines themselves? Even if they look okay on the outside, I’ve seen the inside corroded causing them not to let fuel flow free because ethanol damaged them.

Edited by BlindSquirrel
39 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

What about the fuel lines themselves? Even if they look okay on the outside, I’ve seen the inside corroded causing them not to let fuel flow free because ethanol damaged them.

This is a distinct possibility.  I have had it happen also. 

Try running the boat from a separate fuel tank.  You will need to plumb the return line to the tank also.  

• Like 1

Yep. We solved the unsolvable mystery of my dads boat, simialr to this one, by running a new line straight from the pump to the fuel tank. Used the fuel gauge line hole to run the experimental line.

Figured it out! So I dug into it again today.  The problem appears to be the fuel pressure regulator.  The original and the replacement must have been faulty.  I figured it out by going to Lowes and getting a rubber stopper from the hardware area which I trimmed down to fit in the hole where the pressure regulator was located.  I then zip tied it into place around the fuel rail (actually I did this after I shot it and fuel into the air when I put power to the fuel pump the first time).  The pressure with power went straight up to 50 psi.   Don't know why both fuel pressure were failing at 25 - 27 psi, might be some safety feature so you can limp off the lake.  Plan to pick up another fuel pressure regulator tomorrow. 

Thanks for the suggestions, I did try the new gas line from an external gas tank to the fuel pump bypassing everything else but this had no effect.  Fuel lines are all good. Figured it out just in time to winterize it for the season.

• Like 3