Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Considering a 2019 Response TXI

BoatFlyRide

I have a 2002 Response LX that I’ve owned for about 7 years. It’s been a great boat but is feeling a bit small for my growing family. I primarily barefoot; however the river across the street from my house has a slalom course so I’m interested in learning that sport as well. 

I’ve demo’d a Sanger DXII and while the wake was lovely the boat is just too small.

Does anyone have experience with the TXI with the 450hp engine option? What’s the top speed?

How is the wake for barefooting?

Thanks!!

Sanger wakes are lovely for footing but rotten for slalom.  I spent a bunch of time this year behind a DXII and it's a tank.

While I'm sure you can foot it just fine, the TXi is a very wet hull.  All the new slalom boats are.  It takes a lot of HP and a lot of gas to make footing speeds.  They make great slalom wakes by "shaping" the water rather than trying to be as light as possible and skim along the top of it like the older boats did.

Have you given any thought to a late model Malibu like the Response or Sunsetter LXi?  That will give you wakes and performance like you get from your Response with more space.  Won't quite be the slalom boat of a new TXi, but they're arguably better layouts for family and are definitely more efficient barefoot hulls.

• Like 2

+1 on sunsetter lxi or older response lxi. If family and space are a priority behind footing/skiing then you can’t get much better.

alternative is a vtx, but I don’t know how they foot.

@BoatFlyRide:  Hard to beat the RLX or the earlier SV23 hulls for barefooting.  FYI - the barefoot schools did not like the Gen 2 LXI (2007+) so keep that in mind as you search, the TXI is slightly modified from that one, wider beam and a taller inner strake.  I have not footed behind one.  The Gen 1 LXI ('03-'06) is considered one of the better boats out there, good wakes for both and wider than your RLX although a bit of a nose dipper if not careful.  The TXI is another step wider beam, check the resources section for specifications.  Top speed will be mid 40's and as noted does take a lot of power (and fuel) to push the newer boats through the water.  The Sanger slalom wake will not compare to any of the Malibu options, will be much taller and harder at all line lengths.

I’ve looked at the LXI’s but the “good” hulls are pushing 10-15 years old. Plus I wouldn’t buy a 383 Hammerhead boat so I’d be stuck looking for a LS-power. It’s my understanding those boats are RARE.

My current rig has 1300ish hours and is starting to show its age. Just feels like the boat always needs “something”. 

Maybe the solution is two boats!! Haha.

Edited by BoatFlyRide
Grammar
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, BoatFlyRide said:

I’ve looked at the LXI’s but the “good” hulls are pushing 10-15 years back old. Plus I wouldn’t buy a 383 Hammerhead boat so I’d be stuck looking for a LS-power. It’s my understanding those boats are RARE.

My current rig has 1300ish hours and is starting to show its age. Just feels like the boat always needs “something”. 

Maybe the solution is two boats!! Haha.

Monsoon 325 in those older hulls will pull a 4 man barefoot line.  You don't need the Hammerhead or LS1 to barefoot those.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

Monsoon 325 in those older hulls will pull a 4 man barefoot line.  You don't need the Hammerhead or LS1 to barefoot those.

No doubt, I just like power. Also, I occasionally do some endurance racing so being able to pull a footer 45-48 would be nice.  

All first world problems I guess.

18 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Here ya go!  In polo white too!  Now if it only had the red interior (sigh)  https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2008-malibu-corvette-limited-edition-sport-v-103343475/

My dogs would have a field day with that interior. Plus my barefooting buddies would tease me to no end! Haha. I love the motor tho!

2 minutes ago, BoatFlyRide said:

My dogs would have a field day with that interior. Plus my barefooting buddies would tease me to no end! Haha. I love the motor tho!

Yeah, but then you could show them the power side windows and they'd shut up.  lol

1 hour ago, BoatFlyRide said:

I was told that tweaked out those boats could go well over 60 mph.  A little chine walking, too!  

2 hours ago, UWSkier said:

btw, the Hammerhead 383 is a decent engine and I wouldn't shy away from one with a couple hundred hours on it.  It was the 365 that was kinda so-so on the reliability front.

sorry i i've  got to disagree with you on that...     see my hammerhead posts

• 2 weeks later...

How many new TXi owners do we have one board?  I have been considering new TXi myself from my current 03 response.  I got a big family, we ski and we barefoot at 6000ft so she is propped down to a point that 44 is all the speed I can get.  I was under the impression my 03 goes quite a bit fater than that 44 at sea level so If new TXi is maxes at 40?  I also thought the new TXi had more space not less?

The new ski tugs are designed to perform best at 36mph, 41’ off. Anything else they’ve gotten more inefficient over the years for the average skier. Engine horse powers have gone up, weights gone down and speed lower. 

One of our ski club guys got a txi this year. I didn’t ski it but he sure seemed to like it. Then again everyone around there is very brand loyal. 

@bbelt:  The new TXI is roomier simply due to wider beam, but that does not translate to more seating capacity.   Wider beam, more wetted surface requires more horsepower to achieve same top speed, I don't think there is a combination that will run faster than an earlier RLX or RLXi.   Your other question will be how does a TXi barefoot, the Gen 2 RLXi (07 on) were not as good as the one you have, feedback I have gotten is TXI hull is a slight modification to the Gen 2 RLXi hull.  Try before you buy would be my advice, it skis very well but I have not footed behind one.

Hmmm, not so bent on new TXi.  But would really like to downgrade my hours.  Broke 500 hrs this year and that is my arbitrary number to start looking, as in a few years and then maybe buy.  Just assumed the newer models would be better.  Thats too bad.  I already know I would miss my ski locker.  

Been looking on onlyinboards for low hour 2016 or older.  I don't suppose they will get easier to find as the years roll by.

I suppose i should add we are not pro barefooters.  The boys do some work off the boom, I get out now and again to show them something they are struggling with but my neck doesn't like the crashes anymore.  Mostly we open water slalom.  I Just like the ski boat and dont want to get sucked into tug boat arms race so TXi seems like basically the only option.

@bbelt:  Do you have specific concerns going over the 500 hour mark?  Operationally, 500 is early in the life cycle of a ski tug.

To your comment on using the boom - make note that all the newer ski tugs produce more side spray and need boom extensions to get out of the spray off the side, you can find threads on this site commenting to that.  It has become increasingly more difficult to find an excellent combo barefoot / slalom boat, the first few generations of the SV23 hull were probably the best options built.