Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 LSV 23 vs 2019 MXZ 22

Fbeltrao

As you may know I’m in the new boat acquisition process. I was leaning towards the mxz 24 but I’m not getting into an agreement with my wife - she thinks that for the price we should think about the G. Now I’m trying to decide between the mxz 22 and the lsv 23. I’m a 100% wakeboard (90% cause my kids like to surf). Any thoughts on the wakeboard wake of these boats? I have people telling me that the MXZ is the way to go however I had the impression that the new LSV has a more well shaped wake and the PW gives the extra kick that we all wakeboarders like. And btw I think the LSV looks better, taller when on the water.....

Not wanting to get back to the mxz 24 dilemma but it is incredible for me at least how more sizeable the wake in the MXZ24 is in comparison to the MXZ22.......

Any feedback would be highly appreciated

Btw it is sort of the good problem to have since all these boats are great and surely are well above my wakeboard capabilities (handful of inverts and spins) but it is always good to count with others experience!!!!!!

With your tricks you should go for whatever wakeboard wake you want and both G and 24mxz at top of that list , kids will enjoy either surf wave , mxz being better, so now it’s down to fit,  finish, family comfort in cabin vs bow though G seems to do both sections well without hurting either(mxz did seem to be roomy in cabin as well but we didn’t have a crowd) , now go for preferred brand and if concerned about sale turn around buy the 23 LSV or G

thought the mxz surf wave in a 17 was insane with reasonable bow rise with no on cushion sacs anywhere, (no sacs same for G but slightly lesser wave unless boat is loaded with people  on top of stock ballast )

snd isn’t the G still an over the side pump/drain of locker sacs or have they finally put an option for pnp?  Though with or without it’s a premium wake

also with the G walk through to swim platform , wife has to be good enough to know to turn that wheel on plane down or you keep eating that water over back deck , not sure about mxz on that issue 

i think once used to the throttle control , I thought a 2013 G (1st year ) to be a dream to drive (wifey?).  If she’s your driver I would have her drive the demos !!

Edited by granddaddy55
2 hours ago, Fbeltrao said:

As you may know I’m in the new boat acquisition process. I was leaning towards the mxz 24 but I’m not getting into an agreement with my wife - she thinks that for the price we should think about the G. Now I’m trying to decide between the mxz 22 and the lsv 23. I’m a 100% wakeboard (90% cause my kids like to surf). Any thoughts on the wakeboard wake of these boats? I have people telling me that the MXZ is the way to go however I had the impression that the new LSV has a more well shaped wake and the PW gives the extra kick that we all wakeboarders like. And btw I think the LSV looks better, taller when on the water.....

Not wanting to get back to the mxz 24 dilemma but it is incredible for me at least how more sizeable the wake in the MXZ24 is in comparison to the MXZ22.......

Any feedback would be highly appreciated

Btw it is sort of the good problem to have since all these boats are great and surely are well above my wakeboard capabilities (handful of inverts and spins) but it is always good to count with others experience!!!!!!

I think that the MXZ has a better transition than the LSV, but it's all personal preference.  Not to mess with you too much, but I liked the 24MXZ the best of the three. If you aren't doing doubles or 10s, I don't think either boat will disappoint.

The LSV might be a slight bit taller (more freeboard) but it isn't going to be a night and day difference.  The G does have more freeboard if that is a concern.  

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

We are thinking these 2 different boats as well. We are coming from a 17 A22 with the 409. My question is the dealer is recommending the 450 in the MXZ but not so much in the 23LSV. Do you guys think it is necessary to upgrade to the 450 or is the 410 good? We surf and wakeboard about the same amount of time, when we do surf I will weigh the boat down considerable to make it long. The lakes we boat at are around 500-800 feet so elevation does not play a factor in it. Thanks for any feedback. 

On 10/2/2018 at 7:22 AM, granddaddy55 said:

snd isn’t the G still an over the side pump/drain of locker sacs or have they finally put an option for pnp?  Though with or without it’s a premium wake

also with the G walk through to swim platform , wife has to be good enough to know to turn that wheel on plane down or you keep eating that water over back deck , not sure about mxz on that issue 

The G has 2850 pounds of stock ballast, so most do just stock.  You can put in sacks that work with the tanks, but they are a little painful to install, not a factory option.  

I was surprised when I test drove a 2019 23 LSV and came off plane quickly that some water came over the rear hatches. Yes, the entire hatches.   It is not as much as you can get with a G, but it for sure happened, surprising me.  PNP full and 5 men in the boat, none in the bow. 150 pounds of lead in the walkway as far as it would go forward.   It is a pretty big Pavlov's dog sort of thing....once you take water over the back when wakeboarding, you will be conditioned quickly to not allow that to happen.   Your wife will do it once or twice, but not more.  I find it a non-issue, mostly something salesmen of other brands talk about, because it will happen on a test drive, but not much once you own the boat.  

I loved the adjustability of the surf wave on the Malibu.  

Don't forget your dealer.  If the Malibu dealer is better, don't even put the G into the equation. 

5 hours ago, Johnnyk said:

We are thinking these 2 different boats as well. We are coming from a 17 A22 with the 409. My question is the dealer is recommending the 450 in the MXZ but not so much in the 23LSV. Do you guys think it is necessary to upgrade to the 450 or is the 410 good? We surf and wakeboard about the same amount of time, when we do surf I will weigh the boat down considerable to make it long. The lakes we boat at are around 500-800 feet so elevation does not play a factor in it. Thanks for any feedback. 

The 410 is plenty for the 23 LSV until you get into higher elevations. I don't know the 24 MXZ as well but most of those have the 450. 

On 10/2/2018 at 6:17 AM, Fbeltrao said:

Any thoughts on the wakeboard wake of these boats?

Speaking from limited experience - I've ridden (wakeboard only) an M, a G, the new star, and a 24 MXZ.  MXZ was my favorite by far.  It was probably just right for my riding style.  If I was in that market that is where I would start.  Just MO. 

On 11/11/2018 at 9:50 AM, Johnnyk said:

Do you guys think it is necessary to upgrade to the 450 or is the 410 good? 

My dealer told me no as the lift mode on PW3 will get you on plane, but I would imagine with the kind of weight you might run that it would be a good idea.

First thing.  You really need to drive the boats weighted, and ride behind them.

I have the 2018 23 lsv.  I live in florida ( like 089ft elev.). The 410 is working just fine.  I have 100+ hrs of surfing on it not putt putt around.  I go in boat, fill ballast and surf.  And yes it’s been a good summer.

the boat does not struggle at all.  I mean it’s not a rocket ship but it gets going fine.  No long drag to get up. It’s strange to say but it seems to not care if it’s weighted.  It just pulls

I surf.  Factory + pnp and 300 lbs of lead wake bags I move around.  Kick the wedge in pretty far because I like it steep.  Got the high altitude prop

That that said I have had full boat of 9 people plus another 500 lbs sack once and it still moved  good but the boat was heavy as hell and seemed it was approaching its top performance capacity.  I wound up emptying some ballast not because the boat was dogging bad but It just didn’t need it.  Seemed like minimal gain on wave.

As far as wakeboarding if you load the same as you do for surfing I would consider the boat slammed heavy.  It goes, the lift feature helps if you load the heck out of boat and once going with the wedge all the way the wake is big and the boat is reveled up to like 4500 rpm at 23mph.  I initially thought the rpms were high in general but the motor is different then my previous 2004 malibu.

basically what I have concluded is the boat is engineered to throw a wave/wake (duh) It’s not a runabout and wake like my 2004vlx  was.  It is really happy at 3500-4500 rpm.  And the torque curve shows it.  Its crazy but it seems to be happier weighted too.  It’s a pig period.  Put 800 ft lbs in it and it’s still a pig.  I don’t see tug boats jumping out of the water but they pull.

now if I could justify the 575 I probably would’ve got it but for that coin i didn’t see it necessary.  Plus the high octane requirement means no ethanol free gas, and all my problems with my other water vessels stopped when I started going ethanol free.

to me the 23 lsv with the 410 and high alt prop 15.5 inch is balanced well it’s not under powered.  But if you really push the weight way beyond factory &pnp with a full boat of people in higher altitude maybe you should consider the 575.  I would skip right over the 450 it’s a marketing trap.  

If malibu put a 17” prop on the 23lsv no one would prob buy the 575 on it. Unless you live up in nose bleed land.

When you really dig into it I believe malibu put the right power/prop on the right boats.  You just have to dial in what’s best for you.  And if you want all the bases covered with no doubts be prepared to shell out lots of dough

Edited by Dwake
1 hour ago, 05hammerhead said:

My dealer told me no as the lift mode on PW3 will get you on plane, but I would imagine with the kind of weight you might run that it would be a good idea.

Ahh couldn’t seem to figure out how to put quote in

Edited by Dwake

You will be super happy with both boats wakes and waves. I've rode both the new 22MXZ and 23LSV hulls, fully loaded with 8-10 people and the 410 motor in each. The lift mode on the wedge is awesome and really helps planing out. For surfing, we were surfing with everything full but I think we had to drain each rear tank to 75% to wakeboard. The wakeboard wake was insane on both even with emptying the ballast. I wouldn't worry about wake/wave for your decision as you'll likely not notice a difference and they're both awesome.

I would focus on the larger differences, like traditional vs. pickle fork, where you want your space (bow or cabin) and if you want a walk-through or not. Other than these differences, the options are about the same on each boat. Hope this helps!

• Like 1

We surf at an elevation of 1075 ft. and the 410 motor is fine. Although our boat is a 2017 23 lsv, we still weigh it down with full pnps (750 lbs) and a 600 lb bag up front.  Even with 8-10 adults, we have no problems surfing. For wakeboarding, we do drain 75% of the pnps and the bag up front and the performance is fine.  We don't even use the high altitude prop. 

Edited by bbattiste247
Me stupid
2 hours ago, Dwake said:

to me the 23 lsv with the 410 and high alt prop 15.5 inch is balanced well it’s not under powered.  But if you really push the weight way beyond factory &pnp with a full boat of people in higher altitude maybe you should consider the 575.  I would skip right over the 450 it’s a marketing trap.  

I considered this, but to go from a 410 to a 575 was a $17,000 update.  Im 100% not kidding.  It was ~$5,500 to go to a 450, and another $12,000 to go to 575.

On 11/12/2018 at 12:26 PM, 05hammerhead said:

I considered this, but to go from a 410 to a 575 was a $17,000 update.  Im 100% not kidding.  It was ~$5,500 to go to a 450, and another $12,000 to go to 575.

Yep that's been the basic pricing since they started offering the super charger.  I'm at almost 5500ft of elevation, and the thing has all the power in the world.  When we drop a couple thousand at powell it's crazy how much it has

1 hour ago, CJAY said:

Yep that's been the basic pricing since they started offering the super charger.  I'm at almost 5500ft of elevation, and the thing has all the power in the world.  When we drop a couple thousand at powell it's crazy how much it has

My dealer told me the pricing went up $5,000 with the new malibu/PCM motors over the ford motors.  Maybe he was mistaken.

38 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

My dealer told me the pricing went up $5,000 with the new malibu/PCM motors over the ford motors.  Maybe he was mistaken.

Base pricing went up 4% for the 2019 boats, which is an annual increase, but engine pricing is relatively consistent from 2018 to 2019. Maybe he was trying to use the engine change as the reason for the base price increase this year.

4 hours ago, NWBU said:

Base pricing went up 4% for the 2019 boats, which is an annual increase, but engine pricing is relatively consistent from 2018 to 2019. Maybe he was trying to use the engine change as the reason for the base price increase this year.

Yeah I think the engine pricing has been consistent since 2014