Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need help with sound. Rockford amps.

Imracin68j

I got the boat reamped and have to have the deck on full throttle to get it where it needs to be.  The stereo shop says its the stereo that's keeping it from going loud and said switching to the Rockford deck would help a lot.  The problem is it means replacing all the remotes that came on the 2008 and I don't think I'd have control from the driver spot as the main remote is on the side walk-way.  Is there any other options?  Do you think I need better amps?

AMPS:

Rockford Fosgate 600W Punch Series 4-Channel Stereo Class AB Car Power Amplifier

Rockford Fosgate P1000X5 1000W RMS Punch Series 5-Channel Class D Car Amplifier

10 speakers + 1 12 inch sub rockford marine. 

Edited by Imracin68j

im guessing 4 tower speakers and 6 in-boat? What zone, tower, in-boat or woofer, is not meeting your goals? Do you use tuner, USB or universal BT?

If its the tower zone, what speakers do you have up there? Are you looking for surf/party cove or wake range projection?

If it's the stereo that doesn't have the balls, and assuming that all of your speakers are driven from amps and not the HU, then they are saying that it's not pushing enough voltage over the pre-amp outputs.  There are several options if that's the case:

1. turn up the gains (that's what they are for)

2. get a line driver to put between the HU and the amps.  Audiocontrol matrix comes to mind but there are others.

3. get an EQ/Line Driver like the wetsounds ws420/exile zld/clarion eqs755 (cheap!)/audiocontrol three.1, which gives you the added benefit of zone control.  

The head unit goes up to 45.  It needs to be there when we ride.  I just don't like running everything full tilt.  Would adding another amp help? You can't even hear the unit at 25.

Edited by Imracin68j

Your gains are not set right. You should be setting your gains with your head unit no higher than 36. Put your head unit at 36 and then adjust each of your gains till speakers start to distort then back off the gains a notch. 

40 minutes ago, Imracin68j said:

The head unit goes up to 45.  It needs to be there when we ride.  I just don't like running everything full tilt.  Would adding another amp help? You can't even hear the unit at 25.

All this is relative. As long as the head unit puts out a clean, unclipped signal at that point, there is nothing wrong with setting the amp gains to match, at that point. Or, you can set the amp gains so the amp makes its full power, with the head unit at a lower head unit setting. One downside, is if someone cranks the head unit volume past your set point, you run the risk of clipping and distortion. 

One thing not noted here, what speakers you have, and where are you trying to hear them. Need some gear details and how its intended to be used. 

• 2 months later...

I think I’m going to switch to wet sound amps. Two reasons.  One is these amps get so hot. It gets the glove box hot and I think something might catch fire. It would melt a plastic bottle for sure.  Ref said that’s normal. 2 is they just aren’t that loud. I’m running the deck full throttle. I got 10 speakers in boat and one 12. Can someone tell me what wet sound amps to get?

For the amount of speakers your have there are numerous amp combinations.  Reach out to James at creative audio, he can recommend a set up and do a package deas for a price that cant be beat.  

5 hours ago, Imracin68j said:

I got 10 speakers in boat and one 12. Can someone tell me what wet sound amps to get?

As asked back on the 2nd of oct, we need details about the gear you are running:

what speaker model and size, how many in the boat and how many on the tower?

Tower:  
2  6 inch Rockford -  PM262B
2  8 inch Rockford - M2 M282B

Front Bow: 

Front window: 

Side Panels:

Rear Panel:

Foot Box: 
1 x 12 inch Rockford speaker

Amps: 
1X Rockford Fosgate P1000X5 1000W RMS Punch Series 5-Channel Class D Car Amplifier

1X Rockford Fosgate 600W Punch Series 4-Channel Stereo Class AB Car Power Amplifier

The guy at the stereo shop said it's my deck that's limiting everything but I can't really change it without losing total control of the dash controls. 

On a side note, I have some whining sounds when I crank the volume up.  Is that a ground deal?

Ok, it seems you have 4 tower speakers and 8 in-boats. The only logical scenario would be to have the 4 towers on the 4 chnls and the 8 in-boats and woofer on the 5 chnls. Your 6.5" and 8" tower speakers are coaxial. Great for surf and party cove, but less then ideal for wake range. Wattage distribution is as follows:

100W rms to each tower pod. Ok for a 6.5 coax, but about half of what id want to drive an 8" at. So not the fault of the head unit

Sub 65W rms to each in-boat. Decent for 8 in-boats, but they could be driven to their limits by doubling the RMS. 

For the tower setup, an amp like the Wet Sounds Syn-DX2 would drive the 6.5" and 8" with plenty.

If the 12" woofer is a 4 ohm, then the Syn-DX6 for eight in-boats woofer. If the woofer is a 2 ohm, then go with a Syn-DX4 for speakers and HTX-1 for woofer. 

Excessive gain or improper wiring can cause noise. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2018 at 4:27 PM, wheelman said:

Your gains are not set right. You should be setting your gains with your head unit no higher than 36. Put your head unit at 36 and then adjust each of your gains till speakers start to distort then back off the gains a notch. 

Not entirely true. The gains need to be set at the highest head unit voltage output before it clips. That number may 42 or 39. Best way to set gains is with a test tone.

On 12/15/2018 at 7:15 PM, Imracin68j said:

The guy at the stereo shop said it's my deck that's limiting everything but I can't really change it without losing total control of the dash controls. 

On a side note, I have some whining sounds when I crank the volume up.  Is that a ground deal?

What deck is it? Or did I miss that post?

On 10/1/2018 at 7:19 PM, shawndoggy said:

If it's the stereo that doesn't have the balls, and assuming that all of your speakers are driven from amps and not the HU, then they are saying that it's not pushing enough voltage over the pre-amp outputs.  There are several options if that's the case:

1. turn up the gains (that's what they are for)

2. get a line driver to put between the HU and the amps.  Audiocontrol matrix comes to mind but there are others.

3. get an EQ/Line Driver like the wetsounds ws420/exile zld/clarion eqs755 (cheap!)/audiocontrol three.1, which gives you the added benefit of zone control.  

I second the Matrix. Its a nice line driver. But be careful, too high a voltage can burn up inputs on amps not made to take higher than 4 volts.

3 hours ago, COOP said:

Not entirely true. The gains need to be set at the highest head unit voltage output before it clips. That number may 42 or 39. Best way to set gains is with a test tone.

Yes, but knowing he was using the factory deck and tuning lots of these my comment was a basic easy tuning suggestion which will get him as close as he can get by ear to help the op get better sound from his system. 

4 hours ago, Imracin68j said:

Would I notice a sound difference going from 2 8nch RF marine speakers and 2 6-inch marine speakers vs. going to a pair of Rev 10s?  maybe 2 pairs?

Absolutely a noticeable difference. Size matters. The larger 10" driver will deliver deeper mid-bass then any number or smaller speakers. I think you will also see a volume advantage due to the HLCD, compared to two conventional tweeters. 

2 hours ago, Imracin68j said:

I just got the WetSounds 420.

Ive not found an amp yet, that the line level of that EQ has over saturated. You should be just fine as long as the entire gain structure from head to amps, is correct.