Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

new boat every year?

OnlyInboards

i've got a buddy who works for Supreme and he is required to take ownership of a new boat every year.

supposed to go to events, market, pull, etc...

apparently - Supreme pays the loan for that year, then they have to take over payments/debt of the boat at the end of the year - and start over.

they sell the boat for what they can get - and usually break even

not a bad deal

I did it as a promo dirver (if you want the real details do a search on this site for my name and promo driver) for 5 years. Went to all the events, worked the shows, taught clinics, etc... Got a deal on the boat every year could usually break even or pocket a bone or two and still give the guy a good deal on a great boat that had the bugs worked out of them.

As a general paying customer I'd never do it every year even if I had the cash. Main reason, IMHO is it takes a good year to get the little things worked out of the boats and you would constantly (which I was) be fighting the stupid crap. Everything from loose screws to failed electrical parts. Unless a huge innovation in design or new model comes out I'd say every three years would get you a nicely upgraded boat.

Main reason, IMHO is it takes a good year to get the little things worked out of the boats...

I couldn't agree more. My current boat is my first, and after getting the kinks worked out, I have been an extremely happy camper every since.

To answer the OP'ster...I would say someone getting a new boat every year is rare. You may see it more often on a site like this, but you gotta remember some of the people on this site are fanatics/lunatics about boats, so they would not represent the general boat buying population. :)

As for me, I'm happy where I am with a 4 year old, paid for boat. I plan on keeping it a very long time, as it has become a big part of my family's recreation and it suits our needs to a 'T', and everything on it seems to be holding up great.

If money was no object, sure a new boat annually would be swell... Another reason to trade is if your the type of owner that just uses the boat to the max (trashes)and don't want to be bothered with cleaning and maintaining. It's not a big deal that the rotweiller ate the upholstery and then puked it up on the carpet...it happens...I know a few of these folks..

Main reason, IMHO is it takes a good year to get the little things worked out of the boats...

I couldn't agree more. My current boat is my first, and after getting the kinks worked out, I have been an extremely happy camper every since.

To answer the OP'ster...I would say someone getting a new boat every year is rare. You may see it more often on a site like this, but you gotta remember some of the people on this site are fanatics/lunatics about boats, so they would not represent the general boat buying population. :)

As for me, I'm happy where I am with a 4 year old, paid for boat. I plan on keeping it a very long time, as it has become a big part of my family's recreation and it suits our needs to a 'T', and everything on it seems to be holding up great.

Stewart, You gonna let him talk about you like that??

I will be getting a new one every year from now on. I work part time with a dealership and my boat is the one that will pull both of our tournaments and our clinics. If I did not have a promo boat, I personally would only get one every three or four years after 400 or so hours. I really think you loose if you don't at least keep it for the warranty period.

On a side note... I will be selling a VLX around every August, so keep a look out if you want a used boat that's like new. Here is a link to my current 2007 Wakesetter VLX. PICS RIGHT HERE!

Do you know Jack? I just wanted to say Hi! ("Hijack'). :lol:

Trentster Rockon.gif

Edited by Trentster

I've gotten a new one every 2-3 years since 99, except I did just go one year on my last one (sold an 05, got an 06). I thought I might need to raise some cash so I put the 05 on the market, but it turned out that I didn't need it, so I ordered a new 06. I will probably hang onto my current boat for a couple more years though. Getting the bugs worked out is nice, and since Bu keeps raising their prices (and I don't go nuts on the colors, stereo, etc), resale value still seems to be very good after a couple years.