Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 mxz 24 engine 450

Fbeltrao

45 minutes ago, Fbeltrao said:

Is the 450 engine enough for the mx24 - 100% wakeboard at 3000 high?

Tks!

It should be but I have not tried it at wakeboard speed yet.  I added the hi torque prop. I recently had 16 on board, full ballast with #560 pnp, wedge at 2 clicks down, running at 11.2 at 1000'  Had plenty of throttle and was running at about 3800 rpms.

yes, absolutely!  rode in the 2019 25 LSV with that 450 engine, full ballast and full PNP and 8 adults and it never even felt slightly taxed for power.  This was at 200' elevation.  At worst, you might have about 8-10% power loss at your elevation.  General rule of thumb is 3% per 1000' elevation, someone correct me if this is no longer the "rule"

1 hour ago, TXSurfGorilla said:

yes, absolutely!  rode in the 2019 25 LSV with that 450 engine, full ballast and full PNP and 8 adults and it never even felt slightly taxed for power.  This was at 200' elevation.  At worst, you might have about 8-10% power loss at your elevation.  General rule of thumb is 3% per 1000' elevation, someone correct me if this is no longer the "rule"

That would have been the Malibu built engine. The boat he is asking about comes with the PCM one.

Edited by 23LSVOwner

Would be fine for surfing, but may struggle getting on plane with full ballast and people in the boat for wakeboarding. If you wakeboard with full ballast and max wedge, I would go with the bigger engine or know going in that you may need to drain some ballast to plane. The 24MXZ has more rear weight than the 25LSV due to where the helm is placed on the boat, so it will plane differently.

@TXSurfGorilla I think the  2019 25LSV only comes with the new M6di or the 555 LSA engine... The 450 isn't an engine option anymore for that boat.

4 minutes ago, TXSurfGorilla said:

My friends 2018 24MXZ we had surfed a couple days before had the Monsoon 450.  It also had no problem getting the job done :biggrin:

also a different engine (ford)

9 minutes ago, TXSurfGorilla said:

My friends 2018 24MXZ we had surfed a couple days before had the Monsoon 450.  It also had no problem getting the job done :biggrin:

And surfing is much easier with a smaller engine than getting on plane for wakeboarding would be!

1 hour ago, 23LSVOwner said:

That would have been the Malibu built engine. The boat he is asking about comes with the PCM one.

I heard that the 2019 MXZ 24 is coming with the same engine as the new LSV 25 - the base engine. It came from the MAlibu rep. Isn’t it the case? 

I stand corrected, the 2019 25LSV we were in had the M6DI in it.  My bad.  It was whisper quite and impressive.

Malibu rep told the base engine for the 2019 mxz24 is the same as the LSV25. Wrong info?

I stand corrected, the 2019 25LSV we were in had the M6DI in it.  My bad.  It was whisper quite and impressive.

Just review the build list. The engine is the M6Di

11 minutes ago, Fbeltrao said:

Malibu rep told the base engine for the 2019 mxz24 is the same as the LSV25. Wrong info?

That looks right - I just checked and the only options are the M6Di and the 555 LSA for both the 25LSV and the 24MXZ - not sure when they made the switch in the 24, it has been the 450 until just recently.

So for those of you with more experience, I am curious of your opinion.  Do you choose a PCM engine that has a relatively solid reputation in the 555 LSA, but will likely only be included in the Malibu lineup for a limited time, or opt for the first year of Malibu marinized engines in the M6Di?  Does anyone know when or if Malibu will release a supercharged engine such as the 575 Raptor or 555 LSA? I have been told that the Malibu engine plant is quite spectacular....hope to get a look at it someday soon

1 hour ago, Fbeltrao said:

I heard that the 2019 MXZ 24 is coming with the same engine as the new LSV 25 - the base engine. It came from the MAlibu rep. Isn’t it the case? 

Unless something changed really recently it is supposed to come later.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
4 hours ago, Chappy said:

It should be but I have not tried it at wakeboard speed yet.  I added the hi torque prop. I recently had 16 on board, full ballast with #560 pnp, wedge at 2 clicks down, running at 11.2 at 1000'  Had plenty of throttle and was running at about 3800 rpms.

3800 seems high, but may be your only choice.

21 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Unless something changed really recently it is supposed to come later.

Yep, just found out from the factory that the 'bu motor was opened up for the 24MXZ.