Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winterizing 2017 LSV23 Raptor 410

guitarcrazy

I just winterized my 2017 LSV.  I found 4 blue plugs, and the fifth sticker was on the front of the impeller housing.  Is that all that needs to be pulled?  My dealer said there should be 5 plugs, but manual shows otherwise, and isn't particularly clear.  Luckily I have the factory installed whip for plug 3 so that wasn't as difficult as it used to be.  First time winterizing a closed cooled motor and it is definitely faster.  Thanks.  

Sounds like you found them all.  I tend to pull all the plugs and drain and then fill it with RV antifreeze for ... peace of mind.  I also tend to go 2 years on impellers so this way I don't have to take the cover off of the impeller as it doesn't hold a lot of water.  It takes just over 2 gallons so its cheap insurance.  I use a $10 pond pump and just pump it out of a bucket.  Too easy.

Which port do you run the antifreeze through?  I would think the whip from #3 would be the easiest to access.  Do you pump it in through one port and then wait until you see it coming out the other drains?  Thanks.  J

Thanks Tex.  I wonder why they want the impeller left out during the winter.  It appears that any water would run down the hose from the impeller housing, and leaving it open seems like a good way to get corrosion in the housing.  Do most people take the impeller out over the winter?  

1 hour ago, guitarcrazy said:

Thanks Tex.  I wonder why they want the impeller left out during the winter.  It appears that any water would run down the hose from the impeller housing, and leaving it open seems like a good way to get corrosion in the housing.  Do most people take the impeller out over the winter?  

I use to when I didn't fill block with antifreeze but now I leave it in and change it out in the spring.  I have a box of spares that look new but don't want my week long vacations disrupted by a $30 part.  When I did pull it out, I would liberally spray the housing with WD40 and never had a corrosion issue in that location.

I run the antifreeze in through the flush connector on the back of the boat.  If yours doesn't have it there should be hose fitting near the strainer.

I don't do anything with ballast other than make sure its empty.  I pull the bags and put them inside just to keep them from going through freeze/thaw cycles (maybe premature breakage of vinyl??).  

Total winterization takes less than 30 mins .. 1hr w/ oil change.

1 minute ago, pauley71 said:

I run the antifreeze in through the flush connector on the back of the boat.  If yours doesn't have it there should be hose fitting near the strainer.

I don't do anything with ballast other than make sure its empty.  I pull the bags and put them inside just to keep them from going through freeze/thaw cycles (maybe premature breakage of vinyl??).  

Total winterization takes less than 30 mins .. 1hr w/ oil change.

I take more time to wash my boat then it takes to winterize it.  I used to pump antifreeze into engine through a hose t fitting i made before the strainer.  This year probably wont do that. Also I usually dumped antifreeze into all hard tanks by pumping in.  Dont think i will do that this year either.  For whatever reason my strainer turned clear to white after putting in antifreeze and sitting through winter.  We do heated storage as well so all the antifreeze is probably overkill.  Typically drain all spots that need draining.  Fog engine. Unhook batteries. Wash and wax boat.  Before summer I will change all oils, impeller.

3 hours ago, guitarcrazy said:

In my older boats I never removed the impeller, just pulled the J hose and made sure the water was drained (Mastercraft with MCX, Chevy block).  I think they list this as a reminder to replace the impeller annually, all water I think will be removed with the drains opened.  Anti-freeze is not required in the engine as it is protected by the anti-freeze already in the closed system. Ballast tanks as long as they are empty, even a little water will not hurt during a freeze, as there is plenty of room for it to expand.  Ballast bags might get brittle with freezing temps, good idea to remove those.  

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, tex599 said:

In my older boats I never removed the impeller, just pulled the J hose and made sure the water was drained (Mastercraft with MCX, Chevy block).  I think they list this as a reminder to replace the impeller annually, all water I think will be removed with the drains opened.  Anti-freeze is not required in the engine as it is protected by the anti-freeze already in the closed system. Ballast tanks as long as they are empty, even a little water will not hurt during a freeze, as there is plenty of room for it to expand.  Ballast bags might get brittle with freezing temps, good idea to remove those.  

I will def remove the pnp bags.

• 2 years later...

2020 Monsoon 410 in a VLX...  Pulled the (4) little blue plugs...

-  Trans plug

- Hose just next to trans plug on rh side (facing back of boat)

- pullled plug out out bottom of HX on back of motor

- pulled plug on metal elbow on back of motor....

- pulled strainer & cleaned.....

Can't find 5th plug (tray on top of motor has 4 spaces for blue wing nut plastic plugs....stickers say 1 of 5, 2 of 5 ect....  Can't find the sticker that says 3??

Appreciate any help

12 minutes ago, tco said:

The fifth plug on my wife’s boat with Raptor engine (m235) is on the bottom of a hard plastic hose that runs horizontally right below the impeller. 

I'll check there...THX

On 10/23/2020 at 6:18 PM, tower210 said:

2020 Monsoon 410 in a VLX...  Pulled the (4) little blue plugs...

-  Trans plug

- Hose just next to trans plug on rh side (facing back of boat)

- pullled plug out out bottom of HX on back of motor

- pulled plug on metal elbow on back of motor....

- pulled strainer & cleaned.....

Can't find 5th plug (tray on top of motor has 4 spaces for blue wing nut plastic plugs....stickers say 1 of 5, 2 of 5 ect....  Can't find the sticker that says 3??

Appreciate any help

If this is the Raptor 410 engine, there are only 4 blue drain plugs.  The 5th spot is removing the impeller cover.

Can someone tell me what “whips” are?  Is it something attached to the actual drain plugs to make it easier to get to them?  I wonder if anyone has drilled a small hole in the plug handle and put a zip tie through it - at least it would help to get it when I drop them, which I guarantee I will.

On 10/31/2020 at 7:41 PM, Leftlane said:

Can someone tell me what “whips” are?  Is it something attached to the actual drain plugs to make it easier to get to them?  I wonder if anyone has drilled a small hole in the plug handle and put a zip tie through it - at least it would help to get it when I drop them, which I guarantee I will.

Correct

Winterized this weekend - first time to do it myself.  Took me about 45 minutes, but 25 of that was trying to get to one of the plugs that I dropped when I was trying to reinstall it.  How much water in total should I expect to drain out of the 4 drain plugs (6.2 Raptor, no heater)?  I'm guessing I vacuumed up about a gallon or so, maybe a bit more.  I had the impeller changed out recently so I didn't pull it again.  Talked to the dealership ahead of time and they told me no need to fog it as it doesn't get that cold for very long here and it will only be in storage for a few months.  Overall pretty pleased with myself but also worried I didn't do something right.