Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wetsuit tops

pkenney

The 1.5mm O'Neill Hyperfreak is the best top I have used to date. It is super flexible and soft so you have not restricted at all. It also seals out water very well. For a ski set, I only get a little bit of water down my neck and around my wrists. Much of my body stays dry.

https://us.oneill.com/collections/neoprene-tops/products/hyperfreak-1-5mm-l-s-top

11 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

The 1.5mm O'Neill Hyperfreak is the best top I have used to date. It is super flexible and soft so you have not restricted at all. It also seals out water very well. For a ski set, I only get a little bit of water down my neck and around my wrists. Much of my body stays dry.

https://us.oneill.com/collections/neoprene-tops/products/hyperfreak-1-5mm-l-s-top

How long is it?  I find a lot of these tops are designed for shorter people.  

I went larger than I wanted on my zip-up top.  Was acceptable (not great) when I was at my very heaviest and now is a cold rush of water coming from under.  I need another as the water was not cold enough today to justify my full 4:3 wetsuit (which seems to be leaking a bit at the zipper - O'Neill suit that isn't that old and has only been worn a few times).

5 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

I am 5'-7" and my small Oneill stretches down over my hips, but I bunch it up above my shorts since it ends up there anyway after bending a few times.  My Ripcurl Flashbomb top fits about the same except not as tight around the neck.  I like them both but the Oneill is a little warmer since it is 1.5mm vs the Ripcurl being 1mm.

ahopkins22LSV
6 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

I went larger than I wanted on my zip-up top.  Was acceptable (not great) when I was at my very heaviest and now is a cold rush of water coming from under.  I need another as the water was not cold enough today to justify my full 4:3 wetsuit (which seems to be leaking a bit at the zipper - O'Neill suit that isn't that old and has only been worn a few times).

It’s quite long. It cover my waist and I’m 6’1”

I favor the jacket of a john/jacket combo that must be 3mm and rubber coated, circa 1998. It's the best jacket I've ever found. I have a newer oneill 2mm and it's the 2nd best.

Camaro Blactec Thermo Top, 1.5mm.  It is snug putting it on, but not restrictive at all. Mine stays so dry inside that I leave it on in between sets, whether I'm skiing or wake boarding/skating.   

Agreed on the Hyperfreak.  It's perfect for those "not quite wetsuit weather" days... or pretty much every morning in the northern climes.

Camaro is cool too but it's not as durable for everyday use IMO.  I have a full Camaro suit that's absolutely amazing in terms of keeping water out, but I wouldn't use it every day.

ahopkins22LSV
2 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Agreed on the Hyperfreak.  It's perfect for those "not quite wetsuit weather" days... or pretty much every morning in the northern climes.

Camaro is cool too but it's not as durable for everyday use IMO.  I have a full Camaro suit that's absolutely amazing in terms of keeping water out, but I wouldn't use it every day.

This is my experience with friends who have bought the camaro. It might be a bit better but I’ve had two hyperfreaks for 5 and 4 seasons now and they still look new. 

I'm down to an O'Neill farmer john & jacket..... easy in & out, several different ways to wear it depending on conditions. And the Wiley's StayDry suit. Over 19 yrs old now & still going strong. I'm almost ashamed to admit I've already had it out once this fall.

+10 for the StayDry - got mine for Christmas in 1994 and except for occasional seal changes it has been great, and gets a lot of use every year - 24 years and counting!

• 1 month later...