Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prices Paid for 2018 T22?

IndyFerg

Thanks formerathlete.

That website is showing the 2019 being $63,647, which based on my dealer quote, that would suggest that the model year for 2020 has increased by 6.8%. Now I know Axis for 2020 are now installing the Malibu engines which I think has increased the costs a bit.

Maybe 6.8%? Probably more like 5% is more realistic.

I would guess my Dealer is giving me a fairly close and honest MSRP.

Based on seedealercost.com, if the Dealer gets full MSRP they're making a 20% margin.

Are most people thinking a 15% margin is fair for the dealer?

Quote I'm getting on my 2020 Axis

Comes with the following

1. Gel accent (One color, hull is white)

2. Surf Pipe

3. Stereo Pack 2/Sub woofer

4. PNP

5. Surf Gate

6. Auto Wedge

7. Rear slide Sky Box

8. Soft grip flooring

9. Cover & bimini

There are a few other small extras such a docking lights/under water lights etc..

So including Dealer freight and set-up but NOT including taxes the boat is quoted at $75,429 USD.

What is everyone thoughts on this quote?

I'm thinking an additional 5% off final quote or I ask for some freebies thrown in?

My thoughts are lose the rear sky seat, sp2, and docking and underwater lights and get power wedge 3. Everything else can be added later. Even though pw3 can be added later also, you’re less likely to do it because of the expense. Just my two sense. 

It is still crazy to me how much prices have been increasing YoY. When i picked up my 17 A20 the MSRP was ~78,500.

I would agree on getting the PW3. I had the floating wedge on mine and it was just about useless. We gave it a few tries while surfing and it didnt seem to help. Lights and tower speakers can be added on later. You could probably pick up some new take off speakers for cheap.

In 2019, the PW3 came as a package with Surf Pipe. You couldn't separate those. I'd imagine it's the same in 2020. Seedealercost.com may not know that (I haven't looked in a quite a while). 

formreathlete - The PW3 does not come with surf pipe.

Surfpipe is it's own option.

Surf Gate w/ axis band is another option.

I've been reading a lot of forums, and many people are saying that the power wedge is not worth the money? They said the only added bonus is that you may be able to shape the wake a bit more with the power wedge.

I have also read may people surfing behind the boat don't even use the wedge?

Part of the appeal of the Axis boat is the price point. Adding the Power wedge not only costs a lot more, but it also increases the risk of problems in the future with actuators etc.. 

10 minutes ago, Fromwithin142 said:

I've been reading a lot of forums, and many people are saying that the power wedge is not worth the money? They said the only added bonus is that you may be able to shape the wake a bit more with the power wedge.

Part of the appeal of the Axis boat is the price point. Adding the Power wedge not only costs a lot more, but it also increases the risk of problems in the future with actuators etc.. 

I'd say its something you would definitely want to have for flexibility and changing the shape of your wave dramatically. Also it would be helpful for resell. Go test drive one to see the difference. Being able to increase and decrease wave height on the fly to suit you is really nice.

Also, when comparing prices, you can add $40k of options to a baseline 70-80 k boat and that gets you to Malibu BASE pricing, which can also increase by I am sure more than $40k. Just be careful you are comparing apples to apples. 

4 hours ago, Fromwithin142 said:

Surf Pipe is indeed listed as it's own option but in 2019, if you opted for PW3, you had to get surf pipe. You won't see any 2019's with PW3 and no Surf Pipe. I do stand corrected, though...I'm pretty sure you can get manual wedge with surf pipe. You just can't get PW3 without surf pipe. That was made very clear to me when I purchased my boat. Maybe different in 2020 but that's how it was explained to me for 2019.

Edited by formerathlete

Yes your right regarding the PW3 and surf pipe.

For all the lights, the quote is $635 

If I want PW3 the price is $2540, though auto set wedge is $1034, so essentially it would be around $1500 more for PW3. Everyone is thinking this is the way to go?

I'm still torn on this option, as I have heard others state it's not worth it. No one using this boat is a professional surfer or wake boarder, just some young kids and beginner adults

Edited by Fromwithin142
  • Like 2

For me, the PW3 is absolutely worth it but I have no experience without it. Lift Mode alone makes it worth it but it does so much more than just that, IMHO. It completes what Axis/Malibu is trying to provide for us wave and wake-wise. Without it, you aren't getting the complete experience as they are intending it to be.

Edited by formerathlete
36 minutes ago, Fromwithin142 said:

I'm still torn on this option, as I have heard others state it's not worth it. No one using this boat is a professional surfer or wake boarder, just some young kids and beginner adults

It's a differentiator on resale, and the price gap on the used market will easily be the difference between the two.  So when you go to sell it's going to be a "no cost" option.

I know for newbs, @Raimie has suggested she uses the PW in lift mode to make the wake SMALLER for kids.  That's something you cannot do with the floater (errr "autoset") wedge.

Nobody who buys these boats is a "pro".  Most semi-coordinated human adults, even those of questionable fitness, can progress wakesurfing.  Once they "know how to do it," I've never had anyone ask if the wave could be made smaller.  Bigger wave is more fun.  It's longer (or can be) and has more push, so there's more room for error.  

It's not an option I'm willing to trade my boat in over (have a 2016 with floating wedge) but it's an option I would've bought if available.

my boat has docking and UW lights.  In four seasons I've never used either.

when negotiating, make sure PNP bags are included and also wrangle for board racks. 

• Like 4

Ok good info.

Thanks everyone, I'll have to think about the PW3. 

I don't plan on selling the boat anytime soon. That's interesting about using the wedge to make the wake smaller. 

I do like the fact that the PW3 means I don't have to be reaching through the swim pad everytime I need to move the wedge up or down 

4 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

It's a differentiator on resale, and the price gap on the used market will easily be the difference between the two.  So when you go to sell it's going to be a "no cost" option.

I know for newbs, @Raimie has suggested she uses the PW in lift mode to make the wake SMALLER for kids.  That's something you cannot do with the floater (errr "autoset") wedge.

Nobody who buys these boats is a "pro".  Most semi-coordinated human adults, even those of questionable fitness, can progress wakesurfing.  Once they "know how to do it," I've never had anyone ask if the wave could be made smaller.  Bigger wave is more fun.  It's longer (or can be) and has more push, so there's more room for error.  

It's not an option I'm willing to trade my boat in over (have a 2016 with floating wedge) but it's an option I would've bought if available.

my boat has docking and UW lights.  In four seasons I've never used either.

when negotiating, make sure PNP bags are included and also wrangle for board racks. 

Used lift mode tonight pulling a beginner surfer. RPMs were about 300 less than when I surf with the wedge at 3 :whistle:

I ran it stowed with the newbie also, but the RPMs were less at lift mode. So, it can save you some gas money too!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Raimie said:

Used lift mode tonight pulling a beginner surfer. RPMs were about 300 less than when I surf with the wedge at 3 :whistle:

I ran it stowed with the newbie also, but the RPMs were less at lift mode. So, it can save you some gas money too!

And with wedge in Lift mode or set at '1' with full ballast, it helps reduce bow rise at surfing speed. 

Edited by formerathlete
On 9/18/2019 at 6:40 AM, Raimie said:

The lights aren't a small option. If you have them all selected I think its about 1k msrp.

Get PW.

+1 on PW

And at very least get the surf pipe.  I just surfed all week behind a 2017 MB B52 w/Raptor 450 and no surf pipe.  You can definitely smell the exhaust while surfing and even being in the back of the boat.  The surf pipe will eliminate all fume smells.  Surfpipe is a must have IMO.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Fman said:

+1 on PW

And at very least get the surf pipe.  I just surfed all week behind a 2017 MB B52 w/Raptor 450 and no surf pipe.  You can definitely smell the exhaust while surfing and even being in the back of the boat.  The surf pipe will eliminate all fume smells.  Surfpipe is a must have IMO.

I'm definitely getting the surf pipe, that was never a question in my mind. Thanks for the input though, it certainly help confirm my thoughts 

Logged in for the first time in awhile and was surprised to see my thread still going...awesome!

Some of my $0.02 on this topic since I have some of the options (or lack thereof) listed in the thread above...

Level-setting - we are typically out with family/friends several days per week and have two kids <10 yrs.  We spend a lot of time doing watersports but also hanging out and swimming.  I wakeboard and surf weekly behind my boat as well as other Malibus (22 VLX and a 23 LSV).  Just giving context around my following comments...I'm a recreational boater that spends a lot of family time in our boat, like what it sounds like you are @Fromwithin142.

Underwater lights - I like them, the kids love them when swimming at night, but we aren't out at night much to really use them.  I would do them over again.  There is a certain "that's really cool" factor to them...they are fun and boating is fun.

Docking lights - I'm only out after dark a couple times per summer and wish I had them then in those instances, but aren't critical.  Get a good flashlight.

Surf pipe - Love it.  Mainly love it for the lack of exhaust smell, but I feel like it's quieter as well.  

Power wedge - I don't have this on my boat, and not sure if I am missing anything or not.  The other Malibus I ride behind have it and I notice some shape differences in the wave wakeboarding, and notice the most benefit/difference in the surf wave.  I do use my floating wedge when wakeboarding and surfing and I can definitely tell a difference with/without in both situations.  I bought my boat as a floor model so adding it wasn't an option for me.  If I had the option when buying I would have included it for the adjustability of the wave and the ability for lift mode, but at the same time it's not such a drastic difference between my wave and my buddy's 22VLX that I come back to my boat and have a bad case of FOMO...the wave is different but not in a bad way (IMHO).

Heaters - You don't mention these, and I don't know where you live.  I live in Indiana and thought they were kind of a gimmick but they were already on the boat.  Man was I wrong.  This has been the most surprisingly used feature of the new boat honestly, we use them all the time.  Kids love them, wife loves them, hell I use them a bunch in the early morning sessions.  Pleasantly surprised and honestly can say I wouldn't do another boat without them.  If you live in southern climes, disregard.

Rear Skybox - I think we've used this when underway once or twice.  We actually use this the most when tied up hanging out in a cove and swimming.  The sun is hot and I want to be under the bimini, but the kids and friends on other boats are all towards the back.  It's been awesome to flip the seating to be rear-focused but still be able to be in the shade and have a backrest.  I'd do these again in a heartbeat purely for the different seating options it gives you when anchored up.  Bonus - makes a great table for the family when we are eating when you slide it out halfway.

SP2 - I am no audiophile, so I think they sound awesome.  They are loud, they have zone control and bluetooth, I'm happy.  I wouldn't want to omit these personally, but if you like the DIY or aftermarket stuff, then go for it.

Carpet - I got the cheap carpet my dealer just threw in for free (the floor was unfinished initially) and I was also pleasantly surprised by how good this has been, especially with kids.  I have friends with Deckadence and Gatorstep and both are awesome look and feel, but (again) IMHO I'd rather spend that money on PW3.  My kids are dirty little things and it's been super easy to pop the carpet out, shake it over the side and put it back in.  No vacuuming, no deep pile (Deckadence) to trap crud, and when they get older and less messy I can always put really nice flooring in.  It's harder to get food out of my swim platform matting (Gatorstep) than the carpet, so I'm thankful I don't have that all over the interior.  I'll probably get pushback for this one...and the Gatorstep looks much nicer, but for the phase of life I'm in currently the carpet is perfect and it was free.  You could probably swap this option on its own to pay for PW3 if you wanted.

This was really long, but I was in the somewhat same position as you last year around this time, so wanted to give my feedback one year, a full summer, and 75 engine hours later :) 

Edited by IndyFerg
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, IndyFerg said:

Logged in for the first time in awhile and was surprised to see my thread still going...awesome!

Some of my $0.02 on this topic since I have some of the options (or lack thereof) listed in the thread above...

Level-setting - we are typically out with family/friends several days per week and have two kids <10 yrs.  We spend a lot of time doing watersports but also hanging out and swimming.  I wakeboard and surf weekly behind my boat as well as other Malibus (22 VLX and a 23 LSV).  Just giving context around my following comments...I'm a recreational boater that spends a lot of family time in our boat, like what it sounds like you are @Fromwithin142.

Underwater lights - I like them, the kids love them when swimming at night, but we aren't out at night much to really use them.  I would do them over again.  There is a certain "that's really cool" factor to them...they are fun and boating is fun.

Docking lights - I'm only out after dark a couple times per summer and wish I had them then in those instances, but aren't critical.  Get a good flashlight.

Surf pipe - Love it.  Mainly love it for the lack of exhaust smell, but I feel like it's quieter as well.  

Power wedge - I don't have this on my boat, and not sure if I am missing anything or not.  The other Malibus I ride behind have it and I notice some shape differences in the wave wakeboarding, and notice the most benefit/difference in the surf wave.  I do use my floating wedge when wakeboarding and surfing and I can definitely tell a difference with/without in both situations.  I bought my boat as a floor model so adding it wasn't an option for me.  If I had the option when buying I would have included it for the adjustability of the wave and the ability for lift mode, but at the same time it's not such a drastic difference between my wave and my buddy's 22VLX that I come back to my boat and have a bad case of FOMO...the wave is different but not in a bad way (IMHO).

Heaters - You don't mention these, and I don't know where you live.  I live in Indiana and thought they were kind of a gimmick but they were already on the boat.  Man was I wrong.  This has been the most surprisingly used feature of the new boat honestly, we use them all the time.  Kids love them, wife loves them, hell I use them a bunch in the early morning sessions.  Pleasantly surprised and honestly can say I wouldn't do another boat without them.  If you live in southern climes, disregard.

Rear Skybox - I think we've used this when underway once or twice.  We actually use this the most when tied up hanging out in a cove and swimming.  The sun is hot and I want to be under the bimini, but the kids and friends on other boats are all towards the back.  It's been awesome to flip the seating to be rear-focused but still be able to be in the shade and have a backrest.  I'd do these again in a heartbeat purely for the different seating options it gives you when anchored up.  Bonus - makes a great table for the family when we are eating when you slide it out halfway.

SP2 - I am no audiophile, so I think they sound awesome.  They are loud, they have zone control and bluetooth, I'm happy.  I wouldn't want to omit these personally, but if you like the DIY or aftermarket stuff, then go for it.

Carpet - I got the cheap carpet my dealer just threw in for free (the floor was unfinished initially) and I was also pleasantly surprised by how good this has been, especially with kids.  I have friends with Deckadence and Gatorstep and both are awesome look and feel, but (again) IMHO I'd rather spend that money on PW3.  My kids are dirty little things and it's been super easy to pop the carpet out, shake it over the side and put it back in.  No vacuuming, no deep pile (Deckadence) to trap crud, and when they get older and less messy I can always put really nice flooring in.  It's harder to get food out of my swim platform matting (Gatorstep) than the carpet, so I'm thankful I don't have that all over the interior.  I'll probably get pushback for this one...and the Gatorstep looks much nicer, but for the phase of life I'm in currently the carpet is perfect and it was free.  You could probably swap this option on its own to pay for PW3 if you wanted.

This was really long, but I was in the somewhat same position as you last year around this time, so wanted to give my feedback one year, a full summer, and 75 engine hours later :) 

“My kids are dirty little things”:rofl:

I hear ya! Good comments. I was wondering about cleaning that gatorstep 

On 9/20/2019 at 4:22 PM, IndyFerg said:

Thanks for the reply IndyFerg!

I may have hijacked your thread :)

I was thinking about the heaters, but I'm still on the fence, as there is added work for winterizing if you choose to add this as an option. Here in Canada we do get cool mornings, especially late summer.

How quickly does the boat warm up for those heaters to begin working?

On 9/19/2019 at 9:01 AM, Fromwithin142 said:

I am one who rarely uses the powee wedge for surfing but I would never order a boat without it.  That would kill resale. 

15 hours ago, Fromwithin142 said:

Thanks for the reply IndyFerg!

I may have hijacked your thread :)

I was thinking about the heaters, but I'm still on the fence, as there is added work for winterizing if you choose to add this as an option. Here in Canada we do get cool mornings, especially late summer.

How quickly does the boat warm up for those heaters to begin working?

Hijacking is encouraged if it helps you get what you need!

The boat gets warm pretty quickly and the heaters right along with it...maybe 5 minutes tops?

I'll be winterizing mine this week/weekend, so I'll let you know how hard the heaters are (my first time for me to do those too).  I've heard it's as simple as finding the hoses to/from the engine block, unhooking them and blowing the water out, pouring in some antifreeze, then blowing that out as well.  Sounds simple enough, although I guess I won't truly know until next spring.

Of all the options that were already included on the boat, the heaters were by far the most used, especially the port right by the drivers feet.  They are awesome.

@IndyFerg How do those heaters work exactly? You mention the vents are by your feet.

Is this the location they put the vents? And is it on both driver and passenger side?

Wouldn't the wind just blow the hot air away once you pick up some speed?

1 hour ago, Fromwithin142 said:

@IndyFerg How do those heaters work exactly? You mention the vents are by your feet.

Is this the location they put the vents? And is it on both driver and passenger side?

Wouldn't the wind just blow the hot air away once you pick up some speed?

If you order the 3-outlet heater, there are two vents/outlets below the drivers seat in the cabin with hoses that can be pulled out and extended into the cabin to most seats (you can see their location in certain photos of interiors). Additionally, there is an outlet at the drivers feet that doesn't have a hose, it just opens and closes. Obviously, the hot air will escape when underway so you have to find a way to trap it somehow. So, pull the hose or hoses out, wrap a towel or blanket around your legs in a seat in the cabin that the hose reaches, and put the hose under the towel. Warms you right up. Drivers seat outlet blows on your feet/legs and does a fair job of warming.

Our heater is used regularly, even in summer.

Edited by formerathlete
On 9/23/2019 at 9:32 PM, formerathlete said:

If you order the 3-outlet heater, there are two vents/outlets below the drivers seat in the cabin with hoses that can be pulled out and extended into the cabin to most seats (you can see their location in certain photos of interiors). Additionally, there is an outlet at the drivers feet that doesn't have a hose, it just opens and closes. Obviously, the hot air will escape when underway so you have to find a way to trap it somehow. So, pull the hose or hoses out, wrap a towel or blanket around your legs in a seat in the cabin that the hose reaches, and put the hose under the towel. Warms you right up. Drivers seat outlet blows on your feet/legs and does a fair job of warming.

Our heater is used regularly, even in summer.

This ^^

The driver's one does really well.  When it's cold enough to need it, closing the windshield and using the air dam in the walkway keeps the driver's area surprisingly calm and out of the wind, so the heater works really well.  Works great on cold feet.  Does it heat the space up like a car?  Of course not, but when it's blowing directly on you it makes a big difference.

Passengers pull the heater tubes out and puts them under a towel or blanket like @formerathlete said.  Wifey and kiddos love this.

I thought the same as you initially - a heater in an open-air cockpit?  Must be a gimmick.  Not so...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1