Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is the Wakesetter LSV a good boat for me?

Fish209

Thanks guys!!!

The idea is to work the installation of GSA into the purchase of the boat. Hopefully I can work something out to get that installation discounted.

Regarding the ballast, I would definitely like to avoid 15 minutes to fill and 15 minutes to drain if possible. For the quickest fill and drain times, would you guys agree that I would need reversibles for the extra bags with separate switches on the dash?? How much would this speed up fill and drain times?

8 hours ago, Fish209 said:

Regarding the ballast, I would definitely like to avoid 15 minutes to fill and 15 minutes to drain if possible. For the quickest fill and drain times, would you guys agree that I would need reversibles for the extra bags with separate switches on the dash?? How much would this speed up fill and drain times?

Reversible pumps will fill the bags in 6-8 minutes for your 650+ bags.

On 10/27/2018 at 10:58 AM, Fish209 said:

Not the quickest, but its the easiest and most streamlined.  

Im curious what youre going to spend on this boat?  All said and done it may be cheaper for you to get into an axis with surfgate.

• Like 2
On 10/26/2018 at 9:03 AM, 05hammerhead said:

GSA is $4,000, Im guessing install will be $1,000 - $1,500?

That all depends... I have not talked to Ryan lately, but if they are GSA dealer, then it should be 4000 installed... Or at least from my understanding, if bought from retailer it is installed.. that was my case..( I bought directly from GSA in Wichita Falls

On 10/26/2018 at 10:17 AM, 05hammerhead said:

Very true, but if hes looking for someone else to do it for him, Im not sure that the DIYness of martin archers system is right for him.  It is a much better system though. 

GSA has kept me from buying a new boat for 2 years now... I throw a better wave (length/push/lip) than the new boats... I have not ridden other GSA equipped boats, but have ridden other surf systems, you can't go wrong with GSA, I believe it is the best surf system you can get. 

On 10/26/2018 at 9:11 AM, 05hammerhead said:

Piggyback fill time on a 750 is probably in the 15 min range, probably more for drain.  Most of us who have these boats will tell you to get reversibles for the extra bags and get separate switches on the dash.  These can be added later if you decide you dont want to spend 30 mins each set filling and draining.

The pirhana pumps or 800 gph in these boats... you can upgrade to 1100 without drilling new holes as the intake side is .75 for both. You will need to upgrade the fill lines and get an adapter from the hardware store to increase to 1 1/8 lines. if you add the 1100 for you fills and piggy back it correctly your fill times will not be 15 minutes.. I have 1100s piggy backed to my rear, I can never state the actual fill time as I start filling while I am driving to my location.. I don't fill full for wakeboarding, and so they are already over half way full when I start to surf... by time I get to the surf location and have boat set up for surf, the bags are already full... For drain, I have a pump on the bag and tank, and bag drains to tank.. so drain is 2 pumps at 800 gph = 1600 gph all on factory switch.. I have reverisible on my front bag.. it fills and drains at 700 gph... Everybody has their opinion on the different style pumps.. I prefer the areators for their speed/cost/realibility (no impellers to change out and when a pump goes bad, simply change the cartridge for the same price as the impeller. I have over 1000 hours on my boat and have replaced only 2 cartridges thus far... reversilble was added this year so I don't know how often I will have to change the impeller... Run an areator pump dry.. no problem.. Run a reversible dry... wears out the impeller)

On 10/25/2018 at 11:47 PM, Fish209 said:

How much do you guys think it should be to have Go Surf Assist installed? I'd like to be able to tell if/how much of a discount I'm getting when they price the boat with GSA installed.

Thanks.

If you are on a budget, do you need an automated system? Do you have a mixture of goofy and regular riders? Planning on Transfers.. As I stated GSA is great, but there are "suck gates" that will create a great wave as well for way less money...

The power wedge is not required to make the wave, some prefer it, some don't.. I am mixed on it.. I like it for the capability of changing wave shape to adjust for crew sizes.. If I have a small crew I use wedge and the smaller the crew the more ramp I use.. When I have big crews I don't use it.. I have had a boat with fix wedge and power wedge, never had the floating wedge. Both boats surfed without the wedge..

Also, the diamond hull and the wake hull will produce the same surf wave and wake board wake.. So don't worry if the badging states wakesetter or sunscape.

Edited by kerpluxal
  • Like 3

Wow...thanks for the great information everyone. Thank you for the very detailed post Kerpluxal! So much to think about!

I spoke with Ryan at Go Surf Assist today...great guy! I found out installation is not included. That is an extra charge. From what everyone says, GSA sounds amazing, but I'm wondering how much better is it than something like a Mission Delta. How much better is the wave using GSA vs something like a Mission Delta?

It's clear I'll need some extra ballast whether I go with GSA or not if I want a good surf wake in this boat. I definitely want an automatic ballast system controlled by switches on the dash. I just have to decide which system based on price. WakeMakers's Piggyback Rear Factory Ballast Upgrade' sells for $649 that includes two 910lb bags in the rear starboard and port side. Would that piggyback system be all I need, or would I also need ballast for the center and bow?

11 hours ago, Fish209 said:

Wow...thanks for the great information everyone. Thank you for the very detailed post Kerpluxal! So much to think about!

I spoke with Ryan at Go Surf Assist today...great guy! I found out installation is not included. That is an extra charge. From what everyone says, GSA sounds amazing, but I'm wondering how much better is it than something like a Mission Delta. How much better is the wave using GSA vs something like a Mission Delta?

It's clear I'll need some extra ballast whether I go with GSA or not if I want a good surf wake in this boat. I definitely want an automatic ballast system controlled by switches on the dash. I just have to decide which system based on price. WakeMakers's Piggyback Rear Factory Ballast Upgrade' sells for $649 that includes two 910lb bags in the rear starboard and port side. Would that piggyback system be all I need, or would I also need ballast for the center and bow?

The waves will be very similar, just way easier with GSA.  If I was on a budget GSA would be out of the cards. 

Yup, thats it, but again it will take 15 mins to fill and 15 to empty.  

Sidenote - Be very careful on here.  We can spend your money with the best of them.  The idea of NEED is super relative here, but you dont NEED a boat.  If youve never had a boat before, buy something for $20k, use throw over pumps or piggyback systems and suck it up that it takes a lot of time.  Then when you go more, add more.  Upgrade the ballast, add GSA, or buy a boat with a bigger motor, surfgate and power wedge knowing you appreciate the upgrade.  While your slow ballast is filling you can strap the delta on the side of the boat and drop the manual wedge down.  I would never compromise and not get a speed control, but the rest of these things are just nice to haves. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, 05hammerhead said:

Sidenote - Be very careful on here.  We can spend your money with the best of them.  The idea of NEED is super relative here, but you dont NEED a boat.  If youve never had a boat before, buy something for $20k, use throw over pumps or piggyback systems and suck it up that it takes a lot of time.  Then when you go more, add more.  Upgrade the ballast, add GSA, or buy a boat with a bigger motor, surfgate and power wedge knowing you appreciate the upgrade.  While your slow ballast is filling you can strap the delta on the side of the boat and drop the manual wedge down.  I would never compromise and not get a speed control, but the rest of these things are just nice to haves. 

Or drink a beer ;) 

• Like 2

I'm using stock 2004 pumps and 900 lb bags. By the time we are to the riding spot and you get the board out of the rack and hook up the surf rope and find a vest and turn on the tunes the ballast is full or close. You can take off with 80% full and the wave will improve as you ride.  

I want to upgrade several things on my boat but ballast fill times are way far down on the list. Switching the mission delta from right to left takes 30 seconds and I have to get my hands wet but so far I haven't decided that's worth $4000 for GSA.

Speed control is worth the money as is lead wake and big fat sacs. So is a good stereo and prop.  Now I may eventually spring for GSA but we're currently having plenty of fun without it. 

Don't forget you can cruise while you fill or drain. 

Edited by Gavin17