Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is the Wakesetter LSV a good boat for me?

Fish209

2 hours ago, achimbos said:

I'm located in Montana and the Malibu dealer is 190 miles from me. My '06 only has a manual wedge, so that might be a deal breaker for you. My local mechanic actual worked at the Great Falls dealer prior to moving to Bozeman and I'm sure I can coordinate something with him once the winterizing rush settles down.

Oh' some 06+ models have the power wedge and some have a manual wedge??? I was under the assumption from what I was hearing that the power wedge was standard on 06+ models.

4 hours ago, Fish209 said:

Northern California.

07 21 LSV. Sunscape. Power wedge Fully ballasted with reversible pumps and valves. Wake Logic Controller available. Not yet installed. Nice stereo. Coming soon in the Valley. Right in your budget. Are you in disco?  I will be on the delta this weekend. This is a screen shot from a video with ghetto gates😎

E36BA739-6F66-47BB-9342-C43A1F9F9D23.jpeg

9D818CF8-3CE0-4F1B-BD23-9C2E27DEBBFB.png

Edited by Sparky450

Correct me if I'm way off, but if my priorities are surfing and wakeboarding, wouldn't a wakesetter be a better option for what we'll be using it for?

5 hours ago, Fish209 said:

Correct me if I'm way off, but if my priorities are surfing and wakeboarding, wouldn't a wakesetter be a better option for what we'll be using it for?

They're the same hull. It sounds like he has added all the accessories that make it a wakesetter so you should be good.  Also the power wedge is nice but of you're on a budget I wouldn't count out an 04 or 05 23lsv.  I'd rather have a clean 04 (which I do) than a rougher condition 06 just to stay in budget.  No matter what year you get you'll want to save money for upgrades. Ballast, suck gate boards etc. I also upgraded my paddle wheel pp to GPS. The paddle wheel worked fine for wakeboard speeds but not very well for surfing.  Others here didnt have that problem and are still using paddle wheel.

• Like 2

Thanks guys. My head is starting to hurt :)

This raises a few questions:

1.) Does the power wedge that comes as an option for the 06+ models really make that much of a difference for surfing?

- Would an aftermarket system be as effective? What type of aftermarket solution would you suggest? How expensive are they?

2.) Does the perfect pass that comes with the 06+ models not use GPS?

- How much better is the GPS perfect pass vs the paddle wheel for surfing and wake boarding? Is it worth the upgrade?

3.) What order would you considered the following models in terms of best choices for 40% surfing, 30% wake boarding and 30% just cruising the river (assuming similar year and condition)? Sunsetter LSV (21 feet), Wakesetter VLX (21 feet), Wakesetter 23 LSV, Mastercraft X30, Mastercraft X2, Mastercraft X15? Any other models to add to the mix?

- Considering a +/- 35K budget, the fact I'm new to boating and somewhat mechanically challenged, and might require some budget for any needed fixes/upgrades

Thanks so much for all the valuable help!!!!

44 minutes ago, Fish209 said:

1.) Does the power wedge that comes as an option for the 06+ models really make that much of a difference for surfing?  No but it is convenient.

- Would an aftermarket system be as effective? What type of aftermarket solution would you suggest? How expensive are they? Not available.

- How much better is the GPS perfect pass vs the paddle wheel for surfing and wake boarding? Is it worth the upgrade?  Depends on "worth" but it holds low speeds (surfing) much better.

3.) What order would you considered the following models in terms of best choices for 40% surfing, 30% wake boarding and 30% just cruising the river (assuming similar year and condition)? Sunsetter LSV (21 feet), Wakesetter VLX (21 feet), Wakesetter 23 LSV, Mastercraft X30, Mastercraft X2, Mastercraft X15? Any other models to add to the mix?  Pretty much in the order you listed them.

- Considering a +/- 35K budget, the fact I'm new to boating and somewhat mechanically challenged, and might require some budget for any needed fixes/upgrades

Buy the boat @Sparky450 shows above - after he installs the Wake Logic.

@Sparky450

• Like 2

In my mind, completely non mechanical people dont have much business boating. I'm not saying you have to be a pro mechanic or engineer to buy a boat, just be willing to learn the basics. 

If I had to take my boat to the shop every time I had some simple issue our summers would be alot less fun.  Generally knowing your way around the boat will make everything easier for you and your family. Tons of good info on this site.  You can learn as you go.

Some basic mechanical knowledge is also a safety measure. Sometimes issues arise on the water and that's probabaly not the best time to take your first peek in the engine compartment.

Making friends w some experienced boaters in your area will help tremendously.  Also buy the boat above if it checks out.  Search this site for "used boat buyers guide"

2 hours ago, Fish209 said:

1.) Does the power wedge that comes as an option for the 06+ models really make that much of a difference for surfing?

- Would an aftermarket system be as effective? What type of aftermarket solution would you suggest? How expensive are they?

- How much better is the GPS perfect pass vs the paddle wheel for surfing and wake boarding? Is it worth the upgrade?

3.) What order would you considered the following models in terms of best choices for 40% surfing, 30% wake boarding and 30% just cruising the river (assuming similar year and condition)? Sunsetter LSV (21 feet), Wakesetter VLX (21 feet), Wakesetter 23 LSV, Mastercraft X30, Mastercraft X2, Mastercraft X15? Any other models to add to the mix?

Power wedge and "aftermarket system" aren't the same thing. What your really comparing is manual wedge v. power wedge, and the power wedge was available back to 04, so I still would recommend adding the 04-05 models to your list. The wedge (power or manual) just adds down force to the rear end equivalent to an additional ~1,000# of ballast. An "aftermarket system" adds delayed convergence to your wave to allow surfing. In this case, you have factory powered systems like Surf Gate (which you won't find on a boat in your price range), aftermarket powered systems like Sparky450's WakeLogic controller, and aftermarket manual systems like Suckgate (Mission Delta, Nauticurl, etc.). Some people like wedge to surf, some don't so I wouldn't make power wedge the make or break item but rather focus on hours, condition, and required upgrades $$.

GPS vs. Paddle wheel is as much about opinion and "personal performance" as it is water type. If your main spot is on a river, paddle wheel is desirable because it accounts for current. Personally, I still use a paddle wheel PP calibrated to my phones GPS speed. Is isn't 100% accurate all the time, but for a 40% surf boat with a fixed budget it gets by just fine. Again, not a priority against your budget, but maybe something to consider if you find 2 boats within a <$1,000 or <100 hours of each other.

The Sunsetter LSV as an option isn't really a comparison unless its been modified like Sparky450's. Your average out-of-the-box Sunsetter is not going to have plumbed reversible ballasts and Wake Logic installed. I don't have experience with the Mastercraft models you listed, but I'd rank the Malibu's 1) 23 LSV, 2) 21 LSV, 3) 21 VLX.

To echo Gavin17 and minnmarker, if Sparky450's boat is reasonably priced, sounds like it would be a great boat for what your wanting.

Edited by cWonka

My $0.02:

1) The previous responses seem to be different than mine, but I think the power wedge is a go- no go for surfing (personally, IMHO, etc.).  It makes a huge difference in the wave through it's range of motion.  The floating wedge always seems to find a good spot, but you can't force it up for a larger wave or down for kids/learner's.  You'll obviously survive without it, and overall condition is most important, but I would try hard to get it!

The aftermarket devices we are talking about simulate surf gate.  Here is an example: https://www.wakemakers.com/mission-delta-wakesurf-device.html.  There are a ton of options to research to pick the right one for you.

Such great and helpful information guys! Thank you!!!

I PM'ed Sparky to find out more info on his 07 Sunscape.

I was also looking an 07 VLX Wakesetters:

https://www.onlyinboards.com/Malibu-VLX2006-GREAT-CONDITION-WITH-TONS-OF-EXTRAS-for-sale-auburn-Washington-86184.aspx

I'm in no rush, so I can be patient for the right boat to come along at the right price. That's why I appreciate all the information you all are providing that is helping me determine the right boat for me and the way we intend to use it.

Thanks all!!!

Edited by Fish209
  • 3 weeks later...

How much would a 2007 Wakesetter 21 foot VLX in really clean condition be with about 350 hours? I'm looking at one with the following features:

Ballast- 1000lbs Hard tank

Center 500

Left rear locker 250

Right rear locker 250

Bimini Top

Power wedge 

Perfect pass 

Prop is a 537

Monsoon 340 (GM Motor)

Am/fm CD player with Aux jack

4 cabin speaker 2 tower 

Cooler under the seat behind captain chair.

It also has a nice trailer in good condition (just had work performed at the dealership to get everything working just right).

2 Questions:

1.) How much would a boat like this be worth? Not a lot of upgrades, but it is in clean condition (see pics below)?

Exterior Pic(port side)

Exterior Pic(starboard side)

Capt. Chair Pic

Interior Pic1

Interior Pic2

Interior Pic3

Engine Pic

2.) If surfing is my priority (50% Surfing, 35% just cruising the river enjoying the water, 15% wakeboarding/pulling tubes), what would I need for a good surf wave that this boat does not have? What would you suggest I add on after the boat purchase to make sure I have a great surf wave (and an idea of cost for these add-ons)?

Thank you!!!

Edited by Fish209

A suckgate, big in locker sacs if possible on plug and play piggy backed  to hard tanks or with separate dedicated reversible pumps installed with newly drilled through hull openings and dash switches to spare accessory switch if available ( best option and faster snd better draining ability  ),  5-700 lbs of lead , possible triangle  bow sac, minimum 1235 prop or more aggressive depending on load of people, ballast, and lead and elevation(2313,2315,2419), 

dealer installed all above plus lead and gate on you  $27-3000

you all of above, $2800 or less with good deals on lead snd prop

the 1235 would probably be a better combo surf/cruise/wake in that order cause your probably light when wakeboarding , if very heavy wakeboarding and surfing with crowd sacrifice the better cruising and go with a more aggressive prop than 1235

dont get the 1235 if your going to go bigger and bigger with people and ballast snd wedge

if your not going to cruise fast or far, probably go with a true torque prop,

my heavier wakeboard runs with the inefficient and long plane out  of boat is burning too much fuel and I need to upgrade , if I had a crowd with my ballast , lead, and wedge even my surfing woujd require more prop to even get to surf speed , though I’ll lose my 40mph at 4700 rpm ability  

Edited by granddaddy55

You will definitely need extra sacs and a Nauticurl or Swell gate to put on the side of the boat.

After this Friday, I may be getting rid of a lot of ballast bags, a tsunami pump, and a Nauticurl gate when I upgrade to a 2018 LSV if I do not feel like I will need the additional bags.  I think I even have an Acme 1939 like new that would make a great spare prop (you will want more aggressive for your primary prop to surf).

I have (2) Fly High 750's, (2) Fly High 400's, (1) Sumo 650, (2) Wakemakers universal 910 rear locker bags and probably a few more.

• Like 2

There might also be a possibility the dealer would work the installation of Go Surf Assist into the deal for this 2007 Wakesetter VLX. It would obviously increase the price, but hopefully it would increase the total price less than a normal GSA installation. This leads me to a couple questions:

1.) How much is a typical Go Surf Assist installation (on a 2007 Malibu Wakesetter VLX)?

2.) If I purchased the boat with GSA, would I still need additional things after the purchase for a great surf wave? More ballasts, better prop, Etc... Or would GSA take care of just about all I'd need?

Thanks again guys!!

The GSA will help shape the wave (same as a suction cup gate-Swell or Nauticurl) and will be automated which is nice. 

You will still need ballast, GSA or a gate will not do it with just itself.

Running these gates, you tend to weight the boat down with more ballast so a better prop will probably be needed too. I bet the dealer would probably swap that out to whatever you want in with the sale.

Thanks jwl019! What prop would you suggest I ask them about? Right now, the prop in it is a 537.

When Asking about more ballast, what should I make sure it has so it is automated with controls at the dash and fills/empties as quickly as possible.

Thanks!!!

17 minutes ago, Fish209 said:

Thanks jwl019! What prop would you suggest I ask them about? Right now, the prop in it is a 537.

When Asking about more ballast, what should I make sure it has so it is automated with controls at the dash and fills/empties as quickly as possible.

Thanks!!!

You are going to want a Acme 1235 at least, it worked great on my 2010 VLX. Some may recommend a 2313 or 2315.

For ballast, it should have hard tanks under the floor already, but you will want to add more either by a piggyback system off your stock ballast (takes a while to fill and drain) or dedicated reversible pumps installed to fill the extra sacs.  I installed 3 (one for each rear locker and one in the bow).

For the extra sacs, you want at least 750 on each side in the rear lockers (Wakemakers semi custom bags can get up to 910 lbs) and a 650 triangle bow sac or a regular 550-650 lb. sac will work too.

How much do you guys think it should be to have Go Surf Assist installed? I'd like to be able to tell if/how much of a discount I'm getting when they price the boat with GSA installed.

Thanks.

10 hours ago, jwl019 said:

For ballast, it should have hard tanks under the floor already, but you will want to add more either by a piggyback system off your stock ballast (takes a while to fill and drain) or dedicated reversible pumps installed to fill the extra sacs.  I installed 3 (one for each rear locker and one in the bow).

For the extra sacs, you want at least 750 on each side in the rear lockers (Wakemakers semi custom bags can get up to 910 lbs) and a 650 triangle bow sac or a regular 550-650 lb. sac will work too.

Piggyback fill time on a 750 is probably in the 15 min range, probably more for drain.  Most of us who have these boats will tell you to get reversibles for the extra bags and get separate switches on the dash.  These can be added later if you decide you dont want to spend 30 mins each set filling and draining.

47 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Or you can contact @martinarcher

Very true, but if hes looking for someone else to do it for him, Im not sure that the DIYness of martin archers system is right for him.  It is a much better system though. 

• Like 3