Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is the Wakesetter LSV a good boat for me?

Fish209

Let me start by saying I know very little at this point and this will be my first boat. I have a budget of 35K that I'd like to stay within.

I live on the water and will be storing this boat on a Hydro Hoist (boat lift). The lift can lift up to 4,500 pounds. We'll be using the boat mostly for wake boarding and surfing. And of course, just cruising on the water so I'd like a little space for 6-8 adults to be comfortable. I've been hearing the Wakesetter LSV 23 would be a good compromise between comfort and water sport performance. So that is what I'm currently leaning towards. I have heard Malibu made some nice changes in the hull and some features in 2006 with the electric wedge so I'd like to get a 2006-2008 if I can find a good one within my budget.

You could also say I'm mechanically challenged so reliability is also a big concern of mine. Are these Wakesetters any more or less reliable than other boats good for water sports, comfort, and within my budget?

Do you guys feel a Malibu 23 LSV Wakesetter would be a good boat for my budget and how we'll be looking to use it?

Anything I need to keep in mind while looking for one? Are there are any options/features I should make sure the one I get has that aren't necessarily standard?

Thank you all in advance for any help or suggestions!

Yeah, at 35k a 23 with power wedge will be a stretch.  Depending on location of course, 40k would even be a good deal on a clean, lower hour 23.  A 21 footer is no slouch.

• Like 2

Thanks! I was hoping if I am patient enough, I might be able to find an 06' 23 LSV in my price range, but maybe not. I was thinking as winter hits, prices might come down a bit. Right now, it seems like 07's and 08's are in the 35-40K range. Would it be likely that an 06' might be closer to 35K during the winter time?

Here's some listed now:

07' for $39,200

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2007-malibu-wakesetter-23-lsv-103285573/

08' for $40,995

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2008-malibu-wakesetter-lsv-23-103374837/

08' for $41,000

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2008-malibu-wakesetter-23-lsv-103420384/

07 for $38,900

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2007-Malibu-Wakesetter-23LSV-for-sale-Chapin-South-Carolina-86892.aspx

08' for $35,000 (high hours, but new engine)

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2008-Malibu-Wakesetter-23-LSV-for-sale-Mt.-Zion-Illinois-85524.aspx

As mentioned, I was thinking if I wait until winter, I might be able to find a 06' for close to 35K. You guys obviously know much more than I would so if that is not likely, I'll need to figure something else out and either try to raise my budget a tiny bit (although I don't really want to go too far above that 35K if possible to get what a boat that fits what we want), or open my search to other less expensive models (or previous year 23 LSV's).

Is 35K really too low for a decent 2006+ 23 LSV?

Thanks all!!!

I think 35k will be tough at least where I’m at (Ohio).  You can probably find one in so so shape (faded gel, rough interior, beat up trailer, bad cover etc...) but all that will add up quick.  That could also be a indication it wasn’t Maintained properly which COULD cause problems later.  The problem is if you buy in the middle of winter the boat will likely be winterized and you won’t be able to fully test/inspection (depending on your location.)

A 21VLX in that era will would more towards your budget.  

• Like 2

If you can find one that comes in at your budget in decent shape, it would be a great boat for you and how you want to use it.  During winter you probably can find a '06 to fall in your range if you are patient,  water test might be difficult depending on where it is located. 

Your range is a tough one and budget creep usually sets in!  You start seeing that if you add $5-7k, you will get to the '07-08's, then if you add another $5-7k you will start getting closer to the '10's with the better G3 towers, then you add some more and your up in the surfgate models lol!

• Like 3

"Budget Creep"...perfect. I haven't heard that term, but it is all to real. I find I'm a victim of that in many things I look to buy. That's one of the reasons I "tried" to set a hard budget of 35K. But I also do want to get at least an 06' from what people have been saying.

The other issue Jrvs23 brought up is a concern I hadn't thought of. Would the 23 LSV be too much for the 4,500 pound Hydro Hoist I have? If that's the case, I might have to look at a different/lighter model.

Just be patient now until the end of October is a good time to look before people have to pay for winter storage.  I bought my 07 23 LSV W/ 250HRS for $29K USD (37K CAD). The boat was in excellent shape but it needed a stereo upgrade (2K), bimini (1K), prop and ballast (1.5K) new trailer tires and packed bearings (1K), tune up with wires, plugs, dist, rotar, impeller and new fluids (1K).  So if you can find one that has most of that stuff done make sure to factor that into your price.  Also be sure to constantly look.  I bought mine 2hrs after the add was posted and the guy told me he had a bunch of people who would take it if I didn't.

Edited by riot138

Here's a few things I'm looking for:

1.) Good for surfing

2.) Good for wake boarding

3.) Comfortable for 6-8 adults to cruise the water comfortably.

4.) Target budget is 35K (maybe a couple K to work with, but no more than 40K MAX!!!)

5.) My Hydro Hoist (boat lift) has a max capacity of 4,500 pounds

Out of these models, which would you say would be a good options for someone new to boating and looking for the above:

* 2006+ Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV (23 feet, 3900 pounds)

* 2006+ Malibu Wakesetter VLX (21 feet, 3600 pounds)

* 2006+ Mastercraft X30 (23 feet, 3900 pounds)

* 2006+ Mastercraft X15 (22 feet, 3400-3600 pounds depending on year)

Which models would you suggest I keep an eye out for? Are there any not listed here that I should consider?

Thanks again for all the help!!!

Edited by Fish209

I don't think that 3900 even includes the tower.  You have around 400 lbs of fuel capacity, add the tower and you have already exceeded 4500 lbs.  I have never been around lifts so I don't know how exact their specs are but you would definitely be overweight. 

2 hours ago, Fish209 said:

Which models would you suggest I keep an eye out for? Are there any not listed here that I should consider?

Might want to add 21LSV to your list.  Basically a VLX with more room to add ballast bags.  Probably a bit cheaper too.

• Like 2

I'd eliminate then 3900lb'ers off the hop.  Why go over capacity on your lift?  You could end up way over budget having to fix or replace it.  I've read alot on here about not going over weight on the lift and have been convinced that you either build the cost of a new lift into your budget or you stay within the limit. 

On a Malibu forum I'd expect most would go VLX over X15.  Best to demo both if at all possible (I know it's difficult to find 10 plus year old boats to demo). 

11 hours ago, Fish209 said:

Here's a few things I'm looking for:

1.) Good for surfing

2.) Good for wake boarding

3.) Comfortable for 6-8 adults to cruise the water comfortably.

4.) Target budget is 35K (maybe a couple K to work with, but no more than 40K MAX!!!)

5.) My Hydro Hoist (boat lift) has a max capacity of 4,500 pounds

Out of these models, which would you say would be a good options for someone new to boating and looking for the above:

* 2006+ Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV (23 feet, 3900 pounds)

* 2006+ Malibu Wakesetter VLX (21 feet, 3600 pounds)

* 2006+ Mastercraft X30 (23 feet, 3900 pounds)

* 2006+ Mastercraft X15 (22 feet, 3400-3600 pounds depending on year)

Thanks again for all the help!!!

I think the VLX is the way to go. I believe 2005+ for the VLX is the redesigned model.  Another option is the Super Air 210 by Nautique.  It's going to be a little tighter fit for 8 people and the surf wave will not be as good but the wake board wake is unreal and you can stay within your budget on an older model. For the Super Airs prop rotation comes into play for surfing so if you are regular look for a 2006 or goofy 2005 lower.

20 hours ago, Fish209 said:

"Budget Creep"...perfect. I haven't heard that term, but it is all to real. I find I'm a victim of that in many things I look to buy. That's one of the reasons I "tried" to set a hard budget of 35K. But I also do want to get at least an 06' from what people have been saying.

The other issue Jrvs23 brought up is a concern I hadn't thought of. Would the 23 LSV be too much for the 4,500 pound Hydro Hoist I have? If that's the case, I might have to look at a different/lighter model.

Why have you eliminated the 04-05 LSVs? They are the same hull as the 06-09 LSV and the 05+ VLX (V25), they're 300# lighter dry weight which could help you stay under your lift limit, and your more likely to find a reasonable to low hour boat in your price range than a high hour 07-08? For your list of wants, the 04-05 with a ballast upgrade is a GREAT target boat!!

• Like 2

+1 for the VLX.  It will be perfect for 8 people (LSV is better, but since you live on the lake it's not like you will be clocking  tons of floating time unless you want it) and it will help you stretch you dollar a bit further.  

I can't speak much to pre surf gate era boats, but I do believe you will need to work to get the right wave.  You will need to list it or get an aftermarket wave device... Which is fine since they are coming down in price and seem to be pretty effective.

Good luck on the hunt!

Currently have an '06 VLX and we get a surfable wave using the stock tanks and a 750 on the floor. We also have a Nauticurl that works wonders. Surfing ropeless is not an issue for most on our boat and I will post some pictures of the wave this evening. Not sure where you are located, but mine is going up for sale in the next few weeks. 

11 hours ago, cWonka said:

Why have you eliminated the 04-05 LSVs? They are the same hull as the 06-09 LSV and the 05+ VLX (V25), they're 300# lighter dry weight which could help you stay under your lift limit, and your more likely to find a reasonable to low hour boat in your price range than a high hour 07-08? For your list of wants, the 04-05 with a ballast upgrade is a GREAT target boat!!

Not knowing much about this stuff, I have heard the power wedge in the 06+ Malibu models will make a big difference in the wave for surfing. That's why I was thinking of 06+ models.

3 hours ago, achimbos said:

Currently have an '06 VLX and we get a surfable wave using the stock tanks and a 750 on the floor. We also have a Nauticurl that works wonders. Surfing ropeless is not an issue for most on our boat and I will post some pictures of the wave this evening. Not sure where you are located, but mine is going up for sale in the next few weeks. 

I'm in Northern, CA. If looking out of state, I'd like to get an inspection at a Malibu shop if you have one nearby. PM me.

I'm located in Montana and the Malibu dealer is 190 miles from me. My '06 only has a manual wedge, so that might be a deal breaker for you. My local mechanic actual worked at the Great Falls dealer prior to moving to Bozeman and I'm sure I can coordinate something with him once the winterizing rush settles down.