Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Question on vinyl repair of split seam

cla10beck

Crew,

What are my options to have these splits in the vinyl repaired.  I have searched the forum and have seen a few different thoughts.  Some say you need to install an all new skin, while others have had success with taking to an upholstery shop and having them resew the seam and reinstall the skin.  One challenge is part of the seats have the perforated vinyl which I'm not sure how easy that is to get and match.

image.png.9fe578bee0bf111d36d05d618f023ebd.png

Thanks in advance

You can find some of the older Malibu vinyl at Greatlaksskipper.  I would think there is not a lot of material to work with there.  And some of that stuff is not easily resown, my upholstery guy tells me.  Good luck!

Best bet is to get a pro to give you their opinion.  On my dad's '01, the vinyl shop he worked with was able to take the existing panels apart, sew in a new bead, and reinstall with slightly less material wrapping around onto the seat bases.  Only been two seasons so far so longevity of this repair is unknown, but it looks great so far...

But it's an '01, meaning it's not the perforated vinyl, which seems a bit more brittle to me.  I have some on the motor box on my Response and it's the only place there's a vinyl tear where something nicked that perforated section.

2 hours ago, cla10beck said:

Crew,

What are my options to have these splits in the vinyl repaired.  I have searched the forum and have seen a few different thoughts.  Some say you need to install an all new skin, while others have had success with taking to an upholstery shop and having them resew the seam and reinstall the skin.  One challenge is part of the seats have the perforated vinyl which I'm not sure how easy that is to get and match.

image.png.9fe578bee0bf111d36d05d618f023ebd.png

Thanks in advance

Find a local upholstery shop that will take the skin off, re stretch and double stitch at the seam.  I had a lady local to me that did this for my 07 on just about every seat.  Those corner seats she charged me like $40.  Even if you have to have it done again in two years, if the vinyl is still good.