Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Scared about upcoming frost

Malibuckeye

I'm in MN and early Sat morning they're calling for our first frost and 34 degrees.  My boat is on a lift and I won't be able to get it out of the water before the weekend.  My questions are how worried should I be and are there any tips/tricks anyone has to keep the engine / heater core a tad warmer?

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MEMRGZE/

You don't have to worry about the Twin Cities Sat. morning.  Be ready for the first hard freeze though.  Less that 30 for 12 hours or less than 28 for 4 hours is my threshold.

Thanks Minnmarker!  going to order that heater right now.  

I live in Idaho and we are having a cold snap this week.  I drained the block and exhaust on Monday night.  I leave my boat on the trailer under a lean-to shed.  It’s been in the low 20’s everyday this week when I leave for work in the morning at 7 AM and the water bottle I set on the bow of the boat hasn’t had a trace of ice in it yet.  34 degrees wouldn’t worry me at all especially if the boat is in the water.

2 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

34F?  No worries.

yeah I'm paranoid.  I'm coming from a Yamaha boat where I'd just blip the throttle a couple times and blow the water out and call it good.  

I understand the paranoia, but you will be fine IMHO.  I've never had an issue, and at MUCH colder temps.  Plus the lake moderates the temps.  You should have a weather station or a recording thermometer in the boat to confirm - I did that for years.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Malibuckeye said:

I'm in MN and early Sat morning they're calling for our first frost and 34 degrees.  My boat is on a lift and I won't be able to get it out of the water before the weekend.  My questions are how worried should I be and are there any tips/tricks anyone has to keep the engine / heater core a tad warmer?

Thanks.

34 isn't below freezing

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Malibuckeye said:

Thanks.

You have another month of boating left ;)

• Like 3

Just drop the boat partially in the water, and leave all the compartments closed, and the cover on.

The warm water will transfer all the warmth you need.  I know a ton of people that do this, and don’t have any issues, even on late fall evenings when temps fall to 20ish....... you’d be surprised how much heat will transfer out of the water. (Unless your water has cooled down below 55-60 already.

First if you are on a lift the lake is well over freezing. So that in itself keeps the boat warmer.  As minnmarker said it takes 12 hours or more to get a solid freeze in the block. The things that can be affected in less time would be heater core, shower .  Small things without mass.  I normally keep  my boat on the water on nights going into the hi twenty's. The times I saw mid or low twenty's I would warm the boat up before I hit the sack and kept it closer to the water.  Never had an issue. If I was going to be out of town I had a light in the engine box for just a bit of heat.

Edited by Sixball