Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

No Start: Put Some Gas In / Fuel Level Sender

smileysteve

Hi, I'm new to the Malibu World, just bought a 2006 Malibu VRide.

I've taken my new boat out for some slalom and skiing already, but yesterday went for a surf with a wake shaper and 1 500lb bag with some water in it. During the middle of my session, the boat started losing power and we had to paddle it back towards land (quite the pre-work workout).

So, searched through a bunch of old threads here and used my general knowledge to check down the No Start Checklist.

1. Checked for fuel pump relay priming
  2. Checked for spark (seemed week, but it was firing)
  3. Double checked new fuel filter to ensure correct direction, and blew through it; Cleaned the fuel pump sock
  4. Tried with Ether (it ignited, so fuel is the issue)

So, I'm thinking either the fuel pump wheel is burned out, the oil pressure sensor is broken, or something.

A little more backstory, this happened during test driving and I made the previous owner take it to a mechanic who replaced the plugs, rotor, cap and had tested it again on the lake. 

So, last night, thinking it's time to escalate to the mechanic, I come up with an idea;  Put 5 gallons of gas in; it's low or 0 cost, why not.

Sure enough, it fired up on the second try and purred like a kitten.

Trust nothing; and when you start troubleshooting things that aren't likely to fail, don't forget the most basic (and free ones) 

Yay!

• Like 1

So to summarize, I think, you ran out of fuel although the gauge didn't indicate empty...?  Actually a faulty or inaccurate fuel gauge reading is not at all uncommon, especially in that era of malibu's.  Glad you got it sorted out and was simple.  Now top her off and run it like you stole it!!  My 06 vRide was a great boat!!

Exactly; Ran out of fuel and the gauge indicated 3/4 of a tank. Thanks the forum, I found a lot of people complaining of gauges reading 0 or half->full all of the time.

So thanks to the board for existing; it has been every helpful.

Edited by smileysteve
Clarify thanks