Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heater duct locations and repair

Dumb questions but (a) the heater ducts seem to run up to two black plastic covers on the dash which are screwed closed (black phillips that don't seem to have been unscrewed in a long time).  Is the idea you unscrew and remove those covers (one on each side of dash) in colder weather?  No easy on-off solution I guess.

(2) I thought one of the hoses would pull out to be shoved down a wetsuit but don't see anything like that.  (I don't have a shower).

(3) one of the hoses is ripped just after it comes through the floor. I assume there's a barb or conduit or something like that? I haven't wanted to pull it all the way out until I know how to repair it.  Getting chilly here in RI.

Thanks.

smDhL9sXSmeoDGNhCK+Y6w.jpg

j5%evYURTym7obHPt7rrCA.jpg

Z8UJTVmDRuGKL66PpfAW+Q.jpg

Edited by Gara

Are you sure you have a heater on your boat?  What I think you are describing is the fresh air ducts.  Those tie into vents at the dash and route back to the engine compartment to provide air when underway.  

A true heater uses essentially the same looking ducts, but are fed out of a heater core typically located under the dash.  If you have that, you should also have a heater switch to turn the heater fan on, similar to your car.   

If you do have a heater, you may have fixed or pull out vents, or a combo of both.  The pull out is what you are thinking to put inside your towel, etc. vs a fixed vent (again, similar to a fixed vent in a car).  

I do have a heater, and switch, and it works well through the fixed vents.  You must be describing a different part of the ventilation system I'm now aware of - thanks. I'll get some pic's when it stops raining.

One oddity is that when I turned the heater on, or the blower motor, the operating temperature starts fluctuating -- higher, from 170 to close to 175 or 177 -- according to the gauge.  Shut them off, and it stops.  I would have thought the temp sensor would not be affected by ambient temp.

Edited by Gara

The two bigger black things are your fresh air ducts.

Your heater is the round thing on the left side of the driver dash.  There should be one under the driver dash and a pull-out in the walk-through to the bow.  The one under the dash should be relocated further forward, which is pretty simple to do, as the location is awful where Malibu puts it.  

For the love of god, pull the windshield and replace those awful Infinity speakers.  I'm going to guess the rest of your stereo needs some love too.  You LS1 (not LS-1...LS1 is an GM three character RPO code) is partly closed cooled, so the heater is using the coolant going through the motor.  The temp shouldn't fluctuate with the heater on/off.  Mine stays rock solid.  Any fluctuation would have me looking at the sensor first and thermostat second.