Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering Wheel Noise/Chatter

albernhagen

Hey All - I have an issue with my 2012 Response LX.  When I am driving at slalom/barefoot speeds, I feel a lot of noise and vibration in the steering wheel.  It seems the chatter is coming from the rack right behind the steering wheel and sounds like gears rattling together.  I notice it going in a straight line at high RPMs and I think it might do it when turning, too.  I was thinking that maybe I should just change the rack out -- no need to do the full steering cable since the boat steers super easy.  Is it possible to replace just the rack?  Or is there anything I can do to disassemble it and grease it or anything?

Thanks!

Andy

When you say chatter at speed, my 1st thought is always to think of running gear.  specifically prop.  any little imperfection will be magnified at speed.  i had a prop on a direct drive that had been there 4 years with no known strikes or anything that seemed out of the ordinary, but i had a little chatter at higher speeds.  Someone suggested that I send the prop for a tune-up.  I removed the prop and inspected it and decided, even though it looked perfect, since i had it off, I'd send it off.  I was blown away at how smooth the boat ran after getting the prop I thought was perfect before, back on.

I seem to have this issue when taking off from dead stop and my boat is at an angle while coming out of hole shot.  Steering wheel or rack and pinion chatters or vibrates until I straighten her out then it's completely fine.  I just figured it was due to pressure on the running gear by being at an angle at take off considering it disappears when I straighten. 

Try setting the trim tab on your rudder a few degrees to the left. That will “load” your rudder a bit and should eliminate the chatter you are experiencing.

In addition to that, you could also remove the rack from the pinion behind the steering column and grease the assembly. Best to use some graphite grease for that job.

Edited by Chaabo
  • Like 1

Thanks all.  I have the rudder tab torqued pretty good to make sure it tracks well for slalom, but I can't remember which why I have it pushed.  I can try changing it again.  The steering feels pretty free, but I do have the tab pushed enough the boat will turn at speed.

Is it a lot of work to take apart the rack behind the steering wheel and grease it?  I haven't torn it apart before.

1 hour ago, albernhagen said:

Is it a lot of work to take apart the rack behind the steering wheel and grease it?  I haven't torn it apart before.

No big deal!

Remove 4 bolts 10 or 13mm (it’s been a while since I had it open) and the rack slides right down/off.