Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 Surfgate circuit breaker recall

hethj7

It has to do with a circuit breaker thats not in a good location. Every boat needs to be inspected, but its possible that not very boat will need the breaker relocated. Its the breaker that powers the surfgate/wedge relay module. 

Yes received the letter yesterday.   I called my dealer this morning.  Active Water Sports informed me that they had already taken care of the issue when my boat was in previously for service!   Seems dealers were informed by Malibu about the issue a long time ago and instructed to make repairs.   

Malibu is following up with the letter to ensure all boats get inspected.    Check with your dealer.  Could be the problem is already resolved.  

Edited by ORMailbuboater
  • Like 3
27 minutes ago, ctvandy23 said:

Wondering the same thing when I got mine?  I saw certified and I thought heck I must have won a new boat...they are off the hook. 

Yes liability is off them if u signed for it drive boat after and something happened after u signed the letter is my assumption? 

14 hours ago, dcarl said:

Got my letter today, boats already in the shop getting winterized and other issues. But does Malibu really have to send the letter certified? Is this normal?

Since recalls are tracked by the Coast Guard letters are sent via certified mail so that the manufacturer has the proof of contact, or attempted contact in some cases.

15 hours ago, dcarl said:

Got my letter today, boats already in the shop getting winterized and other issues. But does Malibu really have to send the letter certified? Is this normal?

Its being Coast Guard monitored. So they want proof to give the CG.

12 hours ago, ctvandy23 said:

Wondering the same thing when I got mine?  I saw certified and I thought heck I must have won a new boat...

I love the optimism!  I always figure I must be getting sued when someone sends something certified.

6 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Some idiot on the FB page is telling people to just ignore the letter and keep using their boat until the end of the season.

has anyone posted the one page fix sheet that Malibu sent dealers?  Fixing this issue does not appear to require a phd.

4 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

I love the optimism!  I always figure I must be getting sued when someone sends something certified.

has anyone posted the one page fix sheet that Malibu sent dealers?  Fixing this issue does not appear to require a phd.

I don't think so, but the work has to be performed by a dealer for the recall to be considered complete by the coast guard.

According to the certified owner notice from malibu the work maybe cannot be performed by just any dealer.  Rather in a couple of places they used the curious phrase  "selling dealer," and in a few others, "your dealer." Wonder why they just don't want you to go into "any dealer," and let Malibu true up the Hull IDs on their end?

12 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Probably just wording on their end.

Could be because your selling dealer will usually work you in faster than someone they didn't sell the boat to?

that's definitely the unfortunate way one needs to read between the lines.  Still... for those who have moved, or whose dealer has shut down, or [insert other reason], it's poor wording and may discourage some owners from having a 19 year old with a flashlight, two screws and a power driver from spending 8 minutes on their boat.

1 minute ago, shawndoggy said:

that's definitely the unfortunate way one needs to read between the lines.  Still... for those who have moved, or whose dealer has shut down, or [insert other reason], it's poor wording and may discourage some owners from having a 19 year old with a flashlight, two screws and a power driver from spending 8 minutes on their boat.

Might be possible to figure out exactly what needs to be done, take a pic and send it to your dealer and then they could verify off of that?

10 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

love the optimism!  I always figure I must be getting sued when someone sends something certified.

Ha ha!  Me too usually, but when I got the notice I’m thinking what did I do to Malibu!  

• 2 years later...

Hello,

Could someone please tell me which circuit breaker is responsible for the wedge? I see several behind the lean back, but nothing is labeled.  2016 LSV 23. 
Thank you👍🏼