Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need new battery - Recommendations anyone?

This week seems to be “battery-week” for me. :(

Friday my truck battery died after working perfectly on a recent 1200 miles round trip, and today my boat wouldn’t start due to a dead battery. I usually don’t believe in coincidences, but in my 2010 Response it is still the original battery and I think, that getting almost 9 seasons out of it was pretty awesome.

Before I go shopping for a replacement one - does anyone here has some recommendations on which brand to buy or maybe more importantly which one to avoid?

Battery will get used more or less year round in a pretty hot and humid climate. No frost, no winter storage. Only for short outings (2-3 ski sets / 2-3 start cycles), we don’t run a stereo, cooler, heater, or any kind of lights.

Thanks a lot for your input!

Edited by Chaabo
typo

*edit*

Did a bit of reading on here and found this thread.

Looks like NAPA it is. Can anyone help me out with a # for the right size battery here?

To look batteries up on their site you have to enter vehicle data or a VIN number.

Works of course not with my MBUxxxx10 lol. :lol:

41 minutes ago, Chaabo said:

*edit*

Did a bit of reading on here and found this thread.

Looks like NAPA it is. Can anyone help me out with a # for the right size battery here?

To look batteries up on their site you have to enter vehicle data or a VIN number.

Works of course not with my MBUxxxx10 lol. :lol:

Not NAPA - they don't stand behind their stuff.  Try Interstate  etc.

2 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

And if you need warranty  - NAPA is not your friend.  BTDT.

Warranty on a battery that cost $60 is not a consideration.  Sometimes they last 2 years, sometimes 10.  Then yiu buy one that fits wherever you are. 

Buy whatever is cheap.  Costco sells Interstate Marine batteries FYI.

Now if you were needing something more specialized, for max stereo capacity or more unique installation needs, then there would be more to consider.  For instance, I run AGM batteries.  Way more expensive, but it allows me to not run a battery box...which then allowed me to put them in the most useless storage area in the boat (under the observer seat) and free up the most used storage area in the boat (observer compartment).  

If you are looking to make space, this could be a consideration for you.

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Warranty on a battery that cost $60 is not a consideration.  Sometimes they last 2 years, sometimes 10.  Then yiu buy one that fits wherever you are. 

It is if you only have one and it craps out on you.  And then you are out of pocket money that could be spent on.... beer.  :)