Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 A22 or 2017 VLX 22 or 2015 MXZ 22?

Mattonspeclake

Hi.

im looking for input on my next boat purchase. Finally narrowed it down to Axis or Malibu. 

My options are are the following. 

2019 A22 basic options with power wedge. 

2017 VLX 22 loaded with low hours.

2015 MXZ 22 loaded with low hours.

All have base engines. We surf 70% wakeboard 20% and Ski 10%. 

Thanks! 

Thanks for the all the replies! 

Has the 22 VLX changed much from 2015, 2016, 2017? I’m guessing they all have the same hull, 410 Indmar engine, gear ratio and Viper computer. But not sure!

How much do you value a full five year warranty? It is worth something to everyone but not everyone the same. Also the 22vlx was just redesigned into the 22 LSV for 19. A22 is all new for 2019. I wouldn’t just absolutely go to the 22vlx even though it’s a heck of a boat. I’d run some hard numbers on it and maybe even look at the t22 as it will be less than the A22, and is basically the axis clone of the 22vlx/LSV. 

The warranty is important if the dealer has excellent customer service, everyone says MN Inboard is the best and that been my experience on demo's and dealing with the pro-shop. 

What does a 2019 T22 w/power wedge go for?

What does a 2019 22 LSV go for?

I would rather purchase new, but these prices jump really fast!

22 LSV is going to be quite a bit. And if you got a price on a 2019 A22, id guess about 5-6k less for a T22. So you could maybe add a few more options to have a boat more suited to you. 

MN inboards is top notch. I knows a few guys there. I’d just go talk to them about pricing. They will be able to give you much more accurate information than us. 

Just lake tested a loaded 2019 A22. I believe it was priced around $90,000. So Im guessing an averaged optioned 2019 T22 will be around $80,000. Or I can get a loaded 2016 VLX 22 with 50 Hours for $80,000. 

Personally, I’d have a hard time not going with a new T22 if you can get it for the same price as the used vlx. The wake and wave on the T is phenomenal. There are some nice new features on the 19’s too, especially compared to a 2016. 

That said, I have a friend with a 2016 22 vlx and it’s a great boat too. The wave is very simple to the 2018 T22 I’m on a lot. Neither would be a “bad” buy it will just come down to what you prefer between styling, options, and warranty. 

Thanks for the info, I was really impressed with the 2019 A22's slalom wake. The dealer rep used the power wedge lift mode, the slalom wake was almost flat. The wakesurf wake was amazing both goofy and regular. Hoping the T22 as equally as good on both. 

2 hours ago, Mattonspeclake said:

Thanks for the info, I was really impressed with the 2019 A22's slalom wake. The dealer rep used the power wedge lift mode, the slalom wake was almost flat. The wakesurf wake was amazing both goofy and regular. Hoping the T22 as equally as good on both. 

I thought it beeped at you if you get to slalom speeds with the wedge down, even in lift mode.  ??  I thought it was not intended for that.  

It worked on the boat we lake tested. In all fairness, I’m new to the power wedge. I Might be confused. In any case the slalom wake looked really flat for a 22’ surf boat. 

He also recommended using the lift mode to get back to shore before a storm. I’m lost on the reasoning. 

just got my new '19 A22 wet this weekend.  I'm very impressed.  Coming from a '17 Malibu does no touchscreeen take some adjustment, sure.  But I'm not one to use presets, and don't find pushing a few buttons that problematic.  Wakes were great.  power wedge 3 is great.  only issue was stereo volume...going to have to void my warranty on my amps I think =)

• Like 1

Yes there is an alarm for the power wedge to be in lift over 25mph. But it doesn’t send the boat into limp mode or anything. Quite a few people have been reporting good results for skiing with the wedge in lift. I haven’t tried it with our boat yet.