Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heatercraft SALE

Ryan1776

Just a heads up, Heatercraft is running a 40.00 off sale. Not much, but it's something.
If you sign up for their email you get another 10%  hint....... "SIGNUP10" :whistle:
Sport kit shipped for 378.

One Heater Unit w/wire harness

One High Low switch with indicator assembly

3" Vent hose (6ft per vent)

Two 6' Sixteen-gauge wire

Universal mounting brackets & screws

Heavy duty wire ties

In light of that, anyone have tips on the install? I bought the sport kit as I can't see spending 200 bucks in heater hose and clamps for the next level up. 
I'm not mounting mine under the helm, going to install in the storage right behind the cooler on the starboard side. I also have a recirc pump I'm plumbing in so I'm going to just run from the intake manifold port and back into the waterpump port as shown via the engine manual. 

I've seen many diagrams showing the pump on the outlet side of the heater core, why? I would think you'd want to push the water through the core and not pull out of it.....

I'm going to run a stationary heat outlet to the helm area, and the two pullout hot tubes right next to the garbage can. Same compartment as the core. 

Thoughts comments? 

Edited by Ryan1776

I don't think it will matter where you put the pump, but maybe they are giving the heater core an opportunity to cool the water slightly before the pump impeller has to eat it.

I don't remember where I plumbed my return water, but I didn't use the Y pipe that they sent with my kit (because I have half-closed cooling).  That pipe is supposed to go into the raw water hose before the raw water pump.  The Y has a flat plate with a small hole drilled in it to return the hot water to the raw water stream, so three things are evident: 1) They don't need a whole lot of flow rate through a heater core; 2) Too much flow would cool the engine too much; and 3) The small hole is much more of a restriction than the heater core is, so you are indeed pushing the water through the restriction with the pump.

If you are talking about returning the hot water to the engine circulation pump, which is what I *think* I did, then everything I just said doesn't matter except that they might want to let the heater cool the water a little to help save the pump impeller by putting the pump after the core.  I don't have a pump on mine, but I think if I did, I would put it wherever I had the most room to mount it.

Anyways, have fun with your installation.  And remember, pictures, or it didn't happen....

On 9/22/2018 at 12:39 PM, Ryan1776 said:

Just a heads up, Heatercraft is running a 40.00 off sale. Not much, but it's something.
If you sign up for their email you get another 10%  hint....... "SIGNUP10" :whistle:
Sport kit shipped for 378.

One Heater Unit w/wire harness

One High Low switch with indicator assembly

3" Vent hose (6ft per vent)

Two 6' Sixteen-gauge wire

Universal mounting brackets & screws

Heavy duty wire ties

In light of that, anyone have tips on the install? I bought the sport kit as I can't see spending 200 bucks in heater hose and clamps for the next level up. 
I'm not mounting mine under the helm, going to install in the storage right behind the cooler on the starboard side. I also have a recirc pump I'm plumbing in so I'm going to just run from the intake manifold port and back into the waterpump port as shown via the engine manual. 

I've seen many diagrams showing the pump on the outlet side of the heater core, why? I would think you'd want to push the water through the core and not pull out of it.....

I'm going to run a stationary heat outlet to the helm area, and the two pullout hot tubes right next to the garbage can. Same compartment as the core. 

Thoughts comments? 

I installed two 3 port 300s in my 2013 23 LSV (total of 6 pull out vents as we almost always have 5 or 6 in the crew) back in the summer of 2013.  One is under observer seat and one by the starboard side rear corner just behind the cooler which became our rope storage until I sewed Rope storage pockets on the bimini.  boat is at the lake.  I will take pictures this weekend of the install.  if you want i can email them directly to you or text them.  if you want pm me your info.  FYI, Took me two days at about 3 hours each day to do the entire install.  for a single install you should be able to get it done in a few hours, depending on how much you organize and plan ahead.  i might be able to do a brief video and send that also. If you think it will help you, Let me know if you want this as i will be at the lake this coming weekend.  All the best! 

Sorry for the delay! Didn't notice people responding. :blush:

Thanks to everyone with the help. 

@BlackBluMalibu Thank you for your offer, I'll take you up on it, I'll PM you my info. 

Just to let everyone know, Heatercraft was on a min 3 week back order. So I canceled it. 

@Cole2001

I ordered this from Summit Racing.  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-991106/overview/

Guess what? It says "marine heater" right on it....and guess what else? It's made by Maradyne....The company that use to own heatercraft before they split. It's a really nice part. 

and this  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-991103-1

Free shipping. Next day arrival.

AND since NO ONE has the pull out tubes, 

I called this guy, he's very cool, very nice and helpful. 

http://www.boat-heaters.com/68-boat-hot-tube-ta8000506.html

MUCH better pull out tubes in my opinion. Touch cheaper. 
I'll have the heater installed tomorrow minus the pullout tubes because they're coming from Texas and won't make it in time. 

@justgary I'm actually not using that Y pipe fitting. I'm going to go right from the intake to the core and back to the water pump. As I understand it, No need for the Y if using the pump. The Y is for low rpm. I"ll also report back as to how that cheap hot water solar cooling pump works. 

Edited by Ryan1776
On 9/26/2018 at 8:54 PM, dalt1 said:

Following.

You didn’t get a heater in that leftover new boat?  I ordered one down south, can’t believe they didn’t order a stock boat without a heater

59 minutes ago, Ryan1776 said:

Sorry for the delay! Didn't notice people responding. :blush:

Thanks to everyone with the help. 

@BlackBluMalibu Thank you for your offer, I'll take you up on it, I'll PM you my info. 

Just to let everyone know, Heatercraft was on a min 3 week back order. So I canceled it. 

@Cole2001

I ordered this from Summit Racing.  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-991106/overview/

Guess what? It says "marine heater" right on it....and guess what else? It's made by Maradyne....The company that use to own heatercraft before they split. It's a really nice part. 

and this  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-991103-1

Free shipping. Next day arrival.

AND since NO ONE has the pull out tubes, 

I called this guy, he's very cool, very nice and helpful. 

http://www.boat-heaters.com/68-boat-hot-tube-ta8000506.html

MUCH better pull out tubes in my opinion. Touch cheaper. 
I'll have the heater installed tomorrow minus the pullout tubes because they're coming from Texas and won't make it in time. 

@justgary I'm actually not using that Y pipe fitting. I'm going to go right from the intake to the core and back to the water pump. As I understand it, No need for the Y if using the pump. The Y is for low rpm. I"ll also report back as to how that cheap hot water solar cooling pump works. 

This heater is not ignition protected like heater craft marine versions, so you definitely should cancel that order and be patient and wait for the heater craft marine version.  Your call, but safety comes first in our boat. If you were to ever have fuel fumes, don't use the heater as the fan is not ignition protected.  That is the only part I would be mostly concerned about.  The quality of heater craft is also top notch.  Have over 1650 hours on our boat of which 20% of that time is in colder weather and never any issues.

9 minutes ago, BlackBluMalibu said:

This heater is not ignition protected like heater craft marine versions, so you definitely should cancel that order and be patient and wait for the heater craft marine version.  Your call, but safety comes first in our boat. If you were to ever have fuel fumes, don't use the heater as the fan is not ignition protected.  That is the only part I would be mostly concerned about.  The quality of heater craft is also top notch.  Have over 1650 hours on our boat of which 20% of that time is in colder weather and never any issues.

It specially states "Maradyne marine heater" right on the part when I received it. 

It's exactly this part.... 

http://www.boat-heaters.com/76-maradyne-marine-16-inch-stoker-heater-boat.html

Just cheaper from Summit. 

1 hour ago, Ryan1776 said:

When you use the term "water pump," it is ambiguous on an inboard boat.  I now know that you mean the circulation pump and not the raw water pump, but it does help with clarity if you use unambiguous names.

2 minutes ago, Ryan1776 said:

It specially states "Maradyne marine heater" right on the part when I received it. 

... and apparently in stock, ready to ship!

Please post pictures of your installation if you think about it.

Regards,

- Just Gary

1 minute ago, justgary said:

When you use the term "water pump," it is ambiguous on an inboard boat.  I now know that you mean the circulation pump and not the raw water pump, but it does help with clarity if you use unambiguous names.

You're absolutely correct! I should be more cognizant about my verbiage. Yes, I do mean return to the engine recirculating water pump. 

2 minutes ago, justgary said:

.. and apparently in stock, ready to ship!

Regards,

- Just Gary

Oh yeah, I ordered it Tuesday at 11am and received it Wednesday at 3pm. I'm in Michigan and they're in Ohio so it's close. 
Oh! Also saved 20 bucks on their 50year sale promo right now.

I'm not a paid member, so I'll make a video and post the link to youtube. 

4 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

You didn’t get a heater in that leftover new boat?  I ordered one down south, can’t believe they didn’t order a stock boat without a heater

Nope no heater in this one but this thread probably will cause more of these $$$ to Fly.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, justgary said:

... and apparently in stock, ready to ship!

Regards,

- Just Gary

3 hours ago, Ryan1776 said:

You're absolutely correct! I should be more cognizant about my verbiage. Yes, I do mean return to the engine recirculating water pump. 

Oh yeah, I ordered it Tuesday at 11am and received it Wednesday at 3pm. I'm in Michigan and they're in Ohio so it's close. 
Oh! Also saved 20 bucks on their 50year sale promo right now.

I'm not a paid member, so I'll make a video and post the link to youtube. 

Isn't there a add on recirculating pump normally put in with these installs instead of the  old Y pipe? Didn't see that in your purchase list. Talked to Heater Craft and they said Maradyne is what Malibu is using from factory for past 3 years or so. First told me Malibu went to cheaper Chinese company but when asking about integrating with stock factory screen they said they would have to put a connector to match Maradyne plug in my boat. They then told me it was indeed Maradyne.

3 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

Isn't there a add on recirculating pump normally put in with these installs instead of the  old Y pipe? Didn't see that in your purchase list. Talked to Heater Craft and they said Maradyne is what Malibu is using from factory for past 3 years or so. First told me Malibu went to cheaper Chinese company but when asking about integrating with stock factory screen they said they would have to put a connector to match Maradyne plug in my boat. They then told me it was indeed Maradyne.

Yeah sorry, I referenced it, but never linked to what I actually bought. http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/68536-solar-pump-for-heater-recirc/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Solar-DC-12V-24V-Hot-Water-Circulation-Pump-Brushless-Motor-Water-Pump-17ft-lift/182288508062?hash=item2a713de49e:g:YJgAAOSwmLlX4lXp

No one responded, but I read a few threads on here about using it. 
It's small and quiet. We'll see.

Edited by Ryan1776
4 hours ago, Ryan1776 said:

Yeah sorry, I referenced it, but never linked to what I actually bought. http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/68536-solar-pump-for-heater-recirc/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Solar-DC-12V-24V-Hot-Water-Circulation-Pump-Brushless-Motor-Water-Pump-17ft-lift/182288508062?hash=item2a713de49e:g:YJgAAOSwmLlX4lXp

No one responded, but I read a few threads on here about using it. 
It's small and quiet. We'll see.

So with everything you listed in this thread, you got about $360 and still need to buy wire and hose right?

10 hours ago, Ryan1776 said:

Ok, interesting that the summit link shows it to be “Automotive “ not  Marine unless I read it wrong. Glad it is Marine version they sent. All good! 

All right there in the description, don't see any mention of auto.

Maradyne Marine 16" Stoker Heater With 3 - 3" Outlets - MM-A1160001

1 Engineered motor cooling duct for increased life
2 Thermoplastic blower gasket
3 Heavy duty glass-filled nylon heaterbox
4 Inner wall strengthening plates with threaded 1/4-20 nuts
5 Heavy duty mounting brackets
6 Thermoplastic coil compression gasket
7 One-piece glass-filled nylon outlet or vented covers with optional outlets available (also available in corrosion resistant powder coated metal, minimum quantities required)

Click To View Installation Instructions

• Conforms to SAE J1171, ISO 8846 and ISO 9097 for ignition protection
• All hardware is marine grade Non corrosive construction
• Full selection of accessories and mounting kits 

In his post way back he must have copied and pasted the wrong link ... 

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-991106/overview/

this link shows automotive heater, which is back in his first post about Summit. That was what I referring to.  Sorry my bad, I just did not want him getting one ignition unprotected. Lol, things can happen when you are unprotected... anyway, all good, he’s got the correct one and that is the important part! 👍 

@dalt1 @BlackBluMalibu  lol you're both right. 
The summit link I sent does indeed say "automotive" and 2nd link I posted from "boat-heaters.com" is indeed the Maradyne heater link. 
What I was using the 2nd link for was to show what actually came. Even though Summit lists it as Automotive it is indeed a marine heater. 

Dalt-Lets see.

• Heater and standard vent with 10' of hose 200.00shipped
  • 2 pull out hot tubes from boat-heaters.com 140. Shipped
  • 30' of 5/8 heater hose buck a foot from local automotive plus fittings into engine 50.00
  • Recirc pump from ebay 15.00
  • Still need two fittings for pump that I haven't found yet. Guessing sub 20.00

So 425.00 about 50 bucks over the base heatercraft kit AND I'm getting better (to me) hot tubes, heater hose fittings and pump. 

• Like 1
On 9/29/2018 at 8:46 AM, Ryan1776 said:

@dalt1 @BlackBluMalibu  lol you're both right. 
The summit link I sent does indeed say "automotive" and 2nd link I posted from "boat-heaters.com" is indeed the Maradyne heater link. 
What I was using the 2nd link for was to show what actually came. Even though Summit lists it as Automotive it is indeed a marine heater. 

Dalt-Lets see.

• Heater and standard vent with 10' of hose 200.00shipped
  • 2 pull out hot tubes from boat-heaters.com 140. Shipped
  • 30' of 5/8 heater hose buck a foot from local automotive plus fittings into engine 50.00
  • Recirc pump from ebay 15.00
  • Still need two fittings for pump that I haven't found yet. Guessing sub 20.00

So 425.00 about 50 bucks over the base heatercraft kit AND I'm getting better (to me) hot tubes, heater hose fittings and pump. 

Thanks Ryan

Now if I can come up with info from a Raptor 410 install that will help.

Is there an easy way to tell which hose is which on your heater without making a mess of things?  I plan to ski all winter and would like heat at idle or at rest.  That solar pump might be the ticket, but gotta know which line it goes on and directionality.  Install would be under dash as those aren't ignition protected pumps.

15 hours ago, dalt1 said:

Thanks Ryan

Now if I can come up with info from a Raptor 410 install that will help.

If you decide to use that pump, I had a hard time finding the correct fittings local without 2 or 3 adapters. 

So.... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CV4WCJB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Ryan1776