Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help with oil filter!!

foiler1

Good morning. want to change my oil before winterization. I cant see the numbers on the filter so I went to unscrew it a little so I could see them. Cant find oil filter wrench, so I used the old fashioned type and. It wouldn't budge and ended up crushing the filter a bit. I dug deeper into my cellar and found the correct wrench, but now it will not grab because it crushed. Two questions

1) Can anyone tell me the number on the filter? 2007 LCR 320

2) Other than jamming a screwdriver through the filter, is there another way?

Thanks in advance!!!!

9 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

my manual cover says 2007, but inside on the specs for 2006. is my motor the 5.7?

29 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Second this one.  Not sure how the filter gets on so tight when I just hand tighten it.  Getting the filter loose takes a few busted knuckles and some swearing.

44 minutes ago, JeffK said:

We've tried them all at the dealership  In the end, I use this guy and reach from the v-drive access point to break it loose.  I make sure the wrench is as far up on the filter mating point as possible.

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-5866-12-Inch-Filter-Pliers/dp/B000NPR33O?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffab-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000NPR33O

@JeffKThat is one tool I dont have...I will have to get one. 

I had one so bad on a previous boat that a mechanic ended up ripping it all and had to hang upside down with a hammer and chisel to get the metal base loose.

I always put a dab of oil on the oring before putting filter back on and I put it on hand tight then add 1/4 turn.  Always come off easy now.

Can you get your filter wrench up higher?  Did you warm the engine up first?  

23 hours ago, Chaabo said:

The Fram PH30 will work as well, as all other filters you can cross-reference to them.

Please do not ever, EVER use a Fram filter.  Pretty much the worst POS filters you can buy.  

As for the OP's issue, a strap wrench should work...just make sure to get any oily residue off of the filter so it can grip well.

• Like 2
On 9/22/2018 at 9:11 AM, JeffK said:

We've tried them all at the dealership  In the end, I use this guy and reach from the v-drive access point to break it loose.  I make sure the wrench is as far up on the filter mating point as possible.

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-5866-12-Inch-Filter-Pliers/dp/B000NPR33O?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffab-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000NPR33O

I purchased this one this summer. Not sure why I ever used the other strap wrenches. This works great.

One trick that helps with filters, warm the engine up!  Cold removal is usually harder. 

Napa Gold 1042

https://www.indmar.com/service-products/oil-filters-cartridges/

Hope this helps

• Like 2
7 hours ago, footndale said:

I forgot about that thread I made. I ended up doing a hybrid remote filter setup.  Indmar on the engine and a Jegs generic remote mount setup for everything else.  

Saved over $100 doing this and get a much bigger filter in the process.  I run a K&N filter which has the bottom nut for easy removal.