Jump to content

 

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
powderjay

Going to test a GS24 this weekend

Recommended Posts

powderjay

Feeling guilty,  but if one boat can do it all respectively... One less boat to store, one less boat to winterize, one less boat to insure..   Then I could also keep my whaler dockside and avoid a mini marina in front of the cottage.  Mind you it has to be good!  Keep you posted..

gs24.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Falko

That's a pretty nice looking boat. Any of you rich guys looking for a kidney??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ID AX

 Enjoy the demo but make sure they bring extra ballast for the lockers if it doesn’t have it already.   I’ve done two demos on a GS22 1 without extra ballast and 1 with and the extra weight makes a big difference.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hemmy
3 minutes ago, Falko said:

That's a pretty nice looking boat. Any of you rich guys looking for a kidney??

Ha! I am good on the kidney.  Got one about 22 months ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Hulk
1 hour ago, powderjay said:

Feeling guilty,  but if one boat can do it all respectively... One less boat to store, one less boat to winterize, one less boat to insure..   Then I could also keep my whaler dockside and avoid a mini marina in front of the cottage.  Mind you it has to be good!  Keep you posted..

gs24.htm

Gs24Probably same price range as a 25lsv... Depending on options for each.. 

They are VERY clean looking especially inside, that 24 looks very roomy! .. but the price is inline with Malibu last I saw.. strange that nautique didn't make a larger price gap for their econo line.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CJAY

Why feel guilty, nautique makes a killer product and that's a nice looking boat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ajive

Nautique makes sick boats, but I found the storage space and surf wave to be lacking in the smaller GS.

I wanted the GS bad, but it just didn't complete very well to the LSV in a lot of ways.  Looking forward to your review of the 24!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
powderjay

Well she’s a beautiful boat.  Love the lines, interior, finishes, sound, etc...

 

skiing.  Didn’t bring a rope and the one they had put me just beyond the rooster... ok but no ideal.  Jury still out on that one.  

 

Surf... nic,  seemed to put me farther back on the wave.  Not as much push as mine but we didn’t spend a ton of time dialing it in.. I’m not a big surfer anyway.  My boy 11, tried and enjoyed it.  With tweaking I’m sure she could do as well or close enough to the BU.  This boat had the extra 700lbs bags in the back. 

Best feature was that you never lose the horizon.  I have to stand in my bu when we are fully weighted to see.  This boat performs better at that than mine for sure.

We did seem to have a problem with listing when the boat was empty(ballasts) Very noticeable with slight movement from passengers. Rep could not explain and also felt it was unacceptable.   

Not yet ready to ditch the 2 boat system.  Offering only 80k on my 117hr bu and the Nautique was stickered at 148.  Sorry posting from the iPhone without my readers :(   

Edited by powderjay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dedbiker

We're running that 24mxz... Everyone keeps telling us that it is the best wave they have seen.  Getting little chilly for us Michigan folks..  But maybe worth a test float if your shopping around.  The 24 is heavy.  Displaces a lot of water.  I do not have a problem looking over the bow surfing.  We just love this boat.

Edited by Dedbiker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TallRedRider
On 9/21/2018 at 12:54 PM, The Hulk said:

Gs24Probably same price range as a 25lsv... Depending on options for each.. 

They are VERY clean looking especially inside, that 24 looks very roomy! .. but the price is inline with Malibu last I saw.. strange that nautique didn't make a larger price gap for their econo line.. 

I think that they don't consider the GS series the econo line.  It is supposed to be the 'do it all' line, ski, wakeboard and surf.  As much as there seems to be a market for that, it seems that every test drive I have seen written then says 'well it didn't surf as well as my LSV', or 'it doesn't ski as well as my Response' and the tester is unimpressed.  PowderJay was one of the first guys I have seen who thought it could get close enough to a quality surf wave, but admits surfing is not much his thing.  

148 K sticker would seem about right.  Plenty of guys at Planet Nautique suggest with good negotiation, you can get 20% off, but regional variance is pretty big.  That would be 118K.  

That leaning...it has been reported as a thing on PN.  

My impression thus far is that although we all think a 3 sport boat is a great idea, it just doesn't translate into a lot of people actually buying it.  Most people gravitate to one sport and then are happy with super mediocre performance for the others.  

Edited by TallRedRider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NWBU
32 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

I think that they don't consider the GS series the econo line.  It is supposed to be the 'do it all' line, ski, wakeboard and surf.  As much as there seems to be a market for that, it seems that every test drive I have seen written then says 'well it didn't surf as well as my LSV', or 'it doesn't ski as well as my Response' and the tester is unimpressed.  PowderJay was one of the first guys I have seen who thought it could get close enough to a quality surf wave, but admits surfing is not much his thing.  

148 K sticker would seem about right.  Plenty of guys at Planet Nautique suggest with good negotiation, you can get 20% off, but regional variance is pretty big.  That would be 118K.  

That leaning...it has been reported as a thing on PN.  

My impression thus far is that although we all think a 3 sport boat is a great idea, it just doesn't translate into a lot of people actually buying it.  Most people gravitate to one sport and then are happy with super mediocre performance for the others.  

+1.

Correct Craft’s only econo line is Supreme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ID AX

We are still considering a gs22.  We are one of the weird families that find ourselves starting to ski more and surf less.  My experience is the gs series is NOT a budget line.  In fact I would bet the 148k for a gs24 is the out the door price and msrp is higher than that.  A fully loaded gs22 is around 135k and that includes the H6 option.  Prob do a little better but this line up isn’t much less than the G series.  Heck a fully loaded ‘19 22LSV is coming out at about 120ish w/ 450 option.  Again that’s not msrp.  These dang boats are getting expensive.  

Also, we didn’t notice any leaning in either of our demos but it was the same boat both times. 

Edited by ID AX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eagleboy99
5 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

....

My impression thus far is that although we all think a 3 sport boat is a great idea, it just doesn't translate into a lot of people actually buying it.  Most people gravitate to one sport and then are happy with super mediocre performance for the others.  

1

I am not sure I agree from what I see.  Seem up here that there is a bell curve for boats; 100% surf only on the left tail; 100% slalom on the right; and lots of crossover folks in the middle of the bell (although wakeboarding seems to have fallen by the wayside:  not much up here). I think if Malibu made a nice 20-21 foot boat that could surf and still slalom and didn't cost a fortune they'd sell.  I'd buy one even if it mean giving a bit on the Response-like slalom wake.  Think about say, a Response TXI with Surfgate ot the 21/22 (?) larger version with mid-ship engine.  Add a hook to the hull and gates and PnP  ballast and you'd have a winner.  But of course that would cannibalize sales of the Queen Mary-sized boats (which have a much higher profit margin than my proposed boat).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ID AX

My wife has made the comment, if Malibu made a 22vtx it would be a no brainer for us.  But we are not the majority and recognize it.  

I will say I am talking to more and more people who are getting into slalom.  Everything cycles and I am going to get flamed but surfing will have it’s cyle as well.  Look at wakeboarding.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wheelman
2 minutes ago, ID AX said:

My wife has made the comment, if Malibu made a 22vtx it would be a no brainer for us.  But we are not the majority and recognize it.  

I will say I am talking to more and more people who are getting into slalom.  Everything cycles and I am going to get flamed but surfing will have it’s cyle as well.  Look at wakeboarding.  

I will disagree as surfing is a sport almost anyone can do behind the boat with little to no impact and injuries and also can do anytime and any water condition. This is what is driving sales and pricing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ID AX
1 minute ago, wheelman said:

I will disagree as surfing is a sport almost anyone can do behind the boat with little to no impact and injuries and also can do anytime and any water condition. This is what is driving sales and pricing. 

I can’t disagree on your points but will say that the majority of our society has a short attn span and is always looking for the next thing.  For us it has become the ability to do everything on the water and do it well.  

To tie back into the thread, The gs series does this the best that we have found to this point.  It has a good, not great surf wave but excels at ski wake when compared to similar size boats.  The wakeboard wake is more than good for everyone that I know.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eagleboy99
18 minutes ago, ID AX said:

My wife has made the comment, if Malibu made a 22vtx it would be a no brainer for us.  But we are not the majority and recognize it.  

I will say I am talking to more and more people who are getting into slalom.  Everything cycles and I am going to get flamed but surfing will have it’s cyle as well.  Look at wakeboarding.  

I agree - slalom has had a real resurgence in the last couple of years.  We are out at 6-6:30 AM and sometimes we are not the first ones!  If only folks knew how to do a boat rotation... <sigh>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX
2 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I am not sure I agree from what I see.  Seem up here that there is a bell curve for boats; 100% surf only on the left tail; 100% slalom on the right; and lots of crossover folks in the middle of the bell (although wakeboarding seems to have fallen by the wayside:  not much up here). I think if Malibu made a nice 20-21 foot boat that could surf and still slalom and didn't cost a fortune they'd sell.  I'd buy one even if it mean giving a bit on the Response-like slalom wake.  Think about say, a Response TXI with Surfgate ot the 21/22 (?) larger version with mid-ship engine.  Add a hook to the hull and gates and PnP  ballast and you'd have a winner.  But of course that would cannibalize sales of the Queen Mary-sized boats (which have a much higher profit margin than my proposed boat).

Hmmm like a 20 VTX?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eagleboy99
35 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Hmmm like a 20 VTX?

No.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX
3 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

No.

Oh ok. You’re right, it can’t slalom or surf....

57BE618D-CFE0-4A2B-A76F-BA8589F64706.thumb.jpeg.3e00051f89a84930e7e26924e87fd645.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eagleboy99

Give me a video of  skier at 28-30 mph 60 ft line.  Then we will talk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX

You can easily get the vtx for under 100k. 

Slowest I have video at is 32. -15 off. And if an adult is skiing slower then that, they shouldn’t be. But you are right. The vtx and any cross over on the market is not good at 28-30mph. Physics takes over, you can’t have a boat surf and ski well at all settings and speeds. You can’t surf the vtx at 11-11.5mph like you can the 24 Mxz, and that also means you can’t ski it at every single line length and speed. But for what it is it’s a very impressive boat and a very good crossover. 

Heres the 32mph 15 off. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eagleboy99
21 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Oh ok. You’re right, it can’t slalom or surf....

57BE618D-CFE0-4A2B-A76F-BA8589F64706.thumb.jpeg.3e00051f89a84930e7e26924e87fd645.jpeg

To be fair, you are obviously a decent slalom skier.  I grew up on 70's era Nautiques and if you could survive those you could easily manage the much better VTX.  But it is not about you and me, it is about getting kids, new skiers and loner line skiers a decent pull.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX

The wake is still rounded at 28mph so kids skiing that are still learning are going to be just fine. I’ll get a picture of the wake at 28 the next time I’m out. I don’t know anyone that skis at 28 mph and my daughter is only one so I can’t get video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...