Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 wakesetter - gauges not working

clint888

Hi people,

Thought I would post my problem on this thread and see if there is any advice I can gain

I have a 2006 wakesetter 247 lsv. The gauges have stopped working for some reason. Usually on start up I hear a whirr from the gauges as they power up. Not one of the gauges is working but the boat starts fine.

I have read this thread and I am unable to find the fuses that are suppose to feed the MMDC  model 7021-0001 unit under the dash. From what I can see the there is a loom going to a multi pin plug which then goes into the MMDC unit and from there the MMDC unit feeds each of the gauges. Perhaps my model doesn;t utilise the inline fuses.

I have checked the following.

Power is present at the MMDC through the wiring loom but there does not seem to be power coming FROM the MMDC. I pulled the MMDC apart and cleaned all the corrosion off the unit but still no luck.

Grounding seems fine, continuity through the MMDC to the ground bar.

Cleaned checked all wiring connectors sprayed with crc 226.

Does anyone know what each of the pins /cable cores coming from the MDC to each of the gauges represent. From what I can work out the blue wire is the illumination wire, red/white power, grey/black ground, yellow wire ground. I am unsure what voltages I should be getting at each of these points.

I applied 12vdc to the red/white wires as a test to see if there may be a blown circuit in the MDC. The gauges all fired up and I was leaning toward the MMDC unit have a blown component internally to output power. After a while my mate saw some smoke coming from the tacho gauge so I have probably blown it up.

Does anyone have any wiring diagrams/ circuit diagrams of the wiring from the MMDC to the gauges 

Does anyone know if there is a way to test/ verify the can bus system from the ECU to the MMDC and the workings of that system.

I am really struggling to find detailed information on the workings of these systems and have not spoke or met anyone with a detailed understanding of these systems.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/10/2018 at 10:24 PM, clint888 said:

Hi all,

Update on fixing the boat. Initial problem was as above the gauges stopped working on the dash.

We tested a few items and weren't getting any voltage out of the MMDC to power the gauges.

Here is all the items we checked then the problem we found.

Checked all grounding lugs and terminals on the boat. Removed all lugs and cleaned with sand paper then re secured to boat motor and dash ground bar and battery terminals.

Tested all the pins on the 36 pin MMDC connecter plug. We were getting 13.2 volts on both power terminal. The MMDC requires both power sources across two sets of pins. One is purple and the other is red and white. Dont confuse the other red and white cable as it is 7 vdc.

Replaced the MMDC from medallion. Had to go via linked in and got a contact called Jess Doom she was really helpful. Purchased new MMDC, and all gauges for the boat as we are in Australia and we dont stock oil let alone new 2006 model gauges.

Plugged new MMDC in and new gauges. nothing working. Again tested pins voltage and low resistance to ground so no grounding issues. no comms issues either as we purchased the software so cna access all the fault codes and ECU parameters for our boat.

Checked all oil switches temp switches as the buzzer for the boat was on.

THE FIX

Finally we decided to fully isolate all wiring from the MMDC to the boat main loom and disconnected all instruments on the 36 pin plug so there was no I/O or grounding back feeding the MMDC. We then spliced the red and white cable which required 12VDC and went directly off the battery. We joined the purple cable and the red white cable together as they bothe rrequire 12VDC. And the gauges fired up and started working.

Traced the red and white cable all the way back to the series of circuit breakers near the drivers side and then tested the circuit breaker. 12VDC unloaded but when loaded with the MMDC and instrument gauges we were getting 5 VDC. Moved the automotive lug to the circuit breaker next to it and the gauges work 100%.

So in saying this if your gauges dont work you first need to know what each core of your MMDC harness does. We spoje directly to medallion and they emailed me a full wiring diagram for my boat.

Check all grounding. Check and isolate each instrument on your boat as it may be earthing out if there is a short. Dont trust your circuit breakers to be working they fail under load. Get a small peice of wire and fuse it with a 2 amp fuse and go directly off your battery.

Spent 2 grand on new MMDC, gauges etc. It was a absolute shi t fault with loads of hours and cable pulling but now we know how the whole MMDC can bus and wiring system work so anyone needs a hand let us know.

2006 malibu wakesetter 247 lsv

Hey Mate, Any chance you can share the wiring diagram? I have an O2 response, i have an intermittent gauge problem when that are working then not. I figure it has to be a contact, earth ot voltage problem. Pretty sure my harness with be pretty much the same?

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/13/2019 at 9:21 PM, Timbo2002 said:

Hey Mate, Any chance you can share the wiring diagram? I have an O2 response, i have an intermittent gauge problem when that are working then not. I figure it has to be a contact, earth ot voltage problem. Pretty sure my harness with be pretty much the same?

How did you go with your problem. My in dash display has been dropping out all season on my 07 Response. 

• 2 weeks later...

As a tip I would take the time to move the cable feeding the mmdc to a new circuit breaker on your boat. Just try it and see if that fixes the intermittent fault as if the circuit breaker is failing it will work not work work not work then one day not work. Pain in the a** but we are ordering new circuit breakers for our boat as I think they will all be fatigued.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a 2001 Sunsetter vlx and have had the same issue with the gauges working intermittently and now nothing at all. Boat still runs perfect and we have our one and only 1 week waterski vacation starting this friday 7-17-20. I don't want to take a chance on frying anything but I did test the purple and red/white fuseable links and they are working normal. I also ran a jumper wire with a 2 amp fuse to the (fused or relay, not the constant +12v) side of all of the circuit breakers( don't have the wiring daigram to tell which orange wire is for the gauges) and none of the gauges moved. They are in fact stuck at the normal operating temps and levels. They did not return to zero.  Any more helpful info would be appreciated. Where can I get a wiring daigram for the 2001 sunsetter vlx with the medallion gauges?

Thank you.

• 3 years later...