Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer Jack Maintenance?

UWSkier

I have a Fulton F2 jack with twin wheels and a foot brake on my trailer.  It's a really nice jack except for the fact that the caster swivel action of the wheels doesn't seem to work.  Rather than spinning to align with the direction the trailer is being pushed, they'll just slide and chatter across the garage floor.

I've never taken one of these apart.  Is there a part down there that needs to be lubricated?  Bushing to be replaced?  Or is this a throwaway item?

35 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Contact Fulton direct.  I needed some parts for mine and they shipped them FREE!

Already done but since it was after hours their time, figured I'd ask the throbbing brain of the 'crew.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on this.  There's a single bolt protruding from the bottom of the jack housing that holds the caster assembly.  The whole thing is held on by a nyloc nut and washer.  I pulled this off and put a thin film of dry teflon bike chain lubricant on the bushings and delrin disks that make up the caster assembly.  There are no ball bearings.  Good as new.

If anyone else is looking to do this, it's easy.  Just be very careful when reassembling to ensure you don't push the bolt up into the jack assembly.  Imagine fishing that out would be a pain.

Edited by UWSkier