Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacing 4way flat tow harness to 7way on 2016 Toyota Highlander

patywatkins

I need help! I need to replace the factory 4way flat tow harness on my 2016 Toyota Highlander XLE to a 7way round (which Toyota does not offer) to power the electric brakes on  my new travel trailer. I purchased the harness recommended by e-trailer.com but before I install has anyone out there done this switch and can you advise on the results. Any info is much appreciated!

I have not used this product before, but I have ordered multiple vehicle specific hitches and vehicle specific wiring harnesses from etrailer.  Every application the instructions have been perfect and almost to the T on timing of how long one of their projects should take.  I glanced at the instruction on etrailer for yours and they don't look to terrible if you have some mechanic/wiring experience.  More involved than some of their products but not awful.   

Thankyou for your reply.  My concern is spicing into the brake wire and overloading my vehicles electrical or locking up the brakes. I'm planning on taking to a shop and having a mechanic do the replacement. Any thoughts or advice?

If you're talking about a reverse brake lockout (for surge brakes) which works off the backup light.  You should be able to use a 5 flat - or the 7 round.  Best to install a reverse wire relay so the trucks computer does not sense a too high current draw.  Get one that protects itself against shorts.

If you're travel trailer has electric brakes, it's not just a simple switch.  That requires more wiring and should probably be done by a pro.

You need to have a brake controller installed in the tow vehicle to set the proper gains. Those trailer brakes aren't on/off but based on tow vehicle brake pedal position.

'07 Scamp 13. It is 1200 - 1500 lbs. But it has electric brakes because the previous owner was towing with a smaller vehicle.

I did order etrailer 7pin round replacement harness and the recommended brake controller.

My concern is splicing into the brake wire of the Highlander and overloading the onboard electronics. I did find a highly recommended tech to do the replacement of the harness.

Minnmarker - thanks for the advise on the reverse wire relay. Any other tips before I take the Highlader in will be most appreciated.

Many Thanks to all!

Patty

4 hours ago, patywatkins said:

'07 Scamp 13. It is 1200 - 1500 lbs. But it has electric brakes because the previous owner was towing with a smaller vehicle.

I did order etrailer 7pin round replacement harness and the recommended brake controller.

My concern is splicing into the brake wire of the Highlander and overloading the onboard electronics. I did find a highly recommended tech to do the replacement of the harness.

Minnmarker - thanks for the advise on the reverse wire relay. Any other tips before I take the Highlader in will be most appreciated.

Many Thanks to all!

Patty

1200-1500 lbs should not require trailer brakes at all - even on a highlander.  Not sure I'd bother trying to rig up a trailer brake controller in something like a highlander where I doubt there is a harness that you could buy to do the job.