Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Radar ski help Senate C vs Strada

goodmatt78

So,  I am returning to slalom and loving it, but am still quite new to the course.  I am working on -15 at 30-32.   I have found good deals on 09 Senate C and 12 Strada.   Is the Strada too much ski?   I want a good ski to grow into, but am sticking with the used market.

Thanks.

At that speed and length, go with the Senate C.  That will take you well into shorter lengths at 34 MPH and be more forgiving.  The Strada requires you to be very precise in your movements and is really designed to ride higher in the water at higher speeds than you're running.

On the Senate, newer is better if you can find one.  The '15 and '16 Senates are based on the original Vapor, which was a great ski.  The '17 and '18 is based on the second generation Vapor, which is what I ride and love.  The '19 is based on the current generation Vapor and is the best of the bunch.  Each one is an improvement over the last.  Still though, the original Senate C is no slouch.

3 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

At that speed and length, go with the Senate C.  That will take you well into shorter lengths at 34 MPH and be more forgiving.  The Strada requires you to be very precise in your movements and is really designed to ride higher in the water at higher speeds than you're running.

On the Senate, newer is better if you can find one.  The '15 and '16 Senates are based on the original Vapor, which was a great ski.  The '17 and '18 is based on the second generation Vapor, which is what I ride and love.  The '19 is based on the current generation Vapor and is the best of the bunch.  Each one is an improvement over the last.  Still though, the original Senate C is no slouch.

I agree with everything here.

Agree on the above comments.  Any year Senate is my #1 recommendation for a skier at your level.  The Senate is slightly wider than the Strada, which makes it better for slower speeds and is more forgiving.  The Senate C is the carbon version of the Senate, which makes it stiffer and faster than the regular Senate, but still retains the forgiving nature of the regular Senate.  Also, I would offer less than $200 IMO for a 9 year old ski.  The Strada wouldn't be a bad choice either, as I've found it to be an easy ski to ride, but the Senate is more appropriate at 30-32 mph.

Edited by Brodie

I had an 09 senate and now have a 16 graphite senate which is basically the same thing as the Senate C. The newer shapes are more forgiving, and they seem to keep getting better and better. My graphite senate is stiffer and lighter, but it honestly seems more forgiving than my older ski. If i'm too far forward or back after finishing a turn, it tends to auto-level me and get me back into the sweet spot of the ski to carry more speed and angle into the next turn. Does that price include bindings? If not, I don't think that's a heck of a deal. If you don't want to spend much on a ski, then maybe that's the way to go. There's my 2 cents.

You guys recommend rear toe plate or boot?

7 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Agree on the above comments.  Any year Senate is my #1 recommendation for a skier at your level.  The Senate is slightly wider than the Strada, which makes it better for slower speeds and is more forgiving.  The Senate C is the carbon version of the Senate, which makes it stiffer and faster than the regular Senate, but still retains the forgiving nature of the regular Senate.  Also, I would offer less than $200 IMO for a 9 year old ski.  The Strada wouldn't be a bad choice either, as I've found it to be an easy ski to ride.

Is the 2012 Strada too much ski and am I giving up forgiveness?   Will I notice a difference between the 2 skis?

5 minutes ago, goodmatt78 said:

You guys recommend rear toe plate or boot?

Is the 2012 Strada too much ski and am I giving up forgiveness?   Will I notice a difference between the 2 skis?

Recommend not changing boots and ski at same time if you can help it.  Also recommend sticking with what you're most comfortable with.  I ski with double boots because I find it's less likely to end up with me in a one-leg-in, one-leg-out crash, which is a recipe for torn ligaments.

Strada is a 36 MPH ski.  If you're going for a Strada, you should size up from what the weight chart recommends, but then when you do get to faster speeds, you're going to be on a ski that's too big.  Senate will take you from 30-34 without needing to size up.  Senate's wider design will be more forgiving with a wider sweet spot.  Strada skis best with a lot of weight on your front foot through the turn, which is really how you should be skiing but is very hard to do.

Edited by UWSkier

Good info.   This will be my first real ski, so i am a blank slate as to double boot vs tp.   I mostly wakeboard on my VLX.  My neighbor got a MC 197 and I have borrowed his OLD slalom and I am hooked.  :-)   I just want a decent ski to progress on.

7 minutes ago, goodmatt78 said:

Anyone know if the new radar feather frame bindings will mount to a 2009 senate?

I'm not sure, but just give them a call.

I have always found them to be very responsive and helpful.