Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How tall should guide poles be?

Aerokj24

I recently purchased a malibu and the trailer guide poles are black and seem really short to me. I purchased new White pvc pipe and caps. My question how long should I make the guide poles?

2 hours ago, Aerokj24 said:

I recently purchased a malibu and the trailer guide poles are black and seem really short to me. I purchased new White pvc pipe and caps. My question how long should I make the guide poles?

I used Flexible PVC for the guide posts with caps on end.  The flexible PVC comes in Black and is soft when put to the test.

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

The guide poles should stick up above the rub rails.  The PVC that the covers sit on will float up and extend the guide poles if you back in far enough

I drilled a small hole near the top of mine so they WOULDN'T float up.

22 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Well, it has worked for 20 years...  The PVC goes up but slowly recedes as the air escapes.

Im not understanding what you are trying to accomplish.  The pvc is supposed to float when in water so tgat the guide posts stay up above water when you pull trailer out of water it drops back down.   What is the point of having them sink slowly while in water? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2018 at 6:25 PM, Eagleboy99 said:

The idea is to stop them rising too quickly.

Do you have extra super buoyant guide posts that just fly off and hit someone in the eye every time you back the trailer into the water?  Who cares if they go from non-floating to fully floating in 2ms?

9 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Do you have extra super buoyant guide posts that just fly off and hit someone in the eye every time you back the trailer into the water?  Who cares if they go from non-floating to fully floating in 2ms?

On steep ramps they can float off the poles.  Chasing them down while loading/unloading is no fun.  

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 4:31 AM, vanamp said:

On steep ramps they can float off the poles.  Chasing them down while loading/unloading is no fun.  

How deep is the back of your trailer that they could actually float off? on my trailer it would need to be about 5ft down, which is wayyy to deep

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

How deep is the back of your trailer that they could actually float off? on my trailer it would need to be about 5ft down, which is wayyy to deep

Doesn't happen frequently but when water is choppy and trailer bounces a bit on the way into the water they would pop off.

My ramp is really steep though.  I have to power load. if i drop trailer in deeper the bow roller is above the nose of the boat because of the angle.

Edited by vanamp