Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wet Sounds Pro 80 Surrounds

KHenn

Hello,

I have a set of Wet Sounds pro 80 tower speakers and both of the surrounds have torn.  I reached out to Wet Sounds, but they said this is an older model speaker and they do not sell parts.  Has anyone had any luck finding something that will work from a 3rd party?  This seems like a relatively cheap and easy fix versus Wet Sounds option of buying new tower speakers.

Thanks

Yeah it's too bad they don't offer parts for them anymore.  I'm not a big audio guy and I have no idea when they quit making the pro 80s, but I can't imagine it was too long ago.  Maybe I'm just used to other things in life being serviceable even after they aren't in production anymore.  

9 hours ago, KHenn said:

I have no idea when they quit making the pro 80s,

The Rev series rolled out in spring of 2011 IIRC. I imagine the remaining inventory of Pro speakers would have been sold off shortly after the release of the new series. They did keep replacement parts on hand for the pro series and MB8 for a number of years. I know they had MB parts in stock in 2014. 

Check with suppliers like Simply Speakers, and there are countless others, that sell replacement surround kits. Get Butyl rubber versus foam in this case. They have instructional videos that show step by step how to re-do the surrounds and keep the voice coils centered in the process. You only have to be a decent mechanic to do this yourself. Or, there are plenty of speaker rebuilders that service the prosound industry and do countless rebuilds every day.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/18/2018 at 10:00 AM, CLTMalibu08 said:

I repaired the surrounds on my 4 Pro60s with speaker surround kits from Simplyspeakers.com

I know this thread is a few years old but do you recall what kit you bought? Did it work well?