Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trying to determine pre 2004 LSV hull type-diamond

Pauliep

Hey gang, I am a former 2001 Sunsetter LXI owner and recreational skier guy that enjoys slalom, wakeboard, surfing, barefoot and even tubing. Not ready to,fully compromise on the slalom wake. Ready to join back up to a Malibu, but now with a family. I have been looking at a few v drives in the 2004 and older range for the lighter weight (Slalom wake benefit) . I am having a challenge ensureing diamond hull or not. I see some with a slight down turn on out edge, but doesn’t seem as drastic as the ‘01 LXI had. Curious if the wake hull has any bit of downward turn on outside corners. Also,  is there a difference in the first chine in, having a downward turn on it’s outer edge. I have searched for side by side comparison, but don’t seem to see exact year and model to ensure. 

I guess the bottom line is, I want the diamond hull and some are clueless to the existence of such. This requires me to be the educated buyer.   Sorry to beat a many form topic blog to death, but I am not seeing definitive answers if these are slight verbatim s of the hulls based on boat model and size. The boats I am considering is a 23LSV or 21LSV 2004 and older

kinds regards

If you get a 21 LSV it will have the diamond hull 99% of the time.  Very few of those were made with wake hulls.  If you're looking at Wakesetter VLX from that era, then yeah, you need to look at the outer chines for a down-turn.  It's pretty substantial.  The wake hull is a bit more flat.

23 LSV will be on the V25, not the SV23 hull.  Won't ski as well.  That '01-04 run of 21' V drives on diamond hulls Malibu made is still about the best there is for V-drive slalom.

Thanks gang. I had seen those two photos, but found the two different angles, the wake hull appeared to have a slight downward turn as well.  Knowing specs and standard hulls sure helps. I’ did spend some time on the resources section.  

• Like 1

So I am sold on the v drive 2004 and older for lower weight. I have two that I am serious about, an 03 wakesetter 23LSv  with diamond hull comes in at 3,550 lbs dry vs 04 wakesetter 21vls wake hull at ,3,000 lbs, it is not easy to ski both as the are both 6 hours away. I’d like feedback on a wake hull 500 light vs diamond hull at 30 mph or higher slalom speeds. 

In my opinion, both seem to turn down but the diamond is a bigger more pronounced turn down. I think that is what confuses a lot of people. I chose a 21 foot diamond v drive when looking based upon lots of feedback here. I like to free ski open water.

My 21LSV with diamond has a very nice ski wake for aggressive open water slalom at 34+ and we surf with a good medium wave after filling 4 bags - all of which are in lockers or under seats.  Gates too.

Very pleased.

I have a 2002 VLX with Diamond hull(it's a 21 LSV in disguise) that I just posted in the classifieds.  I am in MN if that helps.  FWIW, the ski wake sucks compared to a SSLXI......it's not even in the same ballpark.

My vlx.jpg

Edited by Brodie

Anyone have experience at slalom speeds behind a 2002/2003 sunsetter 23 XTI with diamond hull? Would this be between 21v drive and 21 LXI for wake size and quality?

44 minutes ago, Brodie said:

I have a 2002 VLX with Diamond hull(it's a 21 LSV in disguise) that will be up for sale very soon.  I am in MN if that helps.  FWIW, the ski wake sucks compared to a SSLXI......it's not even in the same ballpark.

My vlx.jpg

To be fair, if you don't overload it with people and crap, it's a pretty good wake at 28 off and shorter at grown men's speeds.  If you're pulling women at 15 off at 28 and 30 MPH I agree completely.  No comparison.

2 minutes ago, Pauliep said:

Anyone have experience at slalom speeds behind a 2002/2003 sunsetter 23 XTI with diamond hull? Would this be between 21v drive and 21 LXI for wake size and quality?

skied one of those a LONG time ago.  I thought the 21 foot V drive had a better wake personally.  If the XTi layout is something you're possibly interested in, they made a 21' version on the diamond hull that would ski very similarly to your old LXi.

1 minute ago, UWSkier said:

To be fair, if you don't overload it with people and crap, it's a pretty good wake at 28 off and shorter at grown men's speeds.  If you're pulling women at 15 off at 28 and 30 MPH I agree completely.  No comparison.

Yes, at 36 MPH and 28-32' off it is decent.

Uws,DIR, the XTI is not my favorite layout, but thinking it on a diamond hull and mid engine would  give best wake for a non slalom specific and give a ,OT of versatility for wake board, surf, and other towables. I know I have to live with not so great of a slalom wake, just trying to minimize the “damage”. I am just an open water slalom that likes to cut all wth way through. But have kids and wife now to consider their fun. 

30 minutes ago, Pauliep said:

Uws,DIR, the XTI is not my favorite layout, but thinking it on a diamond hull and mid engine would  give best wake for a non slalom specific and give a ,OT of versatility for wake board, surf, and other towables. I know I have to live with not so great of a slalom wake, just trying to minimize the “damage”. I am just an open water slalom that likes to cut all wth way through. But have kids and wife now to consider their fun. 

I was in the same situation as you are now except I was skiing behind a Prostar 190 at the time.  Slalom, kids, etc.  Currently very happy skiing and (mostly) surfing behind my 2005 21LSV (VLX with diamond hull and no built in ballast).  By the way, for that era, I think the lack of built in ballast is an advantage.  Makes it easier to put in big enough bags for surfing.

Prediction: You'll be skiing less anyway.

• 6 months later...
On 9/17/2018 at 1:36 PM, MalibuNation said:

this is helpful to a an extent BUT i see my 2004 VLX has whats looks to be flat from where it sits in bunk out to the edge like the Wakehull descroion HOWEVER it also has an area that looks like its scooped out just above the bottom  waterline where her circles are and runs the length of the boat.its not the very underneath but it has to make a difference given its under water..or not??? i wish i can directly upload pics as 3rd party is tough..its called an SV23 hull i believe but they still came in wake and diamond in 2004 didnt they?

Hey Bill, What does the very back of the hull look like at the Transom looking from the rear? Straight its a wake hull, if it turns down slightly, it's a Diamond. You can also call Malibu with the HID # and they will confirm.

11 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Hey Bill, What does the very back of the hull look like at the Transom looking from the rear? Straight its a wake hull, if it turns down slightly, it's a Diamond. You can also call Malibu with the HID # and they will confirm.

is this Ronnie? we are friends on FB and over at Malibu FB i can post there but this is a tough one as my hull both goes out flat but has that little cutout or CHINE maybe one would call it..

i linked to Wakeworld thread i just posted a picture..

http://wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1987780#post1987780

I’ve circled the area you should be looking at. If the bottom of the hull is flat, it’s wake. If the bottom of the hull turns down slightly, it’s diamond. 

Like I said over there. Call Malibu with your HID and they’ll give you the info if you’re still unsure. 

08DDBE78-2E5B-4837-AF17-F845F651104B.jpeg