Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Opinions on Dock Personnel driving my boat.

Malibuckeye

3 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Do y'all realize that back in the old days, there were only 4 different key patterns used?  

Car keys are duplicates as well... and if you own a EZ Go golfcart.. they are all the same key...

Been down these roads with caterpillar equipment. I once Had a contractor on same job I was on once. Caught them using my 330 cat excavator. They claimed my company said could borrow it. I asked who in the company. They replied owner, to which I replied that’s odd cause I’m the owner.  Needless to say I charged them 165 an hour for 6 hrs rent. Since they put 6 hrs on the meter. All cat equipment use same key.  

So I guess op could hold boat use out of payment? 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, spikew919 said:

Been down these roads with caterpillar equipment. I once Had a contractor on same job I was on once. Caught them using my 330 cat excavator. They claimed my company said could borrow it. I asked who in the company. They replied owner, to which I replied that’s odd cause I’m the owner.  Needless to say I charged them 165 an hour for 6 hrs rent. Since they put 6 hrs on the meter. All cat equipment use same key.  

I like your thinking!  <insert evil grin here>   Up here you are looking at a  grand a day for boat rental.

I would be super angry.  Having said that our local ski club removes and installs boat lifts as a a fundraiser.  We are a 501c3, everyone who participates in the fundraiser is a volunteer.  Good business for the club and the best fundraiser we have ever done.  Going on 10 years now.

Customers know approximately when we are coming to install, remove or adjust their docks and lifts.  We encourage them strongly to be present but their are times when they cannot be.  If some action we do requires that we move a boat from a lift or dock the boat is never started.  Being a club of skiers we know the value of boats and completely understand that all boats are special and need to be treated with respect.  We will move to another dock with a rope or moved just away from the dock and anchored in close proximity.  Again, there is never a good reason to start a boat.  Never.  If we have to get into a boat, being boat owners, it is always shoes off, and extreme care is required.  If we do have to move one we always tell the owner what we have done and why.

Some of the companies who do this work do obviously on a seasonal basis, they hire local workers, pay them as little as they can and rarely is the owner of the company present.  Finding seasonal workers means you sometimes don't always get the best quality workers.  They have free range not only over boats and docks but also nothing preventing them from scoping the house and property.  Questionable things can follow.  

I don't mean to diminish ALL of these companies but a lot of them are pretty sketchy, some are awesome and do a good job.  The sketchy ones have generated a tremendous amount of business for us.

While there probably isn't much you can do about this I would never have them do this work again.

21 hours ago, spikew919 said:

Nah man it’s your fault you should have never put your piece of construction equipment in that position on a construction site like that.  You def share some responsibility.  🙄🙄

On 9/18/2018 at 1:37 PM, spikew919 said:

If CAT is the same as my old Case 580 backhoe, same key across them all (also worked in the skid steer), or just use a flat head screwdriver.

22 minutes ago, DAI said:

If CAT is the same as my old Case 580 backhoe, same key across them all (also worked in the skid steer), or just use a flat head screwdriver.

Yep cat keys are the same across all of them. Except the old models prolly pre 80’s. Didn’t even have a key. Just a master switch. John Deere is only one that has a small equipment key and a separate large equipment key. Funny thing is the large key also fits Hitachi excavators. If that tells you where John Deere is actually made 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Hope that don’t offend the John Deere fanboys. 😂😂

• Like 1

My last boat was so easily jumped over using a paper clip that when the key switch died, I replaced it with a switch and push button, NASCAR style. No need for a key.

• Like 2
On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:35 PM, rakr said:

I would wonder it there is a way to see if they hammered on it while it was out of view.

With the DIACOM software and my 2012 VTX, you can see the # of hours spent in various RPM zones.  Before getting to that point would be to look at the basic hour meter and see if had increased more than a tenth of an hour.

On 9/20/2018 at 8:31 PM, spikew919 said:

Yep cat keys are the same across all of them. Except the old models prolly pre 80’s. Didn’t even have a key. Just a master switch. John Deere is only one that has a small equipment key and a separate large equipment key. Funny thing is the large key also fits Hitachi excavators. If that tells you where John Deere is actually made 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Hope that don’t offend the John Deere fanboys. 😂😂

When I was 13 I actually started and drove a large front end loader that was at a jobsite on the weekend, keys were in it.  Just climbed in and fired it up, started moving levers and stuff around.  My buddies were running and freaking out and I was scooping up sand, thinking how far I can see down the road with plenty of time to bail if I see a patrol car.  All that stuff should be keypads for starting now (& collecting data), the technology is so simple.

• Like 2

Cobalts still use only 4 keys.

We move boats for a variety of reasons. We make an effort to contact the customer if possible. But it's pretty common that they don't answer or we have no number/wrong number on file. And with the current in the river, especially in the spring, it's not always easy, or even possible, to move the boat by hand.

On 9/24/2018 at 11:57 AM, Michigan boarder said:

When I was 13 I actually started and drove a large front end loader that was at a jobsite on the weekend, keys were in it.  Just climbed in and fired it up, started moving levers and stuff around.  My buddies were running and freaking out and I was scooping up sand, thinking how far I can see down the road with plenty of time to bail if I see a patrol car.  All that stuff should be keypads for starting now (& collecting data), the technology is so simple.

My Dad bought a skidsteer(track) and there was no key. Only a keypad. But you can get the default codes from manual.  I reset our defaults, but a crook could call any dealer and get a temp pin to start the machine.

Edited by carguy79ta

As long as the boat was left in the same condition it was found in (ie no mud tracked in it), I wouldn't have a problem with the company moving my boat.  However I would have a really big problem with them resetting my system to bypass the security.  That clearly crosses a line - similar to picking a lock to gain entry into a restricted area.  No bueno on that.  Because this is in fact what they did, I would be very upset in this situation.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, sic0048 said:

As long as the boat was left in the same condition it was found in (ie no mud tracked in it), I wouldn't have a problem with the company moving my boat.  However I would have a really big problem with them resetting my system to bypass the security.  That clearly crosses a line - similar to picking a lock to gain entry into a restricted area.  No bueno on that.  Because this is in fact what they did, I would be very upset in this situation.

Basically this for me as well.  If there is more than 1/10 of an hr on the clock or the fact they factory reset your boat to get around security would rub me the wrong way.  If they used the key or there was really a master code I wouldn’t care too much as long as they didn’t dirty it up or cause any damage

Anyone can reset the code and this is why I switch the battery off and lock the compartment. Now if someone really wanted to steal the boat the could pry the door open but at least it’s protection from the common person wanting to move it or take it for joy ride. 

• Like 1