Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Opinions on Dock Personnel driving my boat.

Malibuckeye

When it comes to dock and lift workers, any interaction will be an adventure.  If the job was done at the agreed upon price and quality was accepatble you are miles ahead of everyone else.

All your arguments are valid but for whatever reason dealing with dock and lift guys is like the wild west. If things worked out well just move on because you probably won't even get a return phone call till spring. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, COOP said:

I have inquired with Malibu about this. There is no master code. 

On the older touch screens you were able to do a factory reset without a code to reset the start code to 1234. I dont think it works on the 2015+ boats, Im pretty sure it asks for a code to confirm the change. Now, if the key was left in, you can start it with the key and no code.

Can’t dealers somehow reset the code?  

And I would be beyond pissed if that happened to me.  It would be borderline acceptable if they floated it off and back on to do their work, but that is it. 

I started thinking about this from the workers point of view.  There's no way I'm getting in someone else's boat, putting in a magic start code, and driving off.  There better be some sort of medical emergency before I'd consider doing something like that.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, MadMan said:

I started thinking about this from the workers point of view.  There's no way I'm getting in someone else's boat, putting in a magic start code, and driving off.  There better be some sort of medical emergency before I'd consider doing something like that.

meth tends to delete completely any need for cause and effect analysis 

Edited by Bozboat
  • Like 2

I'm kinda meh on this.  Yeah it's annoying and yeah, you should say something, but in the end what's the harm?  There could have been harm, yes.  In which case they sure better be making good on it.  But here....?

Unless your trailer has a "you toucha my boat, I breaka you face" bumper sticker.  In which case they were on notice.

It’s an “engine start” code. Not a computer start code. Turn it on. Settings. Reset to factory defaults. Tada. Your code is gone back to stock. Someone clever could put all the other settings back where they were except the BLE. If they did do that then it’s pretty courteous of them other things aside.

I’m insured. So I’d let them do their job, but Discuss with their boss politely how the insurance company would see things if anything had gone wrong. They don’t want that. 

Ummmm... seriously guys... have you seen most of the people in the industry performing the work? I mean they are mostly ex-cons I think they could easily hijack any of your boats without much effort..

I thought the master code was 1...2...3...4...? Wait someone change my luggage password! (Space balls the movie)

Edited by The Hulk
2 hours ago, Slurpee said:

It’s an “engine start” code. Not a computer start code. Turn it on. Settings. Reset to factory defaults. Tada. Your code is gone back to stock. Someone clever could put all the other settings back where they were except the BLE. If they did do that then it’s pretty courteous of them other things aside.

I’m insured. So I’d let them do their job, but Discuss with their boss politely how the insurance company would see things if anything had gone wrong. They don’t want that. 

Exactly, never did like how anyone could do this on my 15 and take my boat. Kind of a design flaw. 

4 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Pretty common for a dealer to drive a customer's boat for several reasons. And not uncommon at all to reset the code to stock of necessary. It's easily changed anyway so no harm done.

A boat dealer yes... but I’ve most likely taken to them for service or paid them to come to my house for service. That isn’t this case. The OP’s dock guy moved drove it. 

• Like 1

I've done docks & lifts as part of our ski team, for fundraising.  There is no way we would start up someone's boat, and it's actually easier and quicker to just float it off and tie off to something.  It really doesn't make sense, unless there was some barrier (current?  too deep?) that would prevent it from being handled floating and not under power.

I hired some dock guys to install my lift at a marina a few years ago.  They showed up 45 minutes late, said they got held up at another job.  As I'm talking to the main guy he reeks like beer.  I just laughed and said "dude, don't BS me, I can smell the beer.  It's not a big deal.  Do you at least have a couple more in the truck?"  He admitted to a local stop, and yes offered me one, which I accepted and we moved on with the job.  They disappeared the next year.

• Like 3

I could certainly see someone resetting the code and not telling the owner. Then the owner gets to the dock to fire up the boat for the weekend, and their code doesn't start the boat... then you call the dealership and it takes 65 days and as many phone calls to figure out what happened. I realize there is a key, but to me, that's a bit beside the point.

My largest frustration with marine/auto dealerships, or just about any service industry for that matter, is the lack of communication, both on the front end and addressing any lingering issues. it would be nice to get a call once and while. Generally all great folks, and for the most part they do good work, but I think my 4 year old would do a better job following up and keeping customers in the loop.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Can’t dealers somehow reset the code?  

And I would be beyond pissed if that happened to me.  It would be borderline acceptable if they floated it off and back on to do their work, but that is it. 

The old systems yes. It was easy, if you reset the computer to factory settings it would reset the code.

But the new systems you need the code to reset to factory settings.

11 hours ago, Slurpee said:

I was pretty sure that you need the code to do this on newer boats. But now I feel I need to check myself. I will report back.

8 minutes ago, COOP said:

I was pretty sure that you need the code to do this on newer boats. But now I feel I need to check myself. I will report back.

Could be.  On a 2016 I can just do a factory reset.  They tweak the system every year so it'll be interesting to see the changes over the years if folks want to try it out.  I personally just disable the thing and don't bother with it.

Edited by Slurpee

The only person I would be upset with is myself for allowing my boat to be put in that situation. I would of taken my boat out of the water if it had any chance of being moved by someone other than me. They just did what they thought was right with the directions you provided is the way I'm taking it.  

That being said they shouldn't of moved your boat and re-programmed it without your knowledge. 

It sounds like a bunch of bad on both sides. 

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, COOP said:

So I did confirm, you can reset the code when resetting the system. I will talk to Malibu about this loophole.

It would make sense to require the key in the ignition in order to reset the code.

1 hour ago, malibu2004 said:

The only person I would be upset with is myself for allowing my boat to be put in that situation. I would of taken my boat out of the water if it had any chance of being moved by someone other than me. They just did what they thought was right with the directions you provided is the way I'm taking it.  

That being said they shouldn't of moved your boat and re-programmed it without your knowledge. 

It sounds like a bunch of bad on both sides. 

Seriously?

His post stated he did not want his lift moved.  They misunderstood and moved his lift thus moving his boat.  No reason for them to even touch his boat LET ALONE drive it. 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Cazan said:

Seriously?

His post stated he did not want his lift moved.  They misunderstood and moved his lift thus moving his boat.  No reason for them to even touch his boat LET ALONE drive it. 

Yep, evidently they had a miss understanding and he's partly responsible for that. Not moving a lift verse moving a lift is a pretty big deal. Something got dropped in the conversation. Both parties are to blame for that. 

• Like 3