Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Opinions on Dock Personnel driving my boat.

Malibuckeye

Looking to see how others would feel about this situation.  My wife and I ordered another section of dock to extend ours.  We didn't want our lift moved back but somehow that wasn't understood and the dock people moved it.  

The issue is my 1 week old malibu was on the lift.  I have a camera overlooking my back yard and I saw the boat being moved out of the lift.  Upon looking at it closer, I noticed it was being driven!  There were no keys in it, and there's a code in place on the starter.  The boat was moved out of camera view for an hour or so and then driven back.  

I went to the dock guy telling him I was pretty upset, and wondering how in the world they started the boat.  His response was that they had a "Master code" for Malibu boats and the guy moving it worked for Malibu for years and blah blah blah.  

He was shocked I was upset by this, he said in 15 years this is the first time anyone has complained about their boat being moved.  Understand this boat at the time had like 11 hours on it.  And when I got to the boat that night my code was removed and the boat was just able to be started without a code.  

So, am I nuts to be upset?  and are these boats that easy to steal?  I'm a little fanatic about keeping my stuff nice, so just knowing someone else was moving it around and tying it up at a neighbors dock really bugs me.

Thanks for reading.

Yup!  You have a right to be pissed.  And FWIW I think the dock guys are running a janky business - I mean, why would they want to be on the hook for damages?  I would also talk to Malibu and ask them WTF some  d-bag has a master code?

• Like 2

Not at all, you should be upset.  They could have called to ask permission... enough said.  Let them politely know that a courtesy call shoul,d have been made and you don't move someone's property without prior permission, whether it be a boat, car or whatever.  Unprofessional IMHO. 

I wouldn't be happy.  I would talk to your dealer and/or malibu and get confirmation as to whether there is truly a master code.  I am amazed at how many owners keep the default code from Malibu (not saying that you did).  To me, that's the first thing I'm adjusting on new boat.  I'm really curious to know if a master exists.

^^^  THIS is why I am always at the lake when there is something to be done.  Like Ronnie Regan used to say "Trust, but verify".  (Note there is one exception:  my construction buddy who has a key to my place.  The guy is almost too good to be true and keeps an eye on the place for me.  And if I ask him to do something it turns out 110% perfect.  Everyone else.... I bird-dog them)

and isn't that still under the "break-in period". not to go to extremes, but who knows if they "Ferris Buhlered" it... I would wonder it there is a way to see if they hammered on it while it was out of view.

Edited by rakr

No, you are not nuts for being upset.  I’d be FURIOUS if someone drove my boat without my permission and mine is a 2000 with 730 hours! Absolutely unacceptable.  Nothing happens without my knowledge. Period. 

My lift sank and I waited all summer to get my lift adjusted.  My boat was not com lifted up out of the water all summer.  My local Pier Place finally came and adjusted mine on Friday.  Not a good idea but they informed me at the last minute that they were coming to do the job.  I told them they could move the boat to my neighbors pier.  I was under the understanding this is to be done by hand or pulled over with a rope.  Got to the lake on Saturday and I immediately could tell they had removed the cover from the boat.  The back zippers that cover the ratchet does not zip properly (should be fixed under warranty).  As I started removing the cover I also noticed right away muddy foot prints all over my seats.  The pier company I used in Southwest Michigan is terrible.  You definitely have a right to be PO'ed.  Problem is, there are not a lot of options when dealing with dock/lift people and they seem to not really care.  They tied my boat to my neighbors pier and my neighbor said his pier was filthy from them getting in and out of the water and dragging mud all over it.

8 minutes ago, asp13 said:

I don't see it being that big of a deal personally. They should have given you a heads up, but as long as the person was qualified I don't see it being a problem at all

Qualified.  As if...  :(  So now what happens if a problem arises?  WHo is at fault?

I would be pissed.  Too many things that could go wrong and then the blame comes right back on you.

It is a little bothersome that they even went and removed the start up code from your boat....even if there was a master code it should not do that.  Plus, how do you know that the person who drove the boat used to work for Malibu.  End of the day, it happened and in the future I would make sure to be there for any work done.

IIRC when Correct Craft first came out with there non-coded push button start, a ski partner of mine hard-wired a hidden switch to prevent exactly such things like the OP describes.  Might not be a bad idea here.

1 hour ago, rakr said:

and isn't that still under the "break-in period". not to go to extremes, but who knows if they "Ferris Buhlered" it... I would wonder it there is a way to see if they hammered on it while it was out of view.

Does this really still exist? ^^^

I'd be scorching hot.  I'd do everything in my power to have him fired.  If he's the owner, I'd do everything I could to make sure he no longer worked on my dock nor anyone else I could interact with.  It would not end well for anyone (maybe even me).  Furthermore, I'm going to check with my dealer about this "Master Code".  I get the feeling it was more of a factory reset than a trapdoor type code.  Either way, this would not be cool at all with me.  Someone starting & operating my boat without my consent would bring fire & brimstone upon themselves.

Dave  

If this happened to us, i would be hoping they would set bail for my wife. She would be off the hook, and out for blood.

Personally, nobody goes near our boats without supervision, for any reason.

I would have my attorney immediatly visit this dock place. 

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

There is a master 4 digit code?  That is what I'd be concerned about

I have inquired with Malibu about this. There is no master code. 

On the older touch screens you were able to do a factory reset without a code to reset the start code to 1234. I dont think it works on the 2015+ boats, Im pretty sure it asks for a code to confirm the change. Now, if the key was left in, you can start it with the key and no code.

I would straight up lose my dang mind. Granted I never have kept my boat in a marina where this would ever happen. So many things could go wrong with someone else driving a boat. 

But in your case you asked them to move it.  The OP did not and even said there were no keys so how they started it is the question...and without permission to.