Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Suggestions and advice

Argonaut

Hi,

I am re-wording this a bit to see if I can find some suggestions. Looking for some buying advice...preferably from someone who owned or knows what the ride is like on a wooden boat and if not some experience with a Malibu 23 LSV.

Background: I currently have a 1964 25' wooden Lyman. This is a classic lapstrake hull with an inboard (Chevy 350 marinized). I use it for Sky Skiing (have also gone skiing, wakeboarding etc). It's big enough for my family of 3, a friends family say of 4 and water toys (inner tube, skis, and sky ski... AND it has a very comfortable ride through choppy water. I have a 7 year and would like to move to a fiberglass hull with a trailer so we can take it with us to various lakes that we go camping on... It's not practical to get a trailer and haul out/launch the Lyman.

I would like to get a boat that has a comfortable ride through chop, good for both Sky Skiing and wake surfing (I've done this on a friend's boat but the wooden boat does not work for this).

I'm looking at some well used boats with the power wedge -- say a 2005 Wakesetter 23 LSV? Seems like it is big enough to go smoothly through chop, has a power wedge for wake surfing, easy for my son to learn water skiing and then wake surfing on...

Thoughts? I am open to suggestions. I don't know the different hull types, best for wake surfing? Are there alternative boats/brands to look at?

BTW, I live in Seattle on Lake Washington , if anyone has one of these boats..I have not yet had the opportunity to ride on one...I would be happy to pay for gas (share the Sky Ski etc) to see how they ride...

Edited by Argonaut

I have a 2008 VLX that I really like. Puts up a really nice wake surfing wave when loaded down with sacs.  You will need 2 900s in rear and a 1000 on bow.  The motor in the rear is better IMO but it might not be as good for skiing.  In 2006-8 they added the electric wedge, so you don't have to manually drop it.  Also, there was a hull change in that same time period as well.

On 9/16/2018 at 12:54 PM, Argonaut said:

Hi,

I am re-wording this a bit to see if I can find some suggestions. Looking for some buying advice...preferably from someone who owned or knows what the ride is like on a wooden boat and if not some experience with a Malibu 23 LSV.

Background: I currently have a 1964 25' wooden Lyman. This is a classic lapstrake hull with an inboard (Chevy 350 marinized). I use it for Sky Skiing (have also gone skiing, wakeboarding etc). It's big enough for my family of 3, a friends family say of 4 and water toys (inner tube, skis, and sky ski... AND it has a very comfortable ride through choppy water. I have a 7 year and would like to move to a fiberglass hull with a trailer so we can take it with us to various lakes that we go camping on... It's not practical to get a trailer and haul out/launch the Lyman.

I would like to get a boat that has a comfortable ride through chop, good for both Sky Skiing and wake surfing (I've done this on a friend's boat but the wooden boat does not work for this).

I'm looking at some well used boats with the power wedge -- say a 2005 Wakesetter 23 LSV? Seems like it is big enough to go smoothly through chop, has a power wedge for wake surfing, easy for my son to learn water skiing and then wake surfing on...

Thoughts? I am open to suggestions. I don't know the different hull types, best for wake surfing? Are there alternative boats/brands to look at?

BTW, I live in Seattle on Lake Washington , if anyone has one of these boats..I have not yet had the opportunity to ride on one...I would be happy to pay for gas (share the Sky Ski etc) to see how they ride...

My dad had a 1966 century sabre woody when I was a kid.  It was shorter, around 20 ft, than your woody.  I remember it was decent in chop and a very fun and cool boat. I now own a 2011 21 VRide.  Same hull as the 2008 vlx.  I would never recommend it to someone who rides in heavy chop.  However, it does throw a nice surf wave with lots of properly placed ballast.  I run 900 total in each rear locker 580 mid ship under floor in front of full fuel tank, 750 sac on seats in bow, floating wedge down and a suckgate. I'll even run a 300 sac under my port seat if I have a light crew which slightly lists the boat and helps the regular surf side wave.  

I have seen a late model MasterCraft 25' around here that someone was using for inshore/offshore (Gulf of Mexico) duty, and it seemed to have plenty of vee at the bow to take on the big stuff.

Do you need/want a cabin?  It sounds like you are more into an offshore rig than a ski boat.  Mako, for example, made a great 23' inboard boat that might be close to what you are looking for.  They also had a cabin model.  You could jump 20 years into the future and pick up a  renovated 1984 model for a reasonable price.

Thank all of you for your thoughts. My main focus is to hydrofoil and surf. My son and I tested a 07 23 lsv last weekend and loved it! Checking out an 08 with gsa later today.

I will find upload my current boat to a domain and link it here so you can see it.

Just make sure there is plenty of ballast in the boat with the gsa.  If they are not properly loaded they are underwhelming, however when done right they are great.

Just decided to buy it :)

quick question... is the black button in the center of where the throttle pivots the shift interlock and if so how does it work? Pressing it did not seem to do anything?

• Like 2

If you press and hold that and move throttle forward into what would normally be gear, the transmission should not shift but you'll be able to rev the engine.

You should never ever need to do this though.  These boats don't need the engines revved unless you're diagnosing a potential issue or get heat out of the heater when it's cold and you're at idle.

Congratulations on the new boat!  23 LSV will be a nice compromise for watersports performance and choppy water ride.  It's not going to ride like a deep vee but it'll be alright.

7 hours ago, Argonaut said:

Just decided to buy it :)

quick question... is the black button in the center of where the throttle pivots the shift interlock and if so how does it work? Pressing it did not seem to do anything?

It should pull out not press in.   

Edited by Cazan
  • Like 1
On 9/18/2018 at 4:16 PM, Imracin68j said:

I have a 2008 VLX that I really like. Puts up a really nice wake surfing wave when loaded down with sacs.  You will need 2 900s in rear and a 1000 on bow.  The motor in the rear is better IMO but it might not be as good for skiing.  In 2006-8 they added the electric wedge, so you don't have to manually drop it.  Also, there was a hull change in that same time period as well.

All true except this boat does not do well in chop and rough water. I had one for 11 years and sold it and upgraded to a larger boat mainly because of this issue and we needed more room.

On 9/30/2018 at 12:42 AM, Cazan said:

It should pull out not press in.   

I don't recall which year it switch from pull out vs. push in.   I just saw you are in a 2000, which I know was pull out as I had one.    

7 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

I don't recall which year it switch from pull out vs. push in.   I just saw you are in a 2000, which I know was pull out as I had one.    

Right.  My buddies 06 VLX was pull out too.  I’m thinking 07 was still pull out but could be wrong. 

Well I still have the Lyman for now to handle rides on choppy water...

Two different questions ...

1) to cover the boat on a lift where it will be outdoors year round (this is Seattle so our winters are pretty mild)...

is the evolution cover the easiest on/off where there will be a fair amount of rain and then a fair amount of sun come summer?

And does it need skirts to protect the sides and transom from sun damage or not really? It came with the black Malibu cover but I am thinking the boat may need more protection  as where the cover lays on the sundeck was pretty wet... I’ve read of sun damage on the vinyl too that is possible with certain covers?

2) are the side tower racks different for the upper versus lower positions? I have the xs illusion and am looking at some used swivel racks but the seller does not know if they fit in both positions?

Edited by Argonaut