Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Overheat?

moffattra

2000 SSLxi Monsoon 325 running great all summer. Yesterday the kids, wife and novice friend skied a bunch, 32mph and slower. When I skied, 36mph, pulling pretty hard the boat hesitated at end of first pass then pulled me up and back to speed no problem but by end of pass was missing hard. Ran progressively worse until it wouldn’t even idle. 

At home, found the Perkins flush pro diaphragm out of position (maybe blocking flow). Removed it, put the garden hose directly into Raw water pump, fired right up idled smooth and revved normally. 

Could the restricted water flow make it run that bad?

disclaimer; no gauges... been running 100+ hours by religiously checking oil, water flow, and watching exhaust. 

New cap, rotor plugs in the spring, all look good. Flame arrestor a little dirty, throttle body pretty dirty, all cleaned. New fuel lines and both filters this spring. 

Are you on the original fuel pump?  Had to do mine on our 99 last year.  Cost a freaking fortune - but that was the only repair in 20 years so I cannot really complain.  Replace all the fuel filters.  FWIW your symptoms sound like what we have with the one water in fuel (surfing) incident - Seafoam and fresh gas took care of it. Ditto for the fuel pump - thing would surge and die at speed.  So I doubt waterflow is the issue.

And I am working on replacing ALL my gauges and skipping the MDC.  Stay tuned!