Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2014 MXZ 22 Surf Set Up and Wedge

adgray

I just switched from a 07 X Star to a 2014 MXZ 22 and I am looking for the best surf set up with stock ballast?  I currently have 150lbs extra in each locker but thinking about adding another 300 lbs of lead to each locker.  I sometimes add another 750 lbs of ballast to the floor in the back.  I have also read that the wedge needs to be 3/4 of the way down but the problem I am having is if the wedge is just down a little bit I am not getting up to speed,  I have it set to 11 mph but it is just getting to 10 mph and all I am getting is white wash.    If I stop and move the wedge all the way up I am finally getting to speed that is set.   I am not sure if something is wrong with the wedge or what I am doing wrong?  I know the wedge is suppose to come into play somewhere feel something is not right when I have it down even a 1/4 of the way (still wash).  

Any advice will help on how to set this up because I am learning this new boat. I reset all the setting back to factory and they have surf right and left set at 9.8mph and that seems way to slow.  

Thanks Crew

Yea you need a lot more weight up front. Fill that tank all the way and either add another bag up there or some lead. Malibu’s kinda require a lot of bow weight if you are running that much in the rear

Edited by svnfightsvn
20 minutes ago, svnfightsvn said:

Yea you need a lot more weight up front. Fill that tank all the way and either add another bag up there or some lead. Malibu’s kinda require a lot of bow weight if you are running that much in the rear

about to go play with it some and I will fill up the front.  right now I am running mostly just stock we emptied the extra 750 lb bag and anything with that damn wedge just doesn't seem to get where i need it.  any wedge advise?

Once you even the weight out more by adding to the bow, the wake should clean up, even with the wedge down. You have most of the weight in the back and once you add the wedge, youre adding even more.  The wedge isn’t a wake shaper, it’s a wake enhancer. It drags down the stern to add more displacement so if the rest of the boat isn’t weighted somewhat evenly (like 40-60 or so) the bow ends up sticking up and the running surface of the hull under the boat can’t shape up the wake

Edited by svnfightsvn

Depending on our crew for the day, we put the wedge all the way down (least amount of wedge) and bump it up (add wedge force) if necessary. 

If you have all rear weight and try to use the wedge, you are basically trying to turn your mxz into a rocket ship to the moon. It won't get to speed like that.

thanks guys I lowered the wedge all the way down,  filled all the tanks and in the rear tanks filled one side half way depending on which side we surfed on and it made a great wake.  I am probably going to add 300lbs to the front.  

Adding weight to the front should also make the wave longer giving you more area to surf. I put the wedge all the way down and anytime I tried to bring it up it would wash out the wave. By leaving it down it did seem to give the wave a cleaner look.