Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Excursion Diesel

hethj7

On 9/16/2018 at 3:14 PM, macdaddy said:

My 01 excursion has 420,000 miles and still going strong!!  Mine is kept in doors and I do my best to keep everything in working order.  No motor work at all....but I am on my 3rd transmission.... It just has over 175000 miles on it.  They will last if you take care of it and keep it updated.  Just my 2 cents!!

I have a 7.3 diesel excursion as well.   Paid for... not even thinking about getting rid of it.   

Mac:    Must-have modifications though....  

1) rear sway bar ($250) makes it drive soooo much better.    

2) Replace the tiny stock transmission cooler (99-03) that came with your 7.3 with a newer transmission cooler that came with the 6.0 diesels.    It's about 4 times the size and bolts right on.   Most of problems came from high heat....   that goes away quickly with newer cooler (can also increase pan size for more fluid capacity).   I used to have a f350 7.3 and learned this lesson.   Burned up a transmission... then rebuilt with new cooler and bigger pan, and could pull a boat through the 49 canyon, loaded down/ a heavy lance camper on the truck in the hot CA summer, and the transmission always stayed ridiculously cool after those mods.  It was the first upgrade I made when I bought my 7.3 Excursion.

I would not buy a 6.0 diesel excursion.  Even bullet proofed.   

• 9 months later...

reviving this...I have opp on a 6.0 bulletproofed owned by a family friend for last 10 years.  Can be had for 12k.  would not be daily driver, just a towing workhorse, and, well, it will be my first diesel.  YAy or ney?

18 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

reviving this...I have opp on a 6.0 bulletproofed owned by a family friend for last 10 years.  Can be had for 12k.  would not be daily driver, just a towing workhorse, and, well, it will be my first diesel.  YAy or ney?

hook your boat up to it and drive around for 50 miles or so first to decide whether you like its towing manners.  You've towed with modern half tons, and you may not be happy with the performance of the somewhat antiquated platform.

That said if it's a 4x4 with under 200,000 miles you probably wouldn't lose much on resale (at least if you have receipts for the bulleproofing).

martinarcher

I can't speak to the 6.0 as I've never owned one but the Excursion itself tows great and when you need to haul something is a cavernous beast.  I just brought home a 4 piece wicker patio set along with a matching rocker a swivel chair and ottoman in one trip.  Pretty wild.  We towed the camper back from Myrtle beach last weekend and I still love towing with it.  For a 17 year old truck it sure makes me smile.  :) 

36 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

hook your boat up to it and drive around for 50 miles or so first to decide whether you like its towing manners.  You've towed with modern half tons, and you may not be happy with the performance of the somewhat antiquated platform.

That said if it's a 4x4 with under 200,000 miles you probably wouldn't lose much on resale (at least if you have receipts for the bulleproofing).

I drove an unladen 5.4 this past weekend...it was...interesting to say the least

16 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

I drove an unladen 5.4 this past weekend...it was...interesting to say the least

sort of like a Conestoga wagon with a wimpy motor?

• Haha 1