Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Excursion Diesel

hethj7

Yes, the price is high, but did anybody actually read the description? I’m not saying I’d buy it, but between bullet proofing, body work, interior, wheel/tires, etc, there’s a lot there... the Harley Davidson badges alone are worth $5k! :rofl:

Also, @shawndoggy can tell you what it’s like to own one of these...

Edited by IXFE

at least everything that could possibly wear out isn't 14 years old.  :innocent:  You know, that stuff the seller references as "more things I know little about."

If you are familiar with owning newer vehicles (new or 3-4 years old), buying a 14 year old ANYTHING is going to be an eye opener.  Sure, lots of parts have been replaced, but after 14 years all sorts of stuff starts to wear out.  Who replaces suspension bushings or transmissions or rear end on a new(er) vehicle?  All of those items will be suspect on a 14 year old rig.

noticeably not pictured... the 14 year old driver's seat.

There's a reason this guy wants to trade for a 16 escalade.

Man, tough crowd :)   I guess I should have said that a vehicle like this piques my interest.   It certainly isn’t cheap.  And certainly I am not naive to issues with an older vehicle and/or one that has been modified.  But, clean Diesel Excursions (that are in colors I like) seem almost like unicorns as I scour the inter webs .   Newer conversions on a more modern 3/4 ton chassis run about $40K PLUS your donor vehicle!  I really don’t think that guys asking price is too far off, if the truck is as advertised upon inspection and he has records of what was replaced that he “knows nothing about”.   Would I buy it? Who knows   But if it was local, I certainly think I would go take a look   

It also looks to be lifted, which isn't going to make it any better to tow with.  

Oh, and it looks like it has a (rusty) 14 year old hitch that was rated for 5K new.  These guys will build you a 10K rated one, but it ain't cheap: https://reunel.com/service/ford/ . 

For that kind of money I'd MUCH rather have a CPO late model Expedition EL with the eco (and a warranty).  And $10k in my pocket. 

You gotta be a super ford/harley/bulletproofed 6.0 fan to see that much value in that excursion.

I guess the flaw in my thinking is the 3/4 ton excursion would handle towing weight better than an Expedition.  I hadn’t really bought about the lifted aspect of that X.  

I haven’t shopped Expeditions in a while, but that one you posted seems like a great deal. We have a 2015 with the EB and overall have been very happy with it.  

1 hour ago, hethj7 said:

I guess the flaw in my thinking is the 3/4 ton excursion would handle towing weight better than an Expedition.  I hadn’t really bought about the lifted aspect of that X.  

I haven’t shopped Expeditions in a while, but that one you posted seems like a great deal. We have a 2015 with the EB and overall have been very happy with it.  

About half our boating trips are also camping trips.  Which means we take two vehicles - my 3500 RAM pulls the RV.  My first secondary tow vehicle was a 2003 Suburban 2500 with the 8.1.  

I searched that vehicle out.  Finally found one in Portland that was lower miles (125,000).  It did a good job of towing the boat, but I didn't like it and my wife hated it.  Even if mechanically sound, an 11 year old vehicle just doesn't compare to something newer.  They rattle (a lot).  All the seats were pretty warn.  Little stuff (like heated seats and rear defrost) went out.  And was stupid expensive to fix.  Sunroof leaked.  Autoride suspension needed shocks (something like $1000).  Lots of road noise compared to newer vehicles. 

We kept the Burb a year, sold it for a couple grand more than I bought it for, and upgraded to the Yukon XL Denali that we have now.  I will admit that the 2500 did feel more stable towing than my Yukon.  But that is the only advantage it had.  I think you would feel the same way of your Expedition vs this type of Excursion.

As @shawndoggy said, if you are used to a newer vehicle, you really need the right expectations changing to something that is 10 + years old.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Bozboat said:

Didn’t @martinarcher  have an excursion diesel fitted with a five speed manual?

wonder if it’s still in service?

If it is the 7.3 with manual trans that is the combo that will go 500k miles. That engine is proof there is no replacement for displacement when it comes to longevity.

My 01 excursion has 420,000 miles and still going strong!!  Mine is kept in doors and I do my best to keep everything in working order.  No motor work at all....but I am on my 3rd transmission.... It just has over 175000 miles on it.  They will last if you take care of it and keep it updated.  Just my 2 cents!!

Not sure how they get to $43k. This is my dad's https://appleton.craigslist.org/cto/d/2005-ford-excursion-diesel/6679671443.html for $15,500. Not as blinged out. But great condition and fewer miles. I have yet to understand how Excursions can range from $3k to $43k. That said, if you want to tow and move people there is nothing like them.

3 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

If money weren't an object, I would have these guys build me an excursion off a new(er) F250.  http://www.customautosbytim.com/index.html

Unfortunately they stop the conversions at 2015/6, I believe.  

That guy is local to me here in OK. I see his trucks driving around and they look SO killer! I agree! I would have one too if I could afford it! 6 door Excursion. 

28 minutes ago, CBray4 said:

That guy is local to me here in OK. I see his trucks driving around and they look SO killer! I agree! I would have one too if I could afford it! 6 door Excursion. 

Nice cheap option.  :)

On 9/16/2018 at 1:35 PM, Bozboat said:

Didn’t @martinarcher  have an excursion diesel fitted with a five speed manual?

wonder if it’s still in service?

Yes sir!  I love my 7.3L 5 speed Excursion.  I plan on keeping it for the long run.  It's getting scheduled for another oil undercoating this fall.  It's rust free as of now and if I can keep the body clean I should be good for a long time!

IMG_20170710_200849.jpg

• Like 2
10 hours ago, barefootpaul said:

Not sure how they get to $43k. This is my dad's https://appleton.craigslist.org/cto/d/2005-ford-excursion-diesel/6679671443.html for $15,500. Not as blinged out. But great condition and fewer miles. I have yet to understand how Excursions can range from $3k to $43k. That said, if you want to tow and move people there is nothing like them.

Well,  not justifying the $43K persay, but that first link and yours is like apples and oranges.  I agree yours is a clean truck, but zero modifications that I see plus a warning light for a glow plug he’s chosen not to address.  All that is fine and the price is fine, but the first one linked was bulletproofed with new alternator, etc as well as lift kit, custom body work, custom lighting, aftermarket head unit,wheels, etc.  

Is it worth $43K - probably not.  But I would be interested in knowing what it does sell for. 

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t want anything to do with a vehicle that has 200,000 + miles. Great to hear someone that has 400,000 + miles, but that isn’t important to me other than it means resale might be good. 

13 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Well,  not justifying the $43K persay, but that first link and yours is like apples and oranges.  I agree yours is a clean truck, but zero modifications that I see plus a warning light for a glow plug he’s chosen not to address.  All that is fine and the price is fine, but the first one linked was bulletproofed with new alternator, etc as well as lift kit, custom body work, custom lighting, aftermarket head unit,wheels, etc.  

Is it worth $43K - probably not.  But I would be interested in knowing what it does sell for. 

Not sure I would go to apples and oranges, but your point is valid and well stated. My intention was only to point out the inflated cost with a comparison.