Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

19 T23 vs 19 Makai?

jwl019

Thoughts on these 2 boats?

MSRP is only $3k difference with the Makai having more options which helps justify the $3k more and the actual cost is a lot closer between the two.

I am not really interested in the A24 since I am not a pickle fork fan, the Makai is about the closest to a pickle fork I would want.

T23 - 409, flake accent, SP3 with only 1 set of Rev10's, cover, bimini, GPS cruise, surf pipe, PW3, chilax, gatorstep, phone holder, Pnp with auto vent, swivel racks, dual batteries with switch, rear steps on trailer.  Not sure which prop to get, thinking 2277 for surfing and wakeboarding mostly at sealevel?

Not on it - blinged out trailer, docking lights, ski pylon, heater, underwater lights, no pnp bags, cooler, flush kit, transom trailer straps.

Makai - 400, most comes standard, 1 pr Rev10's on tower, flake accent, dual batteries with switch, Swell 3.0, surf pipe, gatorstep

Both are inventory boats so I am not picking the colors. Both dealers have pretty good reputations too.

Obviously a demo in each will be in order before deciding if I can find a new T23 close by.

Has anyone demo'd a new T23? What prop and pnp bag sizes does it need?

6 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

I’m curious to hear your review of the makai. 

Going to see it in person and demo in the next couple weeks. From some of the pics I have seen at dealers, it's huge on the inside and outside! I wish the trash and storage was for an ice chest and the driver seat base just being a pole is my only dislikes so far.  Bags come in it already stock, and the tower is raise/lower assist like the older Supra SA/SE, etc. so that's pretty nice not that I have to lower my tower very often.  If no extra bags are required on the seats or under them, it should have plenty of storage under the seats since I usually spend a whole day on the lake usually so I do not pack light. No bow storage in my VLX plus a bow bag on top of the seats puts personal bags and coolers everywhere in the cabin.

The PW3 on the T23 and the gear reduction is part of the draw to it.

Getting the PNP bags thrown in by the dealer on the T23 should be easy, so I would call that even.  I do like Moomba’s style lately. I would be interested in your review of the wake/wave.  However, something about that giant Moomba down the side turns me away.  I am a fan of the Raptor platform, which the Moomba still has.  

No doubt the Moomba lines down the side are not that appealing at least while sitting on the trailer.

I am starting to like the interior more than the Axis though, the cup holder area in the Axis just looks cheap to me vs the Moomba.

But both of them have plenty of room overall compared to my VLX.

Screenshot_20180915-080627_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20180915-081107_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20180915-080708_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20180915-081021_Chrome.jpg

Thank heaven the back doesn’t look like the max, saw one on the water snd from the back it was ugly and non functional , boat may be solid but Makai looks like a Supra Moomba 

1 hour ago, Dfowkes said:

Robert Garcia of Wake9 has a good review of the Moomba Makai with video. Check out his Facebook page under wake9.com user name. 

The short video? I see where it mentions a full review coming soon but haven't found that yet.

Coming from someone looking at a new boat in 2019, the moomba products do seem to be far better at fit and finish. I was looking at a number of Axis boats, from plastic cup holders (stainless on the moomba) to under the seat cut outs there is quite a difference. 

as far as performance, no idea yet. Both have surf systems and ballast and should be fine. I would guess the Axis has a better wakeboard wake. Surf? no idea, both i am sure would be good with the right amount of weight. But the Moomba is quite nice for the price. Seems they have really stepped up their game and Axis has gone backwards. Not bashing Axis, but c'mon. One axis i looked at looked like someone just took a jig saw and cut out the space under the seat. There was fiberglass strings hanging everywhere. 

2 hours ago, semi said:

Coming from someone looking at a new boat in 2019, the moomba products do seem to be far better at fit and finish. I was looking at a number of Axis boats, from plastic cup holders (stainless on the moomba) to under the seat cut outs there is quite a difference. 

as far as performance, no idea yet. Both have surf systems and ballast and should be fine. I would guess the Axis has a better wakeboard wake. Surf? no idea, both i am sure would be good with the right amount of weight. But the Moomba is quite nice for the price. Seems they have really stepped up their game and Axis has gone backwards. Not bashing Axis, but c'mon. One axis i looked at looked like someone just took a jig saw and cut out the space under the seat. There was fiberglass strings hanging everywhere. 

We surfed a 2018 Moomba Max, the 23 foot version of the Makai, and the surf wave was very good. Many of the participants of the Surfest compared the wave to the Supra SA, Centurion RI257 and the 25 LSV. I assume the Makai will be as good if not better than the Max. 

23 hours ago, bbattiste247 said:

We surfed a 2018 Moomba Max, the 23 foot version of the Makai, and the surf wave was very good. Many of the participants of the Surfest compared the wave to the Supra SA, Centurion RI257 and the 25 LSV. I assume the Makai will be as good if not better than the Max. 

Mojo is the 23 footer, I believe the Max is 22.5 but who's counting? :)

On 9/16/2018 at 3:36 PM, jwl019 said:

The short video? I see where it mentions a full review coming soon but haven't found that yet.

Wake9 is having their annual Polar Bear Event in a few weeks October 12, 13,14 on Lake Oroville.  They have 8 different boats.  The 2019 Makai is one the boats for the event.  

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:27 AM, semi said:

Agreed & the price keeps going up.  Wonder when the boat market correction is coming?

5 hours ago, racer808 said:

Just throwing this out there, but if you look at how fast Moombas depreciate it may be worth the Axis on that alone.  Year old Moombas on onlyinboards that are $20-30k less in just a year?

I haven’t paid attention to listings but I know when I sold my year old Moomba this year I didn’t lose any money. Same was true when I sold my year old Axis in ‘16. Like any boat if you buy it right you’ll be just fine. 

I do agree Moomba quality is higher than Axis, just my personal take on it. 

2 hours ago, That Guy said:

I haven’t paid attention to listings but I know when I sold my year old Moomba this year I didn’t lose any money. Same was true when I sold my year old Axis in ‘16. Like any boat if you buy it right you’ll be just fine. 

Going from a boat with a wedge vs one without, did you miss it? That is one of the benefits I see with the Axis vs the Moomba.

50 minutes ago, jwl019 said:

Going from a boat with a wedge vs one without, did you miss it? That is one of the benefits I see with the Axis vs the Moomba.

Not at all, after awhile we stopped using the wedge while surfing our T22, found we liked the wave better without it. You’ll find several similar results in recent posts on here as well. I did like the 3 fully adjustable plates on the Craz, but again once we found what we liked we didn’t really need the adjustability of them. I could see myself in a Makai, I could never see myself in another Axis. I’d have to go with a Malibu if I switched back. 

13 hours ago, That Guy said:

I agree too.  They look better, feel better, it'd be on my list if the dealer wasn't 3 hours away.  Really surprised Denver doesn't have a local Moomba/Supra dealer.

I have a water test of the Makai scheduled for the 1st weekend of October and will see how it performs.

One thing that might would make the spread increase between the T23 and the Makai would be if the Makai needs the 450 instead of the 400 when weighted down. 

I didnt sit in the makai but i will say the 2019 axis vinyl and seats felt much better than all the other 2019 moombas at the boat show. 

The makai does look nice. So waiting on your review from testing both.

The new axis helm seat is a winner to me. They do seem like 2 different boats though, but if the price is the same then i guess they arent! isnt the makai much bigger?

is the makai all ballast bags like the rest of moomba line up? Seemed like they didnt do tanks. 

Edited by agarabaghi
24 minutes ago, agarabaghi said:

is the makai all ballast bags like the rest of moomba line up? Seemed like they didnt do tanks. 

it's bags but in the subfloor

1 hour ago, jwl019 said:

One thing that might would make the spread increase between the T23 and the Makai would be if the Makai needs the 450 instead of the 400 when weighted down. 

Makai has the 1.76:1 transmission with the 400 … so it should be okay but you need to make sure that you get the 'wakeboard' prop …  made the mistake on my SL400 not paying attention to transmission ratio (it is 1.5:1) so overpropped it.  After switching to the wakeboard prop it was fine