Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mould On Apolstry

wakeparadise

Hi Guys,

I have a 2011 VLX and it’s starting to show some mould on the apolstry to the point where it’s now starting to look old. I hate it. Has anyone had any success removing mould? Any tips?

Spray bleach cleaner and a good brush with stiff plastic bristles, and rinse it off right away with plenty of water.  Don't be afraid to soak the floor.  Then dry or allow to dry in the shade and follow up with 303 or other conditioner.  Worked on my pontoon.

Sometimes bleach is worth it.

I had quite a lot, very little black mold spots on my white interior. Mostly on the trunk lid.

Tried everything not abrasive to no avail.

(Babe’s, upholstery cleaner, mold remover, ...).

I finally used some Clorox bleach cleaner and a brush like @minnmarker suggested above. I used just a little bit on the affected areas and was very careful not to spill it on the carpet and I avoided the seams as well. Brushed it in, let sit for 10 minutes, applied and brushed some more, waited another 5 minutes and miraculously - the spots disappeared! Washed everything off with lots of water and dish soap and applied Babe’s Seat Saver.

I was super relieved, as I read everywhere that these spots were coming from the inside and that there’s no way to get rid of them. Not true!

Edited by Chaabo

Was it discoloration from your cover on the back lid.  Most vinyl will have a chemical reastion of it binders to heat under covers.  If I take my cover off and leave in the sun for a day those all bleach out naturally it do not think it is mold though.  May be a different situation.

Edited by NHolladay

Spray Nine they sell it at Home Depot. Spray on and hose off with hose. My hose nozzle has a dial that has a clean setting a dozen really small jets it works great. Mold is organic you need to kill it not clean it. I swear by Spray Nine and Mr Clean spunges.

On 9/15/2018 at 11:25 AM, Chaabo said:

Nope, my boat sits on a lift with canopy and side curtains, never put the cover on.

Only downside is - here in the Florida humidity, mildew grows fast.

Down south you cover it under lift canopy or decking  and run floor fan 24/7 under a canvas breathable boat cover, my Great Lakes is awesome for this .

i tilt all my cushions every week under fan conditioned cover and I even put bag/sac plugs under the rear locker covers, one behind back seat and one at transom end to evenly prop slightly those upholstered cover so that seams don’t touch surface they normally  lay in when wet.

If you have mold spots on seating surface you have its SOURCE all through the under seams where you let cushion sit in water , clean and dry those under seams as well and cover and start using the fan

my “wonderful” dealer washed my boat on delivery and put my cushions down on wet surfaces and I took it home that way, one rain day later under cover in driveway I went to inspect after reading the manual that specifically states to “tilt your cushions” for storage snd one of my seams under my front most cushion fit about a 10” length had mildewed.  He did same to snap in carpet and the cleaning process for that began an early degradation to the backing fir that as well , do not leave your snap in carpet Down either in the south

Thr seams are the underneath source referred to above by OP

need blow off boat cover with blower and then roll it stern  to bow to put it away , when you roll because you have blown it off you don’t cross contaminate it which will eventually dirty the boat for you after you clean boat because of cross cont.

Edited by granddaddy55
On 9/15/2018 at 6:17 PM, dcarl said:

Spray Nine they sell it at Home Depot. Spray on and hose off with hose. My hose nozzle has a dial that has a clean setting a dozen really small jets it works great. Mold is organic you need to kill it not clean it. I swear by Spray Nine and Mr Clean spunges.

303 mildew(ooops Star brite I meant) does just that it kills the mold better than bleach or Tylex without damage but that was for a newly mildewed seam, with older stains the bleach may  probably be necessary , but the brush probably removes the impregnated vinyl with aid of bleach, I woujd do star brite first with a brush and star brite required a good rinse and dry as any good product require

Edited by granddaddy55
  • 2 years later...
1 hour ago, ShawnHelms said:

Is bleach the best way to do mold removal or is there any other product to remove it? Please share your suggestions.

Bleach is considered a last resort because it can damage the thread used to sew the upholstery together. 

5 hours ago, JasonK said:

Bleach didn't even put a dent in the mold problem I had in a rental house. Tilex is the BEST mold removing product. But I doubt it's good for thread.

Sorry, I distinctly meant bleach for boat upholstery.