Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Monsoon 409 info

Malibuckeye

My 2019 has a monsoon 409 that appears to be made by Crusader.  There's not a ton of info that I can find about this engine other than the basic stuff on crusaders site.  Does anyone have a good reference for it?  I like to do my own maintenance so I'll be looking at getting a spare impeller and just understanding the motor more.  Does anyone know if this is a chevy block?  

Thanks.

Chevy block yes. There isnt a ton info online about it. Its the same motor in all the 2017-2019 axis boats as well. I have it in my 2017 axis. I service it all myself. As far as the impeller, call bakes and talk to them. They have it in stock. I ordered my last one from them but cant find the invoice in my email to give you a part number. I also run royal purple HD full synthetic 15w40 oil and napa 1515 filter. 

There is PLENTY of info about these motors out there in the world.  PCM has been putting them in Nautiques for over 10 years.  

It's basically the same as the PCM ZR6/zr409/zr450 (same motor but with tune and hot cam) that PCM has been using for years, with the exception that the crusader version is raw water cooled vs close cooled (pretty sure all the PCMs are closed cooled?).

GM LY6 (I think).

It's a great motor and parts are very readily available on nautiqueparts.com/skidim.com/bakesonline.com.

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, onewake09 said:

...and napa 1515 filter. 

Which is how you know it's a PCM... cuz that's a ford filter (when vanilla ice changes the oil in his 5.0 he uses a wix 51515 filter), but a carryover from the GT40 days.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Which is how you know it's a PCM... cuz that's a ford filter (when vanilla ice changes the oil in his 5.0 he uses a wix 51515 filter), but a carryover from the GT40 days.

The motor craft filter is actually super cheap but I just couldn’t bring myself to put a ford oil filter on my gm engine, so I paid $8 more for a wix :lol: 

There is an owners manual here: https://goo.gl/mdjV7t

There's the waterflow diagram in this thread: https://goo.gl/r5VrpP

Oil Filter options:

• PCM R077001
  • Mobile 1 301
  • Amsoil EA026
  • K&N HP-3001
  • Mercury 35-802886T
  • WIX 51515XP
  • Napa Gold 1515
  • Motor Craft FL-1A

Impeller options:

• PCM RP061022
  • Sierra 18-8926

Spark plug options w/ .040 gap:

• PCM R03011
  • AC 41-110

Edited by mlange

It is the GM L96 motor, the LY6 is the earlier version of the same motor.  Indmar and PCM have used those motors for for over a decade with different ECMs and emissions setups.  Volvo Penta used the L96 for a few years too.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2018 at 2:36 PM, mlange said:

There is an owners manual here: https://goo.gl/mdjV7t

There's the waterflow diagram in this thread: https://goo.gl/r5VrpP

Oil Filter options:

• PCM R077001
  • Mobile 1 301
  • Amsoil EA026
  • K&N HP-3001
  • Mercury 35-802886T
  • WIX 51515XP
  • Napa Gold 1515
  • Motor Craft FL-1A

Impeller options:

• PCM RP061022
  • Sierra 18-8926

Spark plug options w/ .040 gap:

• PCM R03011
  • AC 41-110

Do you happen to have a list of approved oils? Going to be doing the oil change and draining the block today.

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to confirm. I'm getting ready to swap out the impeller in my boat.  Looks to me like the impeller housing is behind a belt pulley. I'm assuming I have to release the belt tension and remove the front of that housing? Has anyone done this?

11 minutes ago, babarney said:

Just wanted to confirm. I'm getting ready to swap out the impeller in my boat.  Looks to me like the impeller housing is behind a belt pulley. I'm assuming I have to release the belt tension and remove the front of that housing? Has anyone done this?

Remove the belt from the pulley.  You do not have to remove the pulley, but I did my first time so that I could get a better view as to what was going on behind it (the pulley).  The bolts to remove the pump cover can be access thru the pulley itself.  IIRC they were 10mm.

4 hours ago, Texan32 said:

Remove the belt from the pulley.  You do not have to remove the pulley, but I did my first time so that I could get a better view as to what was going on behind it (the pulley).  The bolts to remove the pump cover can be access thru the pulley itself.  IIRC they were 10mm.

Thank you!

Getting ready to change the oil too. The manual says to start with 4 qts and let it run and go from there. Is that what you all do or does anyone know how much oil to put in with a new filter?

I feel like I pour as much as I can into the filter, and then 4q in the engine and that gets right about to the "full" line.  I can't usually pour a full quart into a napa x1515 filter.  So it ends up being right around 4.5ish +/- YMMV etc etc.

15 hours ago, babarney said:

Getting ready to change the oil too. The manual says to start with 4 qts and let it run and go from there. Is that what you all do or does anyone know how much oil to put in with a new filter?

I agree with shawndoggy about adding fluid to the filter.  Since the filter is "threads up" it would help if it were pre-filled for quicker circulation.

I got THIS 12v pump from Northern Tool.  I did let the engine warm up a little, but i didnt want it "hot" since i was working in there.  With a new filter install, 4qts (total) got me perfect on the dip stick.  FL1A filter (personal preference) and a 4qt jug of dead dinosaurs was all i needed.  Just make sure that you actually do get upwards of 4 quarts of fluid out of the engine.  If you do decide to pump it out, make sure you have a good seal on the hose.  I consider myself a pretty mechanically savvy guy, but it still took me a few minutes to get the oil to start and keep pumping out.  If you are going to let it gravity drain, i would be more inclined to get the motor all the way up to temp.  It will help it flow that much more.

Last note that i read on here that helped.  When removing the filter, put a baggie around the filter before you spin it off.  This will help contain any spillage.

• 1 year later...

Hello all I know this was talked about before however I can see different recommendation when it comes to what oil to use in the Crusader monsoon 409 6L engine.  I'm looking forward to my first oil change on my 2019 MLX and so far this is what I was told.

local dealer said they use 25W40

Crusader manual says 15W40 and most here seems to agree

Malibu manual says all Malibu boats must use 5W30

AMSOIL supports said I should use their marine 10W40

So nothing really consistent, can anyone help shine some light on the conflicting information I received?

Side Note, I'm in Canada for weather.

Any of those will be fine. Oil brand, rating and viscosity is the most argued about low consequence issue in the boating world (honorable mention being whether to fill your block with antifreeze come winterization season).  Maybe @COOP @SmoothWaterMan or @23LSVOwner can prove me wrong but I’ve never read about anyone having a warranty claim denied because their oil was the wrong viscosity.  Fact is the engines are pretty robust and don’t tend to blow or wear out for 99.9% of folks who just go to the trouble of changing the oil periodically.

fwiw, pcm has even updated their recommendation, so your engine manual is out of date. 

image.thumb.png.3c4ddc39b9bf12d0967d1cb98bc05fc8.png

Edited by shawndoggy
9 hours ago, Burgy said:

Hello all I know this was talked about before however I can see different recommendation when it comes to what oil to use in the Crusader monsoon 409 6L engine.  I'm looking forward to my first oil change on my 2019 MLX and so far this is what I was told.

So nothing really consistent, can anyone help shine some light on the conflicting information I received?

IIRC, Malibu manual recommendation is specific to Malibu motors, not those made by other manufacturers. Should be a few notes in there reinforcing that statement.

8 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Any of those will be fine. Oil brand, rating and viscosity is the most argued about low consequence issue in the boating world (honorable mention being whether to fill your block with antifreeze come winterization season).  Maybe @COOP @SmoothWaterMan or @23LSVOwner can prove me wrong but I’ve never read about anyone having a warranty claim denied because their oil was the wrong viscosity.  Fact is the engines are pretty robust and don’t tend to blow or wear out for 99.9% of folks who just go to the trouble of changing the oil periodically.

fwiw, pcm has even updated their recommendation, so your engine manual is out of date. 

image.thumb.png.3c4ddc39b9bf12d0967d1cb98bc05fc8.png

I do not know on the other manufacturers, but if oil is suspect for causing engine damage to a Malibu motor a sample will be pulled and sent off to a lab for analysis.

Chances are it would be denied if it does not meet the specification required. Tons of testing along with GM recommendations went into the oil selection.

Can anyone help me clarify the advisory above?  Do they mean a dexon 1 Gen 2 or dexon 2 oil?  they write "dexon gen 2" . I'm pretty sure it's the dexon 1 Gen 2 we need, not the dexon 2 right??

Thanks again.

22 hours ago, Burgy said:

Use the weight it specified in the engine manual.   Malibu or crusader or whomever.   It’s their engine.  

Edited by SmoothWaterMan