Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Billy Chinook trip

obski

We got back from a fun trip to Lake Billy Chinook in central Oregon. We lucked out with some awesome weather. The air temp got up to around 70 and water to 64 and not a cloud in sight and hardly another boat either. We practically had the lake to ourselves. We also never encountered the usual afternoon wind so that we had glass the entire weekend to play on. We were joined by my brother in law and family.

We had a few firsts this weekend.

This was the first time we pulled the 'Bu with the motorhome. It did just fine, although it slowed down to around 40mph going over the mountain.

My nephew, who learned to wakeboard with us last year, got right back up and was crossing the wake with confindence.

My niece went longer and faster than she ever had on double skis.

I got my first ruptured eardrum on a faceplant and even had blood dripping out of the ear for a night. Sorry no pictures, although I could take a picture of the pillowcase. Crazy.gif

Here's my BIL and son getting ready to hit the glass:

IMG_1215.jpg

OBwan,

Nice looking setup and you gotts love that kind of glass. (Jealousy flowing here).

The toungue of the trailer looks like it rides quite low, therefore putting a lot more weight on the front tires of your trailer than the rear pair. Any issues with that or noticeable temperature differences between the front and rear pair?

OBwan,

Nice looking setup and you gotts love that kind of glass. (Jealousy flowing here).

The toungue of the trailer looks like it rides quite low, therefore putting a lot more weight on the front tires of your trailer than the rear pair. Any issues with that or noticeable temperature differences between the front and rear pair?

Thanks.

Yes, I too noticed that the hitch was a bit low. It is the hitch that came with the motorhome and works quite well for towing a vehicle flat with a towplate. I think it is a 4" drop. I thought about using the hitch on my Tahoe which is a 2" drop, or getting a 3" drop. I didn't notice any problem with the trailer tires, but I imagine there could be some problems over time if I towed often with that configuration.

We got back from a fun trip to Lake Billy Chinook in central Oregon. We lucked out with some awesome weather. The air temp got up to around 70 and water to 64 and not a cloud in sight and hardly another boat either. We practically had the lake to ourselves. We also never encountered the usual afternoon wind so that we had glass the entire weekend to play on. We were joined by my brother in law and family.

We had a few firsts this weekend.

This was the first time we pulled the 'Bu with the motorhome. It did just fine, although it slowed down to around 40mph going over the mountain.

My nephew, who learned to wakeboard with us last year, got right back up and was crossing the wake with confindence.

My niece went longer and faster than she ever had on double skis.

I got my first ruptured eardrum on a faceplant and even had blood dripping out of the ear for a night. Sorry no pictures, although I could take a picture of the pillowcase. Crazy.gif

Here's my BIL and son getting ready to hit the glass:

IMG_1215.jpg

Looks good David - sorry about the ear!

Sure is nice water - 'cept for that weird green stuff floatin 'round Crazy.gif

OB - thanks for the report and the pics. Since we haven't been able to get out due to busy family calendar, it is nice to live a litte through you!!

Pics make me wann get on the water Cry.gif

Slim chance I may make it out tomorrow afternoon, but the rest of the week is not an option.

thanks!

OB - thanks for the report and the pics. Since we haven't been able to get out due to busy family calendar, it is nice to live a litte through you!!

Slim chance I may make it out tomorrow afternoon, but the rest of the week is not an option.

thanks!

So, did you make it out today? We went out in the afternoon and there were a surprisingly large number of boats out, although it wasn't really crowded. I think a lot of people were trying to make use of these last few nice warm days for this year. The water temp was 65 to 66 and the air around 80. Pretty nice. I just drove the boat for everybody else as I have been instructed to stay out of the water while my ear heals up. I enjoyed the driving, but the nice conditions were sure tempting. What's really killing me is not being able to get in my lap swimming. I've resorted to the stationary bike.

My water is now 61F (and that's with generous rounding) so it is starting to take a bit of fortitude -- BUT -- the last 3 times I have been out we have been the only boat out there pulling anything and on my lake, that is saying something. Woohoo!

A few fisherman but they ususally stay put, where they belong, so the skiing has been just stupendous.

thanks!

So, did you make it out today? We went out in the afternoon and there were a surprisingly large number of boats out, although it wasn't really crowded. I think a lot of people were trying to make use of these last few nice warm days for this year. The water temp was 65 to 66 and the air around 80. Pretty nice. I just drove the boat for everybody else as I have been instructed to stay out of the water while my ear heals up. I enjoyed the driving, but the nice conditions were sure tempting. What's really killing me is not being able to get in my lap swimming. I've resorted to the stationary bike.

We did make it out Tues for about 4 hours. It was wonderful Yahoo.gifYahoo.gif Like you we had water temp was 65 on our dash with 80's air temp. I had some going with a shorty, one going with full suit, and my son and I just jumped in with swimming suit only. Surprised.gif (no gasping on entry, no shivering on exit) Did see quite a few boats out for mid-week.

Then yesterday I got a call from my friend that is looking at the 07 Rlxi. So we got out for a couple more hours for a quick test drive complete with skiing and boarding. Yahoo.gifYahoo.gif Tough to beat the late season runs with such perfect conditions. (though I don't think the TX, CA crowd can even LOOK at water that cold) This was 2pm-4pm so we only saw about 4-5 boats.

Still hoping for 'just one more day' -- but I'm out of town the rest of this week. So it will have to be in Oct.

We did make it out Tues for about 4 hours. It was wonderful Yahoo.gifYahoo.gif Like you we had water temp was 65 on our dash with 80's air temp. I had some going with a shorty, one going with full suit, and my son and I just jumped in with swimming suit only. Surprised.gif (no gasping on entry, no shivering on exit) Did see quite a few boats out for mid-week.

Then yesterday I got a call from my friend that is looking at the 07 Rlxi. So we got out for a couple more hours for a quick test drive complete with skiing and boarding. Yahoo.gifYahoo.gif Tough to beat the late season runs with such perfect conditions. (though I don't think the TX, CA crowd can even LOOK at water that cold) This was 2pm-4pm so we only saw about 4-5 boats.

Still hoping for 'just one more day' -- but I'm out of town the rest of this week. So it will have to be in Oct.

Was the '07 RXli white with black gel? I saw one out there with one of the BCWS guys in the boat - we waved as we went by. We were running between Charbonneau and Hebb Park from 3 until 4:30pm. We had a great time.

I was out yesterday after 5pm and that water aint no 65. We would say you are lucky to be close to 58-59. the water is still nice and it will only get better as the boats become fewer and fewer. My lxi is black with white and grey stripes. We have been out 3 times a week on the river over the last month or so and the water temp just keeps dropping. the river is getting fed by the bottom water behind the dams and that has also kicked a bunch of crap down the river. Last week there was a stretch that I could not go over 10 mph so I did not hit 2x4s,2x10, peoples burn fire wood etc. It was not a pretty picture as I listened to stuff deflect off the boat.

There was a lot more debris floating around yesterday than I have seen in some time and while I avoided most of it, I did hear some bouncing off of the hull.

Two of those out were wearing just shorts, and the other added a neo top. They all said that they were comfortable. The boat was reading 65 to 66. I didn't get in so I can't comment on what it felt like.

my temp. gauge said 66 but I can say my gauge seems to be off no matter where I am at. my son jumped in and I was comfortable when i was in the water. It is still very nice with air temps in the 80's but the water has cooled off significantly the last couple of weeks. Last week I hit something that stuck to my first skag and it took two times of stopping and floating for the whatever to come lose and bounce down the undercariage of the boat. No damage when I inspected. I was cringing as I had just switched my prop.

That's awesome OB. Your rig looks sweet, though my first thought was the tongue was too low as well.

I can't believe you didn't post pics of your ear! :)

Hope you heal soon.

We have been so lucky with the weather around Oregon. Last weekend we were in the columbia slew (Launched at Bay Port Marina) Hope for some final fun out of the local landing in Newberg. (Rogers Landing) Any locals going out? Enjoy it while we have it! Cheers.gif

We have been so lucky with the weather around Oregon. Last weekend we were in the columbia slew (Launched at Bay Port Marina) Hope for some final fun out of the local landing in Newberg. (Rogers Landing) Any locals going out? Enjoy it while we have it! Cheers.gif

I wish. All of my crew has deserted me. I guess I will have to spend the day catching up on some things around the house and yard. Hope you enjoy the day on the river.

Was the '07 RXli white with black gel? I saw one out there with one of the BCWS guys in the boat - we waved as we went by. We were running between Charbonneau and Hebb Park from 3 until 4:30pm. We had a great time.

OB - Yes, that was us on the BCWS demo. . . A great afternoon - still hoping for one last day. (just need weather and schedule to line up)