Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

what amp to buy

oldstv

Thinking about changing the factory tower amp. Thought i would try the amp first to see if I can get away with not doing the speakers. Considering the SDx2 at 400 per side. Does anyone have any ideas on this? 

1) what factory amp are we comparing to?

2) what speakers and how many? 

3) what are you hoping to improve? may not be an amp wattage, but speaker type that needs to be changed. Could be both. 

The SDX2 would be 400W rms x 2 to a single pair of 4 ohm speakers. Thats ideal for a pair of 10" or 11" HLCD and VERY strong for a pair of 8" or 9" HLCD or 8" coaxial. 

The factory amp is the SYN-dx2dsp. I think it is 200w per channel amp.

4 tower speakers {Icon 8s}

The speakers sound like they are distorting at higher volume. Not sure how high because I was behind the boat when they were being played.

Hmmm, FWIW I'm running 4 M880etx from a SDX2.  At a volume that's painfully loud behind the boat surfing it's still crystal clear.  Those speakers are similar on paper to the Icon8.  I've got my speakers above the bimini though so that alone added to the projection of the speakers compared to being underneath. And the family allows me to crank them up now. :)

With 2 pair of 4 ohm speakers, the amp spec is 375W rms p/chnl so roughly 187 per speaker. Out side of a an amp issue or improper tuned being loaded, I would be careful making an amp swap for distortion. This can easily be generated at the source, as in the Medallion black box or media storage device. Now, if you are wanting more output and driving the source unit into clip mode by maxing the volume level, then moving up to a higher output amp, can help. With more wattage, the speakers can reach their potential, with the source unit volume at a lower level. 

For the money, id go with the Syn-DX2.3HP for 2 pair of icon-8. 

I really appreciate the input from you guys, this is what I was hoping for.

The boat has not been touched since it left the factory as far as I know. It might just need some tweaking through the eq or have an issue with one of the components as mentioned. Is this a process that I can do or does it need to go someplace with equipment?

I thought about the DX2 but wondered if I would be able to tell much of a gain with that amp.

Eeek. Wetsound's model numbering lends itself to me easily getting them crossed up.  Just for the record to save someone else the time to look it up on their website.

When running two pairs of tower speakers

SDX2 - 310W per speaker

DX2 - 187W per speaker

DX2.3 - 300W per speaker

As MLA said, the DX2.3 is the way to go for the money if you find you need more power due to the amp clipping from being asked to give too much.

43 minutes ago, oldstv said:

Is this a process that I can do or does it need to go someplace with equipment?

Your Malibu dealer can load the latest and greatest tune from the factory. Id maybe start there, and rule out any issues causing the distortion.