Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1994 Malibu Echelon 5.7 EFI Engine Cut Out

KOConnor

Looking for some help. Recently purchased a ‘94 echelon that had been sitting for a few years. Working on redoing all th vinyl and hopefully getting the 5.7 EFI 350 tournament Ski back in shape. Engine starts, idles, revs fine just seems to cut out.  I’m thinking it’s wiring issue but checking to see if anyone has any other suggestions before I take it in. Guy I bought it from had put in a ignition control module from his old Chevy. Any good service recommendations in the Rhode Island area? Thanks

@KOConnor:  That boat was originally equipped with the Thundervolt IV electronic ignition system, that is the Mercruiser standard in '94.  That system is simple and pretty much bullet proof, it sounds like from your description something might have been changed.  Your problem could be a myriad of things, either electrical or fuel.  I would check all the grounds and connections, make sure the canon plug (by the starter) is not corroded.  Fuel filter, anti siphon valve and proper fuel pressure would be items on the fuel side to check.  An engine of that vintage probably needs the fuel lines replaced as they do not like ethanol fuel and sitting probably did them no favors.

Hi Guys,

Ignition not a problem any more. I ran a compression test as I was getting some surging on the throttle from 2k to 2500 and back down to 2k. Turns out I have low compression on #8 cylinder at 40psi all others north of 140. Put some MMO in there and let it sit for a few days and no change on the compression test. Got a borescope in there and no apparent damage to cylinder walls or piston head. Swapped out a quart of oil and replaced with MMO as Im thinking valves as sticking or bad. Pulled the oil fill cap on valve cover while running and getting a lot of exhaust out of the fill. Next step to pull the valve cover and hope for a broken valve spring on #8 exhaust?

Not sure of the winterization history. I took valve cover off today and everything seems to check out. I got #8 to TDC and put on an air hose and hear some gurgling from what seems to be in the block. Also noticed some water in #8 cylinder.

• 3 months later...

had the same issue for 2 seasons in our 95 echelon after chasing our tail around replacing this that and everything in between, i replaced the entire fuel line from the tank to the mechanical pump as well as changing the mechanical pump and a new fuel water separator. Problem fixed hasn't missed a beat since.. I actually found minute pieces of black (thinner than hair like substance) in the fuel separator when i tapped it out, I believe this was blocking the electric pump filter in the fuel accumulator and causing the fuel starvation, then let it sit, it would settle and run again...Moral is always start with the basics...good luck

Edited by jackyhazza