Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ski schools?

moski

I travel around few states for work.  I have run 15 off and 2 balls at 22 off at 30mph.  Someone recommended to me to actually run speed at 32mph, so i guess i should start at that speed.  I have a 65” HO Mach I (grey w/ neon green) that was my dad’s and its from around 1995 i think.  I got a new to me ski, recommended by few folks i have talked with and gave them my background.  It’s a 2016 Radar Vapor 66”.  I am 5’8” and 150lbs.   I need help getting this Vapor dialed in.  Looking for some ski schools help to get ski dialed in for me but also lessons at the same time to get better at the ski course.

The states that i work in are:  MO, part of KS, half of IL (southern part), IN, KY, TN, AR, MS, AL.   Ski schools in these areas to get ski dialed in for me and also better myself in ski course???

Thank you in advance for your help/advice,
moski

@moski:  I would try some area dealers as a source, many times your local dealer brings in a pro or coach for some clinics.  It also allows them to demo their latest boat.  Many ski schools also do travel clinics which are quite common, Seth Stisher who is an excellent coach travels around frequently to coach at clinics.  Individuals also get groups together and organize then contract the pro / coach to visit their lake for a ski clinic.  The Edge in southern Illinois probably can help as an example.

3 hours ago, Woodski said:

@moski:  I would try some area dealers as a source, many times your local dealer brings in a pro or coach for some clinics.  It also allows them to demo their latest boat.  Many ski schools also do travel clinics which are quite common, Seth Stisher who is an excellent coach travels around frequently to coach at clinics.  Individuals also get groups together and organize then contract the pro / coach to visit their lake for a ski clinic.  The Edge in southern Illinois probably can help as an example.

This ^^ is what we have done around here (MN).  I've skied with Wade Cox and Seth Stisher here in MN, and Brooks Wilson has been coming here lately (I'm supposed to ski with him next week).  I ski on a 2016 Vapor Lithium and love it!  IMO, I think you should stay at 30 mph until you can run 22', unless you feel that you are sinking too much.  The ski will work better at 32 MPH, but you will need to work up to that.  If you were heavier, then I could see speeding it up to 32.

Otherwise FL, CA, SC, and LA are the main states with ski schools.  As far as getting your Radar dialed in, find someone with a caliper and have the ski set to stock settings.  

Edited by Brodie
58 minutes ago, Brodie said:

This ^^ is what we have done around here (MN).  I've skied with Wade Cox and Seth Stisher here in MN, and Brooks Wilson has been coming here lately (I'm supposed to ski with him next week).  

Otherwise FL, CA, SC, and LA are the main states with ski schools.  As far as getting your Radar dialed in, find someone with a caliper and have the ski set to stock settings.  

Brooksys a hell of a good guy.  Have fun.  Wheres he gonna be?

Not sure how far north you get in Illinois, but I would recommend The Liquid Edge in Farmer City, IL.  Mastercraft dealer, private lake, good coaching.  I don't make it there very often myself, but I would if I was closer.

Ski instruction are great, but its up to you to keep working on your technique.   I 'd recommend also looking for a local water ski club...Skiing with a club, members will be able to help your technique improve each day you are on the boat.  

The 2016 Vapor is suppose to be a really great ski, and with your speed and weight, a66" will work much better than your 65".  Newer skis ski differently than those of the past, much more front foot than those of the past.  Check out this site for the fin settings and boot placement https://radarskis.com/finsettings/

I'm not sure how old you are, but I'd definitely recommend increasing the speed, (if you feel like you can run 30 mph @-15 consistently).  Its good to play with different rope lengths, but ideally getting to your maximum speed at -15 then shorten the rope.  Over 35 years old you max out at 34.2 mph (the young bucks max out at 36).  As you progress I'd recommend making sure you have a boat driver that pays attention to giving you a good pull.  You don't want this to happen ;)

Aso check out BallofSpray.com its a web page and forum dedicated to skiing the buoys.

Edited by Joeprunc
35 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

Brooksys a hell of a good guy.  Have fun.  Wheres he gonna be?

That's what I've heard.  He was here this summer and stayed with one of our ski club members in Chan.  

He was supposed to be out at New Germany, but that just got pulled out from under them I guess.  He was at the Quarry this summer, so maybe they will move it there.

@Joeprunc  lol.  Thank you.  I am 41 years old but feel 30.  I’m slim, fit and stay active by running and biking (mtn and road).   Thank you for the advice.   @CedarLakeSkier  Thank you, yeah i can make Farm city, IL happen.  

Appreciate all the other advice guys.  Really do.  Want to get the ski set up for me and want to improve my slalom skiing.  

Sounds like you are becoming addicted to the course, that's great!  What's your course access - how often can you go?  A ski club and lessons are great ideas. Private lake access is heaven if you can swing it. Club members are often pretty good coaches. I am 60 this year; on a HO Superlite last year and making nice progress; getting on the course 1-3 times a week. Can finally run 30/15 off all day long and now doing 32/15 about 70% of the time. Tried 34 last week 1st time ever- have managed 3 balls so far - I think the increased boat rpm noise psyches me out more than the actual skiing.

@moski:  I also suggest you invest in the book "fin whispering" as it is now becoming the ski tuning bible.   https://www.finwhispering.com/

Ball of Spray will be an excellent source of information on slalom skiing:  https://www.ballofspray.com/

Welcome to the world of endless fin tuning and to chasing those little orange balls, that newer ski should really help knock down some improved scores.  Don't worry, addiction is permanent … and people that don't ski won't understand.

Edited by Woodski
  • Like 2

I would also suggest Terry Winter's site, TrainingwithTerryWinter, and joining at least for a month or two at $19/month, and watching the videos there, reading up on the Q&A, asking some questions if you have some, and even sending in some vid (separate charge to have him evaluate it).  the videos alone are worth the money for a couple months.  Better than anything you will find on youtube.  And though I love BallofSpray, I think his vids and advice are less confusing and more direct.  Easy for me to get my head swimming at BOS if I am not careful.  Though I really appreciate what Horton does there.

Edited by sunvalleylaw
  • Like 1

I wanted to clarify that I DO think Ball of Spray is a great resource.  There is a ton of information there.  Just that investment in some time and very little money at Terry's site is a great thing to do when you are learning.  It has helped me.  

1 hour ago, River Monsters said:

Isn't Ball of Spray all about Horton?   Didn't know it was a ski site.  Thought it was biographical or something.

Lots of slalom discussion.  Some other three event stuff like tricking and jumping too.  Lots of boat discussion.  But mostly slalom.  Horton tries very hard to keep it on topic for three event stuff, and the emphasis is typically slalom.

10 minutes ago, foxriverat said:

@sunvalleylaw Sounds like a dig at John. I dont think he is to fond of us slalom skiers. 

Ah, ok.  I will not further engage then.  I appreciate what John does.  I do think it is worth it for the OP to check out Terry's stuff.  The videos alone are excellent.