Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Where’s the ceiling ?

Bawshogg

On 9/15/2018 at 12:52 PM, TallRedRider said:
On 9/15/2018 at 12:10 AM, Chappy said:

I was going to bring this up in my earlier post but didn't want to start WW3 or get this post shut down.  I am with you, I just don't get the thought process of paying cash for a depreciating asset.  I finance anything that depreciates or in any circumstance where I feel like I can get a better or even equal return on my investment than the interest rate for the loan.  For example, if Best Buy is going to let me buy a $4000 TV over 24 months at 0%, I am taking that deal all day. Do I have the cash? Yes, but why give Best Buy all my money today? Same goes for boats and cars if you are getting a good rate. Also, I would rather stay liquid and leave that cash in my account or another easily accessible investment. Sometimes I think people do this just so they can say "Hey look at me I wrote a big check"!

I agree, nobody wants to start a fight, and I don't think it will come to that.  It is absolutely hard to pass up 0% interest.  But pretty much when there is any interest involved, I pay cash when I can.  It is definitely not so I can just say I wrote a big check.  It is hard to see that money leave the account.  

My perspective is that if I become injured, sick, lose my job, divorce, or the economy tanks, I don't have the stress and other negative consequences of not being able to pay my bills.  Unforseen stuff happens to a lot of people, and having payments every month makes it worse.  I don't think anyone who finances stuff should be offended, it is just another perspective, and if after considering thoughtfully what I am saying, you are more set to finance, then that is your choice.  

love this @TallRedRider. You are basically saying minimizing risk is a higher priority. Im sure your investments arent doing bad even though you have wrote so many "big checks to boost your ego" ;) 

@Chappy you make complete sense too tho! anyone who has a brain can see that makes sense. But once you start financing multiple large ticket items, you have other issues that can come into play. And you have the possibility that a 2008 crash could happen.  Boom, investments tanked, and you still owe the remaining balance. Of course, you wouldnt get yourself into that situation because you would have a large enough buffer to avoid that. 

I have done a little of both and from my experience discovered that large ticket financed items ended up running my life and job choices. I  ended up having to find the work that supported my lifestyle rather than the work i loved to live with. I now own all my cars and my boat but my house still is a factor that determines to a smaller extent now what jobs/career choices the wife and i can make. I will be happy once i finally can get my money back out of the house and downsize. Ive always been taught  to own rather than rent, lease, finance over and over. I did not stick to that though but i think sometimes it makes since. 

I should answer the question. I cant say where the bubble will bust but surely it will. Just like the housing market did. I sat in a 2018 or 19 Malibu 23 or 25 foot surf boat the other day. Price was 125 or 150 grand. Hard for me to take it all in. I really love my 01 SSVLX i got for under 22 grand. Its paid for and will be my last boat. If i ever sold for something different, i would not go over that amount. Well maybe for an ocean going yacht. 

This just came to me, im not sure what age group is buying he high priced wake and surf boats but as they age to a different lifestyle, what generation will start buying, why would they buy and what are their likes dislikes abd beliefs? 

Edited by williemon
1 hour ago, williemon said:

I have done a little of both and from my experience discovered that large ticket financed items ended up running my life and job choices. I  ended up having to find the work that supported my lifestyle rather than the work i loved to live with. I now own all my cars and my boat but my house still is a factor that determines to a smaller extent now what jobs/career choices the wife and i can make. I will be happy once i finally can get my money back out of the house and downsize. Ive always been taught  to own rather than rent, lease, finance over and over. I did not stick to that though but i think sometimes it makes since. 

I should answer the question. I cant say where the bubble will bust but surely it will. Just like the housing market did. I sat in a 2018 or 19 Malibu 23 or 25 foot surf boat the other day. Price was 125 or 150 grand. Hard for me to take it all in. I really love my 01 SSVLX i got for under 22 grand. Its paid for and will be my last boat. If i ever sold for something different, i would not go over that amount. Well maybe for an ocean going yacht. 

This just came to me, im not sure what age group is buying he high priced wake and surf boats but as they age to a different lifestyle, what generation will start buying, why would they buy and what are their likes dislikes abd beliefs? 

There was a post earlier in the thread on what Malibu presented as he typical demographics for Axis and Bu, if you want to look it up.  

One thing that is going to be interesting in the coming months is how much more costs go up of new boats due to the new tariff's.  Obviously a majority of things are made in the US, but there is still a lot of things that comes from China that is used in our $150K+ Boats.

September 17th, the U.S. announced a 10% tariff applied to $200B of Chinese imports, effective Monday, September 24, 2018. those tariffs may rise to 25% on January 1 2019.

Trump Says It’s ‘Time to Take a Stand on China’ After Tariff Move
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-21/trump-says-time-to-take-a-stand-on-china-after-tariff-move