Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New-to-me 23 LSV

atropine

Hi everyone-

I just picked up a 2004 23 LSV with 100 hours on her. I sold my last Malibu this spring (1991 Sunsetter Euro f3) and I have hated being without a boat this summer. Anyway, this is quite a step-up for me. I plan to use the boat primarily on Lake Mead for wakeboarding, and I plan to get a Sky-Ski this fall also.

I plan to add Perfect Pass, a depth finder, a bimini extension, carpet saver, and a better stereo at some point. I called the dealer to get some prices on these items; they said the carpet saver was about $300, the bimini extension was $520, and he was going to check into what all was needed for the depth finder. I was told that the depth finder would need to include the transducer and the "brain" that plugs into the MMDS unit under the dash. Any idea what this should cost?

Also, my tower only has one location per side for wakeboard racks (early 2004 tower). Ideally I would love to have 2 sets of wakeboard racks and also a rack for the Sky-Ski, but it doesn't look like this is possible. I will probably have to do away with one of the wakeboard racks and put a Sky-Ski rack on the one side. Any recommendations on a rack for the Sky-Ski?

Also, I have about 400 pounds of lead in small sections of sealed PVC pipe. Where do these boats like to be weighted for the ideal wake? Should I evenlty distribute it throughout the front/back? I have the MLS 4-tank ballast system.

Here are a few pics...

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Nice looking boat. I have an 05 LSV and I use the factory ballast and wedge, plus a 440lb sac in each v-drive compartment, a 680 on the floor, and a 350 up front. Wake is pretty nice.

Hi everyone-

I just picked up a 2004 23 LSV with 100 hours on her. I sold my last Malibu this spring (1991 Sunsetter Euro f3) and I have hated being without a boat this summer. Anyway, this is quite a step-up for me. I plan to use the boat primarily on Lake Mead for wakeboarding, and I plan to get a Sky-Ski this fall also.

Also, I have about 400 pounds of lead in small sections of sealed PVC pipe. Where do these boats like to be weighted for the ideal wake? Should I evenlty distribute it throughout the front/back? I have the MLS 4-tank ballast system.

Good Looking boat. Your going to enjoy the 04 23 LSV.

I would place the lead under the rear seats. A little more on the port side to compensate for driver and cooler. If the bow is too high then I would shift some to the bow area, maybe under the observer seat (again to compensate for driver and or cooler).

I rode on a 23 LSV a few weeks back and noticed they weighted there boat with (2) 250lb sacks on the rear seats as well. I didn't like too much weight in the trunks cuz it just makes the wake more steep vs. large rampy wake.

Anyway, those are places to start..... I'm sure you will find a setup that will work for you.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the info. The wake has got to be monstrous with that much weight!

Does anyone know if the Malibu cruise control system can be added to my boat (as opposed to Perfect Pass)? Would it be any better, cheaper, easier to install, etc? Does either the Malibu cruise control system or PP have a depth finder built into it?

I seriously doubt that it would be cheaper or even the same as PP since you'd have to retrofit throttle by wire to that boat. That would get into the electronics, possibly new programming....lots of money I'd be willing to bet. FWIW, Perfect Pass (when properly installed) works a bit better for some people than the new stock system, so I'd go with that & be happy.

I didn't know the hour-meter kept ticking with the key in the on position but engine off-- good to know. BTW, the stereo won't seem to work unless the key is on. And when the key is on but the engine is not runing, it keeps beeping incessantly. This will get annoying when we want to stop and swim for awhile but listen to music with the engine off. How do I get around this? I know, the answer is probably in my owner's manual but it is locked up in the boat and I haven't had time to go get it out yet....

I didn't know the hour-meter kept ticking with the key in the on position but engine off-- good to know. BTW, the stereo won't seem to work unless the key is on. And when the key is on but the engine is not runing, it keeps beeping incessantly. This will get annoying when we want to stop and swim for awhile but listen to music with the engine off. How do I get around this? I know, the answer is probably in my owner's manual but it is locked up in the boat and I haven't had time to go get it out yet....

I thought Malibu changed it so that the meter didn't run unless the engine was actually running????

I thought Malibu changed it so that the meter didn't run unless the engine was actually running????

My '06 clocks hours whenever the engine is running. My '01 only clocked hours when the rpms were over 1000.

You should be able to move your stereo power to an acc switch. I'd recomend that over having to screw with the key. If you haveta turn the key on to work the stereo, sounds like a safety issue to me - not to mention the beeping.

first, i think i'd remove the rear hard tanks and replace them with 750s. then i'd throw much of that lead up front.

I'm pretty sure it clicks hours if the key is in this position, but I may be wrong. In my boat I turn the key counterclockwise (top of key pointing to the left instead of the right) to turn on just the radio and keep the engine from clicking hours. This may keep it from beeping as well. My stereo (Sony) beeps whenever I turn off the engine as a "feature" to remind me to remove the faceplate from the stereo. Very irritating, but I've learned to ignore it.

Yes, I am a moron. I didn't realize until a couple of days ago that turning the key to the left would put it in the ACC position and power on the radio without running the hour meter or beeping with the stereo on. I FEEL STUPID...

BTW, I love this boat. The wake with just the stock LS ballast and wedge is fantastic. I will have to seriously consider removing the hard tanks, adding 750's, and putting the lead further up front. I wonder if I will have to re-prop with the additional 1000 lbs this will add?

I have the same boat as you, and ride a skyski quite a bit. The only rack to consider is the comptech from Skyski or one of their dealers. Get the one that swivels....700.00 but worth it. You have to mount it where your WB rack is now. Also, you have to drill through one side of the tower.....sounds hard, but really easy. There is a third bolt and spacer needed for the illusion tower. Make sure you get it included when you order the rack.

I have the same boat as you, and ride a skyski quite a bit. The only rack to consider is the comptech from Skyski or one of their dealers. Get the one that swivels....700.00 but worth it. You have to mount it where your WB rack is now. Also, you have to drill through one side of the tower.....sounds hard, but really easy. There is a third bolt and spacer needed for the illusion tower. Make sure you get it included when you order the rack.

Thanks!